Ad blocker

Any new Computer, Web, Virus or Danger to our Friends or Site.

Moderators: Russtronic™, Way, Omen

Topic Author
slapthetoad
meh

Ad blocker

Post#1 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:34 am

Hello

I have clicked ads and will click ads. I can not afford to click on suspicious ad or ones that cause my healthy computer to freeze and act stupid. I notice a ad that said if you love Icefilms turn off adblocker even if for a little while.

That's when I spent an enormous amount of time trying to keep control of my browser and the predominant color became red. It's silly. I know revenue flow is important (serious). My computer takes a long time to clean up when infected. Then the ad this morning when I got tired of the virus alerts and turned on ad blocker, I had an STD ad or something to that effect when using ad blocker. Really?

Thanks for all you have done but this is ridiculous

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Re: Ad blocker

Post#2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:56 pm

Unfortunately ads are a necessary evil. These rogue ads have been a pain in the ass since switching away from the adbrite network. I do not think anything can be done about them other than hand pruning them, and they do pop up like weeds. Eventually(and seemingly constantly) Abe finds and kills those ads on the network. I will pass this along to the boss.

It is harder than you might think for administration to find these ads without somebody reporting them.

To help us improve your experience here, next time please include the url of the offending ad. This can be obtained by clicking on the "about" button in the virus notification pop up window.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Windy_J
no0b

Post#3 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:47 am

Repdaddy wrote:To help us improve your experience here, next time please include the url of the offending ad.

A few offending ad urls:

http://n210adserv.com/ads?key=1331cb080 ... height=600
http://n210adserv.com/ads?key=d9feafafd ... &height=90
http://n210adserv.com/ads?key=53e2b2f03 ... height=250

Please take care of them. All three sent Avast! into high alert.

cito
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#4 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:20 pm

Combining these 2 solved it for me, but adding the 3rd plugin you'll be good to go.

Firefox released a new version '42' couple days ago.

here's the changelog: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/4 ... easenotes/

Now web browsers have had a "do not track" setting, and even "incognito" mode so it didn't save cookies/cache

that's how the old private browsing in Firefox worked also, the old version didn't save any cookies, no history, no cache, nothing. So noone could sit down at your pc and see where you'd been.

But in version 42 they've now added new feature that is really really really pissing off Ad networks and it's hilarious!

in Version 42, Firefox added new features to private browsing. Active Tracking Protection, so in private browsing the browser will block and ignore all elements from ad networks that "track interests", "where you came from", etc.

now here's the good part.

When you have adblocking installed (Mine is at my router. I run a plugin on my router that you can add blocklists to and it updates daily so all devices on your LAN have ads blocked even mobile devices.), but any of your favorite ad blocking plugins.

Then you combine it with Firefox's brand new Active Tracking Protection that blocks hidden elements, blocks audio from these networks, etc.

So now problem solved.

if you google and check out the popular ad agency forums, oh man are they mad at firefox! haha.

Firefox warned them months back to stop, if they continued to ignore the "do not track" setting the developers would stop it at the browser and straight up block them.

but instead of just doing it by default across the browser, they do give you choice to browse in the clear or in Firefox click the menu button in top right and click "New Private Window" and enjoy, Firefox new active tracking blocking plus add in adblock then you can add in NoScript plugin

So Firefox version 42 active tracking blocking built into Private mode now.
Adblock or any ad blocking at router level, app, or browser plugin
NoScript plugin (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... b-dl-users)

You will never see an ad, and you can turn off all scripts running on a website. from the tiniest to the most elaborate.

Don't want a website's google analytics to count you, no script it.
Don't want Statcounter to count you, no script it.

even a simple java hit counter you can no script it.

Enjoy.

I miss the original Web1.0 back in 90's early 2000's when websites were ran for fun, learning, hobby, and hangouts.
web2.0 has made everyone think EVERY piece of content can be monetized so it's just spam.

I cut cable back in 1996. I've pirated since 96 for sole purpose I couldn't take the commercials and spam anymore. (I'm a much older guy that probably a lot of users). Anyhow back then we traded ftp sites, and used newsgroups (which we still use newsgroups, everything on torrent and here is on newsgroups sometimes before it even hits here or torrents)
and of course the old days of irc for ftp collecting. Slackware linux public ftp had a hidden directory you had to type the folder name in manually to access it that had the tv shows ripped from ATI wonder card. :P

So we get spammed walking outside the house, billboards, signs, posters, dozens every block.
we get spammed in our postal mail
spammed on radio
spammed on tv

I finally cracked.

I've been running a streaming radio server for 10 years now 24/7 except occasional downtime at my colocated server, ad free no talking, no ads, just an Auto DJ script I wrote in perl that crossfades new tracks in and out pseudo-randomly.
I do it for fun.

Anyhow enjoy the tips, or not.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#5 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:38 pm

I miss the original Web1.0 back in 90's early 2000's when websites were ran for fun, learning, hobby, and hangouts.
web2.0 has made everyone think EVERY piece of content can be monetized so it's just spam.

You left out the part where we have to pay Hosting IP and Server, Software and Registrar. We have Grown so much in Worldwide Popularity that the Server has to be upgraded all the time. At this moment I just checked there are 100038 people browsing or streaming at this very second. Think of the Bandwidth Cost then we will be happy if you Fund Us so we can do away with the Ad's... We don't even make enough from the ad's to keep doing this. Think about it.

Oh and by the way I was doing this in the early 80's.

