Comparison of IQS 5.0 to 4.96

Moderators: Omen, Abe

Forum rules
For Search Purposes Only.. Any Violation Will Be Punished With "Death By Mugumba!"

Topic Author
theomms
no0b

Comparison of IQS 5.0 to 4.96

Post#1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Upgraded to IQS 5.0 from 4.96.

IQS 4.96 was working great across 3 of my computers, but after the upgrade to IQS 5.0
Icefilms still works, but has lost some of its useability. Here is a comparison...

IQS 4.96:

-I could start a stream then pause it for 1-2minutes to let the video load and create a buffer that would let me watch a 1 hours show with no pauses
- If I wanted to fast forward or rewind there were no problem as long as that portion of the file was already downloaded
-I could see connection speeds and status

IQS 5.0:

-streams cannot stream without pausing to buffer several times throughout the video
-have made all recommended settings to VLC, which helped but still many pauses during playback
-if I want to fast forward or rewind there are long buffer times
-there is no way to view connection status or speed

The work around is to download the file (rather than stream it) and watch the "video.mp4.part" file using vlc as it downloads. The problems with this workaround are:

-I could do the same thing in IQS 4.96
-I have to download a video file that I will erase after I am finished watching
-in FF12 win7...if a video.mp4.part file is open in VLC when the download completes, it will cause an error in saving the file
-and maybe most important: if I am just downloading files instead of streaming, I can do the same thing with torrent files and get faster DL speeds.

Finally, I appreciate the all of the work that is done to maintain Icefilms and I hope that my critique will help with the continued improvement of the great service that it provides for free.

Maybe in the meantime add an upgrade called IQS 5.01 that gives three options 1.stream using VLC 2. stream using the old DIVx 3. download file.

Way
RedTek

Re: Comparison of IQS 5.0 to 4.96

Post#2 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:15 am

theomms wrote:Upgraded to IQS 5.0 from 4.96.

IQS 4.96 was working great across 3 of my computers, but after the upgrade to IQS 5.0
Icefilms still works, but has lost some of its useability. Here is a comparison...

IQS 4.96:

-I could start a stream then pause it for 1-2minutes to let the video load and create a buffer that would let me watch a 1 hours show with no pauses
- If I wanted to fast forward or rewind there were no problem as long as that portion of the file was already downloaded

IQS 5.0:

-streams cannot stream without pausing to buffer several times throughout the video
-have made all recommended settings to VLC, which helped but still many pauses during playback (can't help your slow speed)
-if I want to fast forward or rewind there are long buffer times (can't help your slow speed)
-there is no way to view connection status or speed (when downloading you can)

The work around is to download the file (rather than stream it) and watch the "video.mp4.part" file using vlc as it downloads. The problems with this workaround are:

-in FF12 win7...if a video.mp4.part file is open in VLC when the download completes, it will cause an error in saving the file
-and maybe most important: if I am just downloading files instead of streaming, I can do the same thing with torrent files and get faster DL speeds.

Finally, I appreciate the all of the work that is done to maintain Icefilms and I hope that my critique will help with the continued improvement of the great service that it provides for free.

Maybe in the meantime add an upgrade called IQS 5.01 that gives three options 1.stream using VLC 2. stream using the old DIVx 3. download file.

OH good lord let me break this down :

The file was downloading before just to a temp location Make and set your download to some place you will remember to empty I use Temp Folder on my desktop then empty every night

The work around is to download the file (rather than stream it) (you have always downloaded the file and still are it is not magic how it gets to you) and watch the "video.mp4.part" file using vlc as it downloads. The problems with this workaround are: OH here we go

-I could do the same thing in IQS 4.96 (and still can)
-I have to download a video file that I will erase after I am finished watching (always did it was called Divx-Cache) you know when problems happen clean this
-in FF12 win7...if a video.mp4.part file is open in VLC when the download completes, it will cause an error in saving the file (must be windows ? always did just ignore that and rename the .part file> delete the .part then you will get another error saying that the file may not work/be stable>Ignore that also) do you need help showing the extensions of files in a folder?
-and maybe most important: if I am just downloading files instead of streaming, I can do the same thing with torrent files and get faster DL speeds.(No you can not, to do torrents you must/should, to get good speed, also upload (seed)> this means that you download for a while then stop and upload for a while seems like a waste off bandwith to me but your call)

Topic Author
theomms
no0b

Post#3 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:37 am

Thanks wayhighdudeman007, but I understand how everything you commented on works. I was just pointing out the ways in which I personally found IQS 5.0 to be less convenient to use than the previous version.

