VLC won't work - Prob. my settings are a little scrambled?

Moderators: Omen, Abe

Forum rules
For Search Purposes Only.. Any Violation Will Be Punished With "Death By Mugumba!"

Topic Author
Erilu77
Average User

VLC won't work - Prob. my settings are a little scrambled?

Post#1 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:17 am

Hi,

I'm following all the proper buttons to the stream screen and then to the vlc one, but I'm thinking maybe something in my vlc player isn't fixed properly? (though i have not moved anything around and a few days ago everything worked just fine) (i also tried with other links and nothing) *inserting desperate & going nuts face here*

i try the option of 'open' and then the option of 'save' after the button with the orange cone but the play button won't do anything and the blue 'thinking' bits over the clock and the yellow thinking' band won't work either. sometimes i get a pop up note with a phrase in red letter but I've forgotten what it says, only that there's some error of some sort...

help please??

bro339
Overachiever

Re: VLC won't work - Prob. my settings are a little scramble

Post#2 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:47 am

have you tried downloading the video 1st and later watching it on vlc?? if you use this method and there are still those lines there, then smtg is wrong with your vlc player.. :)

Way
RedTek

Post#3 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:57 am

This is prolly your error :

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL; Web Address of the file; Check the log for details.

2 things cause this error ;
Make sure your AVS/Firewall will allow VLC internet connection.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=68629 here is a post on the same thing.

Also I have had this problem when the host sites have excessive load and they won't let you connect. Try different source with less load or wait and try later and it will work.

i try the option of 'open' this is streaming should connect to the host and automatically play the file

the option of 'save' this will first download the file to your hard drive then when it is finished it will automatically play the file.

The save option is the same as downloading except it will open the player automatically and play the file when finished.

From whatever file source your trying if you use the download button and download you will see the speed of the download in kbps you will need to look at the download speed from all the hosts and decide which gives you the best speed from where you live. Then I would use that host or hosts for streaming when you can and download from the slower ones. This will help with the start/stop/buffer problems and the cannot connect error.
Or you can use divx like before and pause it and watch the progress bar at the bottom of the player buffer a cushion before starting the file. For the newer file formats you will have to upgrade the divx player.

Topic Author
Erilu77
Average User

Post#4 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:41 pm

honestly i thought it was because as you said the sites were too busy, but i've tried different hours and different sites from the list of links at random shows and movies and nothing,.... it still has that error, what exactly what do i do with the firewall (i have McAfee) and how do i reset the vlc player? where do i go exactly and what do i do??

I've read the threads of the link you suggested and the ones that some mention there... but half of what i read might as well be Egyptian hieroglyphs cause i'm lost... my level of tech savvyness is that of a toddler in the early 80s (toddlers now may know what to do) *desperate kind of laugh*

Way
RedTek

Post#5 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Open McAfee goto>firewall>settings>Internet Connections for Programs find VLC and give it access ;)

If that don't fix it come back and let it be known.

Topic Author
Erilu77
Average User

Post#6 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:23 am

I wasn't sure if i did right but now its working! Thanks. (sun)

Return to “Video Players”