Sources List Disappearing on Mouse Hover

Moderators: Russtronic™, Way, Omen, Abe

Topic Author
fmitc042
no0b

Sources List Disappearing on Mouse Hover

Post#1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:20 pm

I recently upgraded my OS to 10.9 (Mavericks) I am running Google Chrome as my browser and have installed the latest version of IQS, DIVX, and VLC. I can provide more details on each of these if need be.

I'm having an issue with being able to click the source links for any tv show. I have checked multiple shows and none of them work. The source list shows up but as soon as I navigate my mouse pointer to hover over a link the whole list disappears. I can click the sources link to get the list back but then upon hover it disappears again. I'm not sure if this is browser related or not. I tried Safari and the source list works but IQS doesn't. Plus, I hate Safari.

Please advice how I should proceed. Thank you!

Topic Author
fmitc042
no0b

Re: Sources List Disappearing on Mouse Hover

Post#2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:02 pm

UPDATE: Only applies to lists that activate overflow in the div and require scrolling. If the list is short enough and doesn't need to be scrolled it works fine. This would appear to be a bug in the code that is manifesting in OSX 10.9 with Chrome 31.0. Thoughts from whomever codes this site would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Topic Author
fmitc042
no0b

Post#3 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:46 am

ISSUE RESOLVED

Ok, so despite no replies but after much self-research I have resolved this "bug". The case of the disappearing source list is caused do to scrolling issues that occur when a Mac user upgrades to OS X Mavericks.

The people at Apple have designed Mavericks to be extremely aesthetically pleasing. In doing so they insert lines of code into all applications that cause scroll bars to become hidden when the user is not scrolling. While the whole fading away of the scroll bars when not scrolling is nice visually Google Chrome has been written in such a way that it does not play well with this idea nor do websites that rely heavily on css that forces div boxes to use scroll bars on overflow et cetera.

These issues primarily have an effect on Google Chrome which is why the so called "bug" was not manifesting itself in Safari.

Anyway, long story short here is how you fix it...

Under the General tab in System Preferences do not select Always. That's right do not select Always. I know it sounds backwards but when you select Always it actually causes Mavericks to insert even more code in an attempt to force all applications to always show scroll bars anywhere and everywhere. For some reason this screws up source lists that have overflow from displaying properly. I have found that if you leave the default of Automatically based on mouse or trackpad checked everything works best. On top of that, you also benefit from the aesthetic value of this feature as well.

Bottom line: I had selected Always in an attempt to make Mavericks "better" when I should have just left things to default. The whole disappearing scroll bar thing actually works well. This change is very similar to the natural scroll feature upgrade in OS X Lion.

Apple continues to simplify things in an effort to make their systems more intuitive. For us adults it takes some getting used to but once you're used to it you realize it actually makes sense...kind of like Mac vs. PC. ;)

Kudos to ICE for letting me post this and best of luck if you come across this issue in upgrading. Hope this write-up has been informative and beneficial to all.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#4 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:57 am

Thank you for posting this solution. As this help section is designed to be more efficient by sorting the problem with those who have a solution. Apparently no one has had this problem before (Thus no answer) now we have the solution if it appears again. Thank You again...

JonnieGee
code of Deez

Post#5 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:24 pm

I have this same problem, but nothing I do fixes it. I tried everything in this post thread, but the problem remains. The only difference is I'm again running OSX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion, after a horrible experience with Mavericks. My Macbook Pro is state-of-the-art, less than a year old. Core i7 quad, 16gb ddr3 1600, etc. I've never used this device for ICE before this, as it was strictly for business. Now that it's for personal use, I loaded Chrome Version 33.0.1750.117 and set it up for ICE. When the sources box kept disappearing, I looked here and found this thread. Again I tried everything listed here, and searched online for any other solutions, but found none. I can't figure this one out by myself.

Can you suggest anything else? Thanks in advance - Jon
RESISTANCE IS NOT ALWAYS FUTILE

bryvx
no0b

Post#6 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:54 pm

I had the same problem! Thank you so much for helping! What worked for me as well was going to "System Preferences" -> "General" and clicking "When scrolling" as opposed to "Always" and it's worked again!

Return to “Apple-Mac-Linux”