Free 3-D Video Player

Moderators: Rasa, trixie

Topic Author
Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Free 3-D Video Player

Post#1 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi,

Some links for 3-D HD videos have been showing-up recently, and they require a special player to view them. I found a freeware player that has good ratings (I've never used it myself), so if you want to check these titles out, you can download and give the player a shot.

NVIDIA 3D Vision Video Player 1.6.9 Or, get it from NVIDIA.

(Note: I have no idea if this player will work properly with any other gpu type - try it and see!)

For Linux, you can try the Bino Player - free and open source. There are instructions for compiling for windows and Mac, but be warned, it's not for beginners, and the project looks to be very much in the early development stages, so there isn't likely to be much individual support. The developer doesn't have time to maintain individual binaries himself, but you may find a recent one contributed by someone (a binary means a regular exe installation file for windows - and however they come for macs ;)). Currently there are binaries for both windows and mac (packaged in .zip files).

Vlc is also working on including 3-D support. It's still buggy, but you can take a look if you're interested.

Here's gspat's link to the Stereoscopic player

3-D Side by Side:

SBS 3D, short for side-by-side 3D, is a popular choice and widely used 3D format besides
frame-sequential 3D when it comes to airing 3D content over cable to 3D TV.

As you may know that almost all 3D TVs display 3D content in frame-sequential format,
that doesn't mean that the input 3D signal has to be frame-sequential 3D. Since nearly
all 3D TVs can convert the 3D input in a variety of different formats on the fly to
frame-sequential format for display, this saves great effort for 3D viewers. Among the
different input formats, side-by-side 3D is definitely the most popular one.

How SBS 3D Works

In side-by-side 3D, a full 1080p or 720p frame is intended for both eyes at the same
time with two halves on the left and right, and the entire frame for the left eye and
right eye respectively scaled down horizontally to fit the left-half and right-half of the
frame. For example, for a 720p content (resolution of 1280 x 720), the frame for the
left eye will be 640 x 720 and the frame for the right eye will also be at a 640×720
resolution. When such SBS signal is received by 3D TV, the 3D TV will split each frame
to extract the frame for each eye, and then will rescale these individual frames to a full
HD resolution. Then these individual frames will then be displayed alternately in a
frame-sequential manner which is in sync with your active shutter 3D glasses.

But the best part...

SBS 3D files let you watch HD videos they way YOU want to, Using the Stereoscopic player Linked above.

On your 3DTV as full 3D (whatever format of 3DTV you use)
On Multi-Monitor Goggles
On 3D Computer Monitors
On Regular TV's and Computer Monitors as 3D Anaglyph
On Regular TV's and Computer Monitors as 2D

Don't have a 3DTV yet but plan to? Get these files and be ready, but still be able to watch them NOW!

(Thanks to gspat for this.)
Ignorance and callousness are not virtues

A bleeding heart is a symbol of holiness, a symbol of compassion, not an epithet

When our discourse sinks to the level of meaningless, pejorative labels and personal name-calling rather than honest reflection and reasoned dialogue, we are no longer a people, but a mob

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Re: Free 3-D Video Player

Post#2 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:03 pm

The NVIDIA player looks to be the best one I saw out there. The iZ3D does not look too shabby either.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

gspat
Oh my Santa!

Post#3 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:16 pm

This player is awesome, and I was going to post it, but then I found the stereoscopic player I posted earlier (almost virtually identical).

It has a crapload more modes, and will create 3D anaglyph as well, so literally anyone can benefit from the video files.
Now I've got a link... What the hell do I do with it?

Considering helping us find links? Please read this!

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#4 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:20 pm

Ahh..... never even thought of looking for a "stereoscopic" player. That search would probably yield more results than searching a 3d player. I have not had the time to test these players, do they play anaglyphic and polarized as well as 3d-hd? New to the 3d scene and just wondering.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

gspat
Oh my Santa!

Post#5 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:46 pm

The one I posted (and reposted because I screwed up!) does, but it does not seem that the nvidia one does, at least I can't find the option to do it in the program.

The beauty of the SBS files is that one video file provides everything, if the player is capable

What the player does is provide output from the file, based on what you choose.

Your 3DTV (if you have one), should take the input and internally create the 3D effect you need.

If you don't have a 3DTV, you can either watch the file as a 3D anaglyph, which it creates "on the fly", or as a standard 2D HD video.

The disadvantage of these, or any HD files is the size, although anything HD will be large anyways and the size of these files is comparable with a plain 2D HD file of the same resolution.

Topic Author
Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Post#6 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:01 pm

This is from the NVIDIA site:

o Supported stereoscopic video layout
+ Monoscopic
+ Interlaced (Field-Sequential)
+ Side by Side
+ Over/Under
+ Multi-View (Tiled)
+ SIS Attachment

But I have no idea if it does anaglyph conversions (doesn't look like it), or if it's selectable (should be, though...).

Edit: Bino does, though...
Ignorance and callousness are not virtues

A bleeding heart is a symbol of holiness, a symbol of compassion, not an epithet

When our discourse sinks to the level of meaningless, pejorative labels and personal name-calling rather than honest reflection and reasoned dialogue, we are no longer a people, but a mob

gspat
Oh my Santa!

Post#7 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:30 pm

Found another free player...

Sview 2009

Code: Select all

http://www.sview.ru/en/sview2009/info

Also creates anaglyph from the file "On-the-fly"!

Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#8 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:47 am

Installed NVIDIA player. Downloaded "My Bloody Valentine 3D". Tried to play it. Got this error code....

"Could not render all streams. Maybe a codec necessary to play this file is not installed."

Fuck. |-(

gspat
Oh my Santa!

Post#9 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:23 am

try sview... it works really well

Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#10 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:52 am

"sView has stopped working. Windows will close the program and blah, blah, blah..."

*sigh*

pravinkumar
no0b

Post#11 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:50 am

Corel WinDVD Pro 11 is an advanced 2D and 3D video software player that delivers high-intensity Blu-ray 3D playback and also supports the latest video formats: AVCHD, AVCREC, DVD-Video, QuickTime, MPEG-2, FLV.
Knowing different technology related information regarding HQ, HD videos and editors is my hobby.

streetchild
no0b

Post#12 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:28 pm

Any1 knows free 3D player for linux? Thnx.

Return to “Movies-x264/MKV”