No sound after convert

Moderators: Omen, Abe

Forum rules
For Search Purposes Only.. Any Violation Will Be Punished With "Death By Mugumba!"

Topic Author
Adizzle
Average User

No sound after convert

Post#1 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:59 pm

I am using Freemake to convert movies to avi cause that is all that seems to play on my surround sound, but some movies it loses the sound after I convert them like John Carter. What am I doing wrong?

gspat
Oh my Santa!

Re: No sound after convert

Post#2 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:17 pm

I must say, I had a go at using freemake myself and didn't like it.

I've always had great results from using xmedia recode. You could give that a try? It's not as fast as freemake, but it's much more configurable.

Do you have AC3filter installed? if you don't that may be the culprit.

I have a tutorial for using xmedia recode in the "Now what do I do with it?" link in my sig.
Now I've got a link... What the hell do I do with it?

Considering helping us find links? Please read this!

Way
RedTek

Post#3 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:21 pm

ok don't know the program your using but I ASS-u-ME your doing this cause of your device ?

If it won't play .mp4/.mkv then it most likely won't play the audio codec .

You should re-encode the audio to mp3 copy video and change the container to .avi

Don't know for sure don't know the codecs your device will support / don't know the codecs of the file your trying to play.

Audio has several codecs /.mp3/aac/ect.....
Video has several codecs xvid/mp4/wmp/ect......
The file can be in several containers/formats .avi/mp4/mkv/mov/ect.............
you got to do the work to find what you need for your device.
Then check the file and change to match what you need ...
I use when needed/never anymore Avidemux but you can use what ever you want just change the audio/video/container to your device needs.
I hope this made some sense ????

It is important to distinguish between a file format and an audio codec. A codec performs the encoding and decoding of the raw audio data while the data itself is stored in a file with a specific audio file format. Although most audio file formats support only one type of audio data (created with an audio coder), a multimedia container format (as Matroska or AVI) may support multiple types of audio and video data each will have its on format with in the container ;)

megcak555
Overachiever

Post#4 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Hey mate as g stated I too am not a huge fan of that converter however as dude has pointed out, yes you must change the audio to mp3 within the freemake program...also you will have other options to the video portion for converting your source to .avi...

...Once you have selected your source video and then clicked onto the .AVI button on the bottom of the program you have options to preset your conversion...

Click the little blue star/asterisk and the .avi presets will open up, you will see the "video codec" button defaulted at [H.264] ... I change mine to [XVID] for all mp4 and one note...mkv's (Matroska) do not convert properly to .avi's with this program...At least for me and my DVD surround sound system, which is Phillips ...

Below you must make sure that "Custom audio" is checked and the audio codec is set at MP3...

At that point you may simply hit the OK button and conversion will begin...in the future you will then only have to drop down the "Same as source" box and select the one marked "Custom" which will be your preset parameters that you just completed...

There are many other converters out on the net and though I do not 100% like this program I do find myself using it more than others I have...only for the speed and mp4 formats...

Trial and error unfortunately is one of the best ways to familiarize oneself with new programs (barring any available tutorials)...but I'm with you...It sucks when you've waited all that time only to find something went wrong...Good luck and once you've done it a few times you'll be able to search others converters and be just a little bit better at it... :D

Way
RedTek

Post#5 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:30 pm

I use or used Avidemux simple pick video,audio,format save as and wait.

megcak555
Overachiever

Post#6 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:59 pm

wayhighdudeman007 wrote:I use or used Avidemux simple pick video,audio,format save as and wait.

I've had this one loaded but never used as of yet...How's the conversion speed?? and do you personally change the video size output or leave it at it's default??

Way
RedTek

Post#7 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:28 pm

Copy video / Copy audio - change format 30 seconds

Copy either change other 8 mins

Change all 15

Super bad ass E-machines yeah ;)

Topic Author
Adizzle
Average User

Post#8 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:28 am

I am now using Avidemux, not sure if I'm using it right, not very techy with this kind of stuff. Going really slow.

Topic Author
Adizzle
Average User

Post#9 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:10 pm

thank you for all your help. I figured out what sound setting worked on Freemake (PCM is what worked).

Way
RedTek

Post#10 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Glad you got it sorted and working.

Have Fun ;)

gspat
Oh my Santa!

Post#11 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:17 pm

pcm is kinda huge, doesn't your system accept at least ac3?
Now I've got a link... What the hell do I do with it?

Considering helping us find links? Please read this!

Topic Author
Adizzle
Average User

Post#12 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:05 pm

gspat wrote:pcm is kinda huge, doesn't your system accept at least ac3?

it is but it was the only thing that worked with my surround sound. Freemake seems to have issuses with MKV files and surround sound systems. Wish everyone just used AVI, make things a little easier for me, ha

megcak555
Overachiever

Post#13 » Sun May 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Adizzle wrote:
gspat wrote:pcm is kinda huge, doesn't your system accept at least ac3?

it is but it was the only thing that worked with my surround sound. Freemake seems to have issuses with MKV files and surround sound systems. Wish everyone just used AVI, make things a little easier for me, ha

Here, here mate...I agree with you...I much prefer .avi's as well but a new era has encroached onto the uploading scene...Unfortunately for us...

Below is a VidHog link to a program I use for .mkv converting and it seems to be quick along with keeping the conversion minimal in size...As I stated above, I also have an issue with FreeMake during .mkv conversions...I literally have 13 converting programs that I play with and have found that I prefer this one for .mkv conversions...Only stickler with it (which for me I'm ok with...only for my own use) is that it routinely pops up it's "watermark" during viewing similar to a DVDScr...I use free version, with payed version watermark goes away...

Program:
MovaviVideoConverter

Code: Select all

http://www.vidhog.com/6inw4wpxql6b

let me know if you decide to use it and need help...Good luck- :D

Return to “Audio”