For example:

-before upgrade: 1. click play 2. pause for a minute to let it download 5-6megs 3. press play and watch the whole show with no problems

-after upgrade: 1. click play 2. click open with VLC 3. plays for a while but pauses to buffer every couples of minutes

Keep in mind that this is on exactly the same computer on the same network. So, I appreciate the continued development of Icefilms, but the upgrade has made it less useable for me and I am hoping my feedback will help bring about solutions...especially since others are having a similar experience.

supernova
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#4 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:55 am

Theomms I agree with you about Divx Web Player option.Would be great if we could choose between VLC and Divx player for avi files.I Know Filehosts have their own Divx player but I liked IQS Divx player with speed meter.I don't have problems with VLC player buffering since I set that VLC cache or whatever its name to 10 seconds.

SilencedScream
meh

Post#5 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:17 am

I have to agree with the other posters.

If I use anything other than 2Shared, VLC is MANY times slower than DivX was, even with the recommended settings.

If I use 2Shared (and the download option that Wayhigh helped me with, since streaming doesn't work), videos load superbly... but only load about half the time. I'm not quite sure why, but the player will occasionally flicker like it's booting up videos (again, half the time), but then flicker back as if not doing anything.

A DivX option would be nice - allow those who prefer VLC to use it, allow those who prefer DivX to use it.

Topic Author
theomms
no0b

Post#6 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:47 pm

I figured out a temporary solution of setting the cache to it max (60000ms)

Another guy came to the same conclusion and posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=68562&p=189458#p189458

bswinkle
no0b

Post#7 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:53 pm

wayhighdudeman007 wrote:
theomms wrote:Upgraded to IQS 5.0 from 4.96.

IQS 4.96:

IQS 5.0:

-have made all recommended settings to VLC, which helped but still many pauses during playback (can't help your slow speed)
-if I want to fast forward or rewind there are long buffer times (can't help your slow speed)
-there is no way to view connection status or speed (when downloading you can)

OH good lord let me break this down :

The file was downloading before just to a temp location Make and set your download to some place you will remember to empty I use Temp Folder on my desktop then empty every night

The work around is to download the file (rather than stream it) (you have always downloaded the file and still are it is not magic how it gets to you) and watch the "video.mp4.part" file using vlc as it downloads. The problems with this workaround are: OH here we go

-I could do the same thing in IQS 4.96 (and still can)
-I have to download a video file that I will erase after I am finished watching (always did it was called Divx-Cache) you know when problems happen clean this
-in FF12 win7...if a video.mp4.part file is open in VLC when the download completes, it will cause an error in saving the file (must be windows ? always did just ignore that and rename the .part file> delete the .part then you will get another error saying that the file may not work/be stable>Ignore that also) do you need help showing the extensions of files in a folder?
-and maybe most important: if I am just downloading files instead of streaming, I can do the same thing with torrent files and get faster DL speeds.(No you can not, to do torrents you must/should, to get good speed, also upload (seed)> this means that you download for a while then stop and upload for a while seems like a waste off bandwith to me but your call)

I have seen you refer to peoples "slow speeds" several times on this forum. Pretty much everybody can come up with a 250k download speed these days. Its the filehosts that at times only give out a measly 40 or 70k the cause the buffering problems.

bswinkle
no0b

Post#8 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:09 pm

theomms wrote:I figured out a temporary solution of setting the cache to it max (60000ms)

Another guy came to the same conclusion and posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=68562&p=189458#p189458

that still just kicks the problem a miniute down the road. The best way to watch right now is to download the file and then start watching it when it's around a quarter of the way complete, depending on file size and whatever measly bandwidth the filehosts are giving out.

Return to “IQS”