audio/ video not in synch with the other

Moderators: Omen, Abe

Forum rules
For Search Purposes Only.. Any Violation Will Be Punished With "Death By Mugumba!"

Topic Author
ovechkin
Average User

audio/ video not in synch with the other

Post#1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:30 pm

The audio is not synched up with the video for Les Miserables. Any solutions to this problem>?

Melting Point
Heart on for IceFlims

Re: audio/ video not in synch with the other

Post#2 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:12 pm

If you are streaming a video, then I don't know if there's a way to sync the audio/video (maybe someone else can answer that question?). But if you have downloaded a video for local playback, then there are 2 players I know that let you adjust the sync (and they're both free):

You didn't mention which operating system you're using, so a program that has Windows, Mac & Linux versions is VLC media player http://www.videolan.org/. While it's definitely not the friendliest program to use, the program allows you to adjust the audio/video sync. With VLC, you must first make sure the the minimal interface is turned off (toggle CTRL-H until you see a menu bar on top of the screen), then choose Tools, and then Track Synchronization. From that screen, there's an option called "Audio track synchronization" where you can increase or decrease the sync (this makes more sense once you've tried it!).

If you're using Windows, a much easier program to use that also allows you to adjust the sync is GOM Media Player http://www.gomlab.com/. With GOM, simply press the < or > key to adjust the sync forwards or backwards.

With either program, it's best to do this while the video is playing. You have to play with it awhile to get the hang of it, but it does work. Also it helps to write down (or save in a text file) the sync setting you used for the particular video you're watching, since if you want to re-watch it (or you stop the program in the middle of a video), the synchronization is reset back to zero. There may be a way to save the synchronization for a particular video, but I've never bothered to find out.

Also, don't be surprised if you need to resync the audio later on in a particular video. I've come across this many times (but not always), and it's just something you have to accept. You might be able to anticipate the need to do this by jumping ahead in the video and seeing if it's still in sync. If not, you may want to choose a sync value that's a bit off in both locations, but not massively off in either one. It all depends on what you find most annoying.

By the way, you don't have to stick with just one program or the other. I have several video players installed, and use different ones for different reasons.

Return to “Audio”