Name That One-Hit Wonder

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Topic Author
Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Re: Name That One-Hit Wonder

Post#16 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Bisc wrote:Image

This rap duo from Atlanta had a one hit wonder in the early 90's that was also used at sporting events.

Bisc wrote:
TrappedInLimbo wrote:Baha Men - Who Let the Dogs Out

Wrong :(

That's Tag Team and their song was Whoomp There It Is. I've played that song so much in the past that I know every word by heart. :D

I think we should set some ground rules for this game. From here on out, when you submit your guess, let's wait until it's confirmed before you post a new one-hit wonder, unless you are 100% sure you know who it is. Also, if the person that submitted the one-hit wonder confirms your guess, then that person should include the YouTube video, if it's available.

The term "one-hit wonder" is defined as a song that listed in the top ten (or at the very least, somewhere close to it) on the US Billboard charts.

Bisc wrote:It's the clash! But the clash are by no means a one hit wonder. In fact there are of the most famous British punk band ever. They had 3 commercially very successful albums, multiple hits (London calling, Should I stay or should I go, Train in Vain, Rock the Casbah...) and are in the rock and roll hall of fame. Definitely not a one hit wonder.

I guess I should have clarified. For this game, when I refer to one-hit wonders, I'm only going by songs that broke the top ten on the US Billboard charts. Since I've never DJ'd outside the US, I would have no idea about the success (or lack thereof) of any particular song on the other Billboard charts. Although The Clash was very popular, they had only one top ten hit with Rock The Casbah, which went to #8 on the US Billboard charts.

This Dutchman had a top ten hit in the early 90's that was featured in Saturday Night Live skits and later a SNL movie.

Name that one-hit wonder!
Last edited by Kenny_Tha_Killa on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cj002
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#17 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Easy! Haddaway - What is Love... Oh A Night at the Roxbury!

Also, no one answered mine from before:
A Canadian alternative group with a hit song in the late 90's that reached #1 in Canada and #9 in the US.

Topic Author
Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#18 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:17 pm

That's because we got derailed by a wrong answer.

Haddaway is correct!

As for yours....

This British new wave band had a hit in the mid 80's that was used in an Adam Sandler movie.

cj002
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#19 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:33 pm

You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) - Dead Or Alive

Sticking with the 80's synth, this French Canadian band's OHW sold two million copies.

Topic Author
Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#20 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:40 pm

No idea. (changing that pic was a good idea, though ;) )

Are you sure this is a band that cracked the top ten on the US Billboard charts?

cj002
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#21 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:45 pm

Ahh, no :( Didn't know that was a rule? Hit #61. Also, had to change the pic because after posting I realized her shirt said "I <3 Trans-X"
It was Trans-X - Living on Video (you may know the tune?)

Okay, how about this one... This rap group was "featured" on an episode of Scrubs.

Topic Author
Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#22 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:26 pm

^^I can say, without a doubt, that I've never heard of that song or that group. The chick kinda looks like Tiffany, though.

Yes, sadly, one of the most influential rap/hip hop groups of our time is technically a one-hit wonder. And they even owe some of that success to Aerosmith....

This Norwegian band had a hit in the mid 80's that was accompanied by a ground breaking video.

cj002
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#23 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:51 pm

A-Ha - Take on Me. - I almost used this one before ;)

So you're right, the pic was Run DMC, but on a sloppy error by me, as I meant to put up a different picture, so I'll use that one now.
(Also, as much as I agree they are sort of a OHW, Run DMC are awesome and really had a few songs that any decent person should be able to identify)

so THIS rap group was "featured" on an episode of Scrubs.

Topic Author
Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#24 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:09 am

It's funny because Starfox started a thread not too long ago where we listed all the lyrics to that song...... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23632

This paranoid pop singer had a mid-80's hit that featured a very well know singer providing backup vocals.

Bisc
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#25 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:37 am

Kenny_Tha_Killa wrote:
I guess I should have clarified. For this game, when I refer to one-hit wonders, I'm only going by songs that broke the top ten on the US Billboard charts. Since I've never DJ'd outside the US, I would have no idea about the success (or lack thereof) of any particular song on the other Billboard charts. Although The Clash was very popular, they had only one top ten hit with Rock The Casbah, which went to #8 on the US Billboard charts.

The problem with that is because I don't live in the US I don't know what was in the US Billboard charts. So with your rules I can't play. I know it's your game but this is an international forum with members from all around the world and it's not really fair to set up rules against all non US players.
I used to be a lot like you, now I'm only me. - Boysetsfire

Topic Author
Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#26 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:55 am

You've got wiki, right? ;) When in doubt, look it up.

These bands are pretty well known the world over (especially the British bands that have been listed) not just in the US. I really doubt that anybody knows off the top of their head what any given song (unless it was #1 for umpteen weeks in a row) reached on any of the billboard charts. I think of a group or a song and then look up their wiki to see what it placed on the charts. If it's somewhere around the top ten, then I'll go ahead and post it. As far as guessing goes, you can't honestly tell me that you don't know any of the performers that have been listed here so far. You'll just have to wait until you see one that you know. Kinda like when I have to wait until someone has guessed a foreign film over on the movie picture game because I don't speak French.

Bisc
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#27 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:08 am

The guessing part is not the problem it's posting a new one-hit wonder not knowing if they were popular in the US. And your comparison with the foreign film is lacking. It's not like you can only post foreign films in the Movie Picture Game.
I used to be a lot like you, now I'm only me. - Boysetsfire

TrappedInLimbo
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#28 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:45 am

Bisc wrote:
TrappedInLimbo wrote:Baha Men - Who Let the Dogs Out

Wrong :(

Meh, I'm not a music aficionado though, so whatever. For some reason I remember them having two guys, not three. I'll be elsewhere, not screwing your game anymore. :P

cj002
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#29 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:55 am

Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me (featuring Michael and Jermaine Jackson)
I'm watching you! ..oh wait, thats macxtc ;)

This late 80's song hit number 1 and featured a video that was cutting-edge (for the time).

Topic Author
Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#30 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:07 pm

Bisc wrote:The guessing part is not the problem it's posting a new one-hit wonder not knowing if they were popular in the US. And your comparison with the foreign film is lacking. It's not like you can only post foreign films in the Movie Picture Game.

Like I said, you can use wiki if you're not sure. All the information you need is at your fingertips.

Here's the real video for Rockwell....

cj002 wrote:This late 80's song hit number 1 and featured a video that was cutting-edge (for the time).

That's Billy Ocean and he's in no way, shape, or form a one-hit wonder. From his wiki.....

"After scoring his first four UK top 20 successes, seven years passed before he accumulated a series of transatlantic successes, including three U.S. number ones."

Return to “Games”