Canadian Copyright Modernization Act - Bill C-11

Any new Computer, Web, Virus or Danger to our Friends or Site.

Moderators: Russtronic™, Way, Omen

Topic Author
HillbillyJr
Heart on for IceFlims

Canadian Copyright Modernization Act - Bill C-11

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:23 pm

Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

As I understand it this Bill, passed in 2012, took effect January 1st, 2015.

This is the best summary / comparison I could find:

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2012/06/cana ... t-success/

Still unsure how it will impact Canadian users of Icefilms but thought I'd share it with others.

Hope you find it helpful and any feedback as to it's effects would be appreciated.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Re: Canadian Copyright Modernization Act - Bill C-11

Post#2 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:33 am

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#3 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:33 am

I like Tun's response to the article.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#4 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:36 pm

Russtronic™ wrote:'constant vigilance'

Ditto!
Fight the bastards!

" While many dismissed the role of digital activism on copyright, the reality is that it had a huge impact on the shape of Canadian copyright. The public voice influenced not only the contents of the bill, but the debate as well with digital locks the dominant topic of House of Commons debate and media coverage until the very end. Bill C-11 remains a “flawed but fixable” bill that the government refused to fix, but that it is a significantly better bill than seemed possible a few years ago owes much to the hundreds of thousands of Canadians that spoke out on copyright. "

Edit:

It could still impact the casual user, i.e. the noob but most of us here know how to use transload services, VPNs
DVD43, AnyDVD and other bits of workarounds and software to circumvent blockages, life will continue.

Thank You to Russtronic™ for my sig!

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#5 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:36 pm

A couple more years then; NANANANNER BOOBOO!!!!

https://torrentfreak.com/in-europe-pira ... aw-150104/

Let’s take that again: a Pirate Party representative is writing the European Union’s official evaluation of the copyright monopoly, and listing a set of necessary changes.

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#6 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:24 pm

That article can be very misleading for those that do dot understand the due process. Members of several political parties including pirate party have been writing revisional laws on this for years. Years. Obtaining majority vote to have them enacted is the only thing that matters. Even then, they can be shot down with the veto of a higher office. I realize TF is not responsible for educating people on political and judicial process, but that article is just poor and seems to be written for hype.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#7 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:39 pm

I full well realize the "Political Process" And the author of that piece is;
Rick Falkvinge is a regular columnist on TorrentFreak, sharing his thoughts every other week. He is the founder of the Swedish and first Pirate Party, a whisky aficionado, and a low-altitude motorcycle pilot. His blog at falkvinge.net focuses on information policy.

The winds are changing. The Human Rights Violations are whats going to bring it all down. Even here, as mentioned in the story, they are pushing to far. Prison terms for modifying your "Playstation" or fines for what you sold at a Garage Sale.

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#8 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:21 pm

Don't care that he is a regular columnist. Really do not care what his hobbies are. Garage sale laws, playstation hacks, all old news. Those very points were brought up years ago as legal targets. I have yet to see an article on a successful conviction. What winds are changing here? The article was useless in providing any new or truely relevant information. They should have titled it "New legislation being proposed again for same matters" . Then they could have told us about the author's hobbies. Tell me when new legislation is introduced or when old legislation moves forward, but please do not sensationalized rehashed legislation for the sake of posting an article. Geez.

*directed at columnist*

Return to “Security”