vlc not streaming

Moderators: Omen, Abe

Forum rules
For Search Purposes Only.. Any Violation Will Be Punished With "Death By Mugumba!"

Topic Author
beergolf
meh

vlc not streaming

Post#1 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:58 pm

I am having problems streaming vlc. I save the down load then i go to my downloads open the part file vlc opens but nothing plays, it seems to happen on mp4 downloads. Please let me know how to fix my issues thanks

gspat
Oh my Santa!

Re: vlc not streaming

Post#2 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:53 pm

If it's mp4s, then it's probably because the file isn't internally flagged for streaming.

It should play fine once the file is downloaded.

You should report these files, so we can check them out and remove any that don't stream,
Now I've got a link... What the hell do I do with it?

Considering helping us find links? Please read this!

rm11
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#3 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:59 pm

i dont think hes streaming it.. more like saving it then opening it while its still downloading
when you open the part file.. make sure not to click "fix video" when that pop up comes up in vlc

Topic Author
beergolf
meh

Post#4 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:02 am

Yeah it is only mp4 files and they do play once fully downloaded, guess i will have to find avi files if i want to open while downloading, thanks

nerdyplayer
meh

Post#5 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:21 am

i've been having the same problem with what i think are mkv files. but even so, i could never get any of the videos to stream with vlc. if i use the other button it will stream, but will never work with vlc unless i download the whole video... am i suppose to click on vlc and then just open the file?

Way
RedTek

Post#6 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:25 am

VLC will play all formats the streaming with VLC will only work if you have good ISP speed and good download speed from the host.
Reasons why VLC doesn't stream well is that is has a small cache size meaning that it only downloads like 5 seconds worth at a time. So if your speed from the host or isp is slow you will have the buffer / play, pause problem. If you do then use that other button Divx.
Divx caches to you HD the whole file thus if you pause and let it buffer/download for a period of time then play it you will not have a problem. This is the same as downloading it and watching while downloading with VLC.
Some hosts work better than others depending on your location from them.

When you download a file and want to open it with VLC then find the location you downloaded it to there will be 2 files with the same name if you have your folder options set the show the file extensions then one of them will have .part at the end. Right click it if you don't have vlc set as your default player and select open with vlc. If you have vlc set as your default player then you can simply left click the file and vlc will open it. When you get the error saying do you want to repair it click play as is.
If you not sure which of the two to pick click on one of them and then the other one will be 0 kbs in size and the other will be increasing.(this info will show in the bottom of Windows explorer window) Open the larger of the two files.

Hope this info helps.

nerdyplayer
meh

Post#7 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:52 pm

i usually try to pick the DIVx one because that kinda works better for me. am i suppose to just open the video with vlc or do i have to download the file first?

Way
RedTek

Post#8 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:29 pm

When you download a file and want to open it with VLC then find the location you downloaded it to there will be 2 files with the same name if you have your folder options set the show the file extensions then one of them will have .part at the end. Right click it if you don't have vlc set as your default player and select open with vlc. If you have vlc set as your default player then you can simply left click the file and vlc will open it. When you get the error saying do you want to repair it click play as is.
If you not sure which of the two to pick click on one of them and then the other one will be 0 kbs in size and the other will be increasing.(this info will show in the bottom of Windows explorer window) Open the larger of the two files.

rza
meh

Post#9 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:34 am

I believe what some of the previous posters are saying (at least it's what I am saying), is that using this technique (above), I used to be able to preview files while they were downloading. Now when I drag and drop those PART files into VLC player, I do not get the prompt window request for "repairing/playing as is". It simply just doesn't work. The window starts as if it's going to play something and then just stops almost immediately. If anyone knows for sure the reason why (though I do like the previous speculations, they are much better than I had deduced) or knows of a fix, I would be much obliged. PS. I did an uninstall/reinstall, but that did not work.

Way
RedTek

Post#10 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Yea I have ran across a few less than 12 videos that had to fully download before VLC will open it ..

If you have a download going and VLC will not open it (opens but plays nothing) then just wait on it to finish then play the video.

It is the way the file is encoded or packed not sure but I have found a few that won't play untill fully downloaded. But not many ;)

Return to “Video Players”