Can download movies, but video has lines across the screen

Moderators: Omen, Abe

Forum rules
For Search Purposes Only.. Any Violation Will Be Punished With "Death By Mugumba!"

Topic Author
rodentraiser
Heart on for IceFlims

Can download movies, but video has lines across the screen

Post#1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:54 pm

I downloaded IQS 5 and VLC, followed the tutorial (GREAT tutorial (y) - thank you!) and redid all the settings according to that, and except for Sharebees (not gonna worry about them), I can click on a link (have tried Orbs, 180, and Vidhog), get the movie or show downloaded, the VLC player will open up and the audio plays fine. The movie plays too, however, the screen is full of lines - it looks like static on an old TV. I can barely see what's happening. I tried this on a show I just watched with no problem the other night, so I'm thinking I missed a setting somewhere. I've double checked and can't seem to see what I've done wrong. I am using XP Firefox11 on an old computer with a fairly fast connection that gets the cache cleaned every night when I close FF and I turn it off and reboot it on a daily basis. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs have just been run and I defragged the computer two weeks ago. So what stupid thing did I do or not do this time? Thanks for any help you guys can give - I really appreciate it.

Way
RedTek

Re: Can download movies, but video has lines across the scre

Post#2 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:14 am

First off let me say Thank You for a clear and complete post.
It is a joy to see one, much better than a simple It don't work.

Now I do not know the problem and can as all my posts only give suggestions.
But I do have a few questions.
get the movie or show downloaded
> do you mean stream here?
on an old XP computer
> how old I have a HP one from '03
I downloaded IQS 5 and VLC
> did you have IQS or VLC ?

It may take time to sort out this problem your having, but I have time.
But you may want to search your problem on the internet, or you can
print screen>open>paint>paste>save as jpg> upload to a image site>post link here.
then we can all see what you see. (I am not on here to much anymore dadblasted !yard work)

I'm a hands on see it kinda person hence my PIC TUT.
So the print screen idea would help me out ;)

I got to see it :eek: but I am (waiting) thinking on it

Russtronic™
The One

Post#3 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:03 am

The only thing I can think is your vid card is not up to the task, I know thats a reach but what is your vid cache size? The new VLC is a straight up Memory/Resource HOG! But if you have the resource it is a Wonder! If your Display Card or resource is being taxed then that could definitely cause this is the Puter Pre 04?

zeroster1
no0b

Post#4 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 am

I had the same problem.

Go to Tools ..> preferences ..>video ..>output. Then change default to DirectX.

Worked for me.

Topic Author
rodentraiser
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#5 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Zeroster1, that was the fix! I changed the default to DirectX and it worked like a charm. Thank you so much!

AbeZ Apostle, I know what a vid card is, but I wouldn't have had any idea how to check it. Unfortunately, I'm not that bright about computers. I didn't realize that could be a problem, so I will keep that in mind - thanks for the suggestion.

Wayhighdudeman, thank you for your compliment. I am slow to learn, but eventually I do. LOL I apologize because I should have posted a pic the first time. But in case this helps anyone else, I already had IQS 4.96 and had just downloaded the VLC player, and yes, you're right, I did mean stream the movie, not download it. I don't always make that distinction. My computer is an eMachine from 2005 and I should have mentioned that too. I also hadn't disabled the old DivX player either, so I did that as well. And I'd like to thank you again for your tutorial on setting up the VLC player. That's sometimes the only way for me to be able to do something, is to see it like that. Show me a map and I have no problems, write me directions and I get completely frustrated and also lost. And thank you for your offer to take the time to help me. I think that was really cool!

RISUG
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#6 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:29 pm

The only thing I can think is your vid card is not up to the task, I know thats a reach but what is your vid cache size? The new VLC is a straight up Memory/Resource HOG! But if you have the resource it is a Wonder! If your Display Card or resource is being taxed then that could definitely cause this is the Puter Pre 04?

My ISP download speed is a pedestrian 15mbps.

My pc is a dinosaur:
Purchased October 2001
Compaq Presario 7110US
AMD Athlon Processor 1.33 GHz
266 MHz system bus
512 MB of DDR DRAM
60 Gig hard drive

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3
My browser is Internet Explorer 8

IQS 5.0 works perfectly on my antique.

Immediately after VLC queues the video file, I can jump to any point of the video with virtually no buffering.

In effect, after the 5 seconds it takes VLC to begin the stream, the experience is almost indistinguishable from playing a saved video file.

I'm at a loss as to why IQS 5.0 does not function in the same way for the vast majority; the vast majority who have rigs many times more powerful, and who use browsers that are not Internet Explorer.
Honesty is praised, and starves.

~ Juvenal

Return to “Video”