"Owned & Operated" disappeared from doc listing?

Moderators: Omen, Abe

Forum rules
For Search Purposes Only.. Any Violation Will Be Punished With "Death By Mugumba!"

Topic Author
crackin
meh

"Owned & Operated" disappeared from doc listing?

Post#1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:34 pm

I was following the view count of "Owned & Operated" for the last couple months and found yesterday that for some reason it's no longer listed in the documentary category, sorting by any criteria. I can find the movie page for it by using the site search, and those search results also include results that point to the various sorting criteria on the doc browse page (i.e. list documentaries by most viewed)... but just browsing category, it's no longer showing up.

Topic Author
crackin
meh

Re: "Owned & Operated" disappeared from doc listing?

Post#2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:36 pm

As a side note, I noticed the IMDB data doesn't update. I assume that's because it's not being grabbed from the IMDB site and is just static info, for all movies on icefilms?

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#3 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:55 pm

As a general rule links only last for thirty days in the video link forum, at which time they get reviewed and either are edited/deleted due to dead links, or are moved to "the stash", which is a contributor and up accessible forum. Sometime links will remain longer in the member access forum as myself and other staff do this in our spare time. A search of the stash showed nothing, so it was removed due to dead links. As for finding it on the mainsite with no sources: the forum and mainsite are not linked together. All links on the mainsite are added manually. This helps us ensure the mainsite links are of quality adhering to our standards, for the most part. Hope I answered your question satisfactorily.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Topic Author
crackin
meh

Post#4 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:49 pm

I'm not super familiar with how the site works, so it might just be my unfamiliarity but I'm not quite understanding your explanation.

You say that links only last for 30 (I assume you meant to say 30 days?), but it was listed along side other films that have post dates going back several years. It might be that you're referring to a different list of links than what I meant.

Basically what I WAS seeing, if I went to the main site and clicked on "movies", then clicked on the subtab "documentaries"... the default view sorts all documentaries by # of views. O&O has about 78k views so it showed up under the 70k heading along with the other 4-5 movies there. Yesterday I went to check that same page and it's just gone. The other movies listed under 70k have post dates of 2009 and 2010 while O&O was originally posted just earlier this year.

I can still search for it and it shows up... I was just wondering why it wasn't showing up in those listings, since it has the required popularity, rating, release date AND add date to show up under any of the sorting methods.

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#5 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:10 pm

Listings for any movie/show remain on the mainsite even after all sources for said movie/show are dead or removed. I answered your question specifically thinking you were referring to the links in the forum section. There are no longer any sources for it. I am not certain what time constraints prevail for mainsite links that have no sources versus how long they can be referenced. Way or Gspat can answer this definitively.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

gspat
Oh my Santa!

Post#6 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:18 pm

This is a simple one..

The file no longer exists.

While the file listed in the sources existed, you could check the page views for it.

Once the script determined that the file no longer existed on the filehost, it removed the source. Since there is no longer a source, the page no longer displayed, unless you explicitly search for it.
Now I've got a link... What the hell do I do with it?

Considering helping us find links? Please read this!

Topic Author
crackin
meh

Post#7 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Yup, I see now. So if I submit a new link (or maybe a couple of them) then the listing would show up again?

I haven't submitted movies/links to this site before, so might take me a minute to read up and see what the process is. Are there sites that are more or less reliable than others? I don't know what site the previous link was pointing to, but any idea if there are "typical reasons" why a link might have died? Or could it have only been that the person who upped it must have removed it?

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#8 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:24 pm

To post links please read: http://forum.icefilms.info/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=58168.
Are there sites that are more or less reliable than others?

That is a dicey question right now. Host issues are in a whirlwind at this point, you will just have to follow posts on the board pertaining to that.
but any idea if there are "typical reasons" why a link might have died? Or could it have only been that the person who upped it must have removed it?

The likely causes they have been removed are: a) they have been removed by the host as being in violation of DMCA laws. b) time has expired on the file for the account on which is was uploaded, usually due to the file being on a free account. c) the user deleted the file or made the link non-accessible, which is highly unlikely.

Topic Author
crackin
meh

Post#9 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:16 pm

I finally got around to figuring this out and uploading new video files, but I posted a thread over a week ago and it hasn't shown back up on the main site yet. Does it normally take more than a week, or was I suppose to post this somewhere else too?

Thread is here (in the "links > videos > docs" section) :http://forum.icefilms.info/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=82881

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#10 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Files do not automatically get added to the mainsite. Every so often staff members with access to the mainsite(the mainsite and forum are separate) peruse the link and request forums for links to add to the mainsite.

Topic Author
crackin
meh

Post#11 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:29 am

Posted 3 weeks ago and its still not listed... I've been watching the main site and I've seen lots of other stuff go up during that time including several other documentaries.

I'm not trying to break any rules around here or anything, but would it help at all if I also posted this in the request forum, and then just replied to my own request with the links?

Way
RedTek

Post#12 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:43 pm

Topic Author
crackin
meh

Post#13 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks Way. :)

I see the 180 and BillionUpload links expired since uploaded, so I've re-upped to both and updated the links in the thread. Also included BayFiles too. Can those links be added to the main-site listing as well?

Topic Author
crackin
meh

Post#14 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks again way! (laugh)

So, is BayFiles not yet/currently supported on icefilms? I think I might have read somewhere on here that people were having some problems with that site, but I wasn't sure if they were prohibitive problems or not...

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#15 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Bayfiles is not IQS supported, so it can not be put on the mainsite.

Return to “Other”