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#6 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:54 pm

Complete blocking of ads is not only pissing off the ad networks, it is hurting websites. Tons of websites are now blocking access to content when tools like adbock are detected. I am not suggesting Icefilms is planning on going this route, but you can bet your bottom dollar if everybody continues to full on block everything, you will see more and more sites restricting access.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

cito
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#7 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:46 pm

For instructions on bypassing and blocking adblock detectors see bottom of this post

I'm an old ham radio guy, we like to tinker, and of course I've been in pcs since I was 11. Playing in basic on PDP mainframe at my moms job in 80s.

I pay for colocation. But like my fidonet in 80s its out of fun and I have forums and streaming radio no ads on my current server 10 years. Since its colocation I don't pay for hosting "I own the physical box, a Debian server", I just pay rent for the rackspace.

I also use my colocated server for myself moving things around, run a non exit tor node, compiling my scripts to test.

Seed box, ssh to remote desktop of Xwindows to test or proxy. I've got a /29 routed to me, which I tunnel 1 IP to my home as a backup IP "in case"

But it costs money. But I personally don't want strangers paying for my fun, and have to market them to hang out on my forums where its mostly tech talk, security, etc. But its fine however others want to run their sites. But I also like to navigate and have 100% control of my content I'm navigating through.

Before Tim Berners Lee gave away html open sourcing it, but it didn't really catch fire until html 2.0 in 1995.
I also ran an Archie site in early 90s when I had a 386 set up on peachnet.edu in college data center off in a corner on the old 10base2 coax Ethernet. The problem was it wasn't TCP/IP half the damn data center was still using Banyan Vines networking, so dealing with that was a major headache. The dos packet driver was a headache.

For nostalgia, all the Dos networking tools/servers from pre windows. ( http://www.lanet.lv/simtel.net/msdos/lan-pre.html ) , and then Linux a Unix like system inspired by minix popped up and "free" so that's when servers were cheap and easy and private owned isps popped up as it was cheap to buy a portmaster or usr total control rack and use Linux for radius.

I'm just old school. Websites can run however they wish.

I personally have ran colocation since we'll off and on since early 90s. I've hosted doom/quake servers, ftp pirate servers, newsgroup uuencoder auto uploaded but had problems with yencode when it replaced uuencode on the auto stuff and my interest changed again, various stuff, there's the tech forum, the hidden Tor .onion forum, Minecraft server for folks and teamspeak. I'm always playing in something. But to me its fun. I personally don't want others to pay for my fun. I guess when its no longer fun I'll slap an AdSense bar on it and let it make pennies.

Speaking of no fun...Want a real headache setup fidonet on a 486 with wildcat bbs software was a pain, I only had 3 modems :-(
But I paid for 3 phone lines for the hobby.

-------------------------------------------

Bypassing or Blocking Adblock detectors

As for servers that try and stop users that run adblock. Noscript plugin will turn off the easy "adblock detector" scripts, mainly used in blogs, WordPress, the small end plugin, easy peasy.

But to get the sophisticated ones here's the solution.

So if a server blocks access cause it detects adblock you have 2 easy choices. 1 is a specialized blocklist you add.

Go Here and add this specialized blocklist: https://adblockplus.org/subscriptions
Scroll down to "Adblock Warning Removal List
removes anti-adblock warnings and other obtrusive messages"

use that special blocklist next to your already used blocklist

Or you can use this

Use Greasemonkey plugin.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... asemonkey/

Then get this script: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/735-a ... iller-reek
So you go to site that blocks access if it detects adblock plugin ,, this script turns off anti-adblock scripts. No more nag.
Icefilms used greasemonkey or used to for the old divx player , to bypass ads and paywall popups on hosting sites.

I recommend both solutions.

Enjoy watching videos without getting nagged during ads, or enjoy favorite news site without nags or paywall blocks ;-)

Yes web freedom goes both ways, web sites can carry whatever content, ads, etc, but as one navigating web you have freedom to pick apart html and web site scripts as you please, remember its "open source" :-P

Enjoy. Remember You use the web, so use it with full control. Don't let it use you.

Support those you wish by all means, and screw the rest.

We're pirates and hackers mixed among you, we don't really conform, personally I'm a pirate, not just movies and videos, mp3, but, pirated leaked source code, software keys, html, php, java, etc if its online it can be manipulated, modified before it touches your browser to strip out DRM and copy protection, and adblock detectors are the simplest to get around.

The easiest is the grease monkey script tells the adblock detector "yup the ads were displayed" so it never activates.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#8 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:13 pm

The problem you didn't address is it takes Money to be a "Pirate" we have to keep 1 step ahead of the Copywrong Trolls.

cito
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#9 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:22 pm

Russtronic™ wrote:The problem you didn't address is it takes Money to be a "Pirate" we have to keep 1 step ahead of the Copywrong Trolls.

true, it does. I mentioned in my post that sites can use whatever.
and everyone is different when it comes to this.
I pay for my colocation rent. But I don't make any money off the site/servers on it/etc.

my domain i got it back in 1998 when network solutions was the only registrar, and it was $75/year, but back then i hosted out of my apartment on a used 19" 7 foot rack with bonded isdn and static ip's on 2 slackware 2u server cases :P

my only frustrations with the ad sites is when they have the strict attitude that they are allowed to do whatever they want (which is true, it is their site), but they turn around and say users aren't allowed to do whatever they want. Now asking nicely is a different thing :)

web page is like a newspaper. I can clip the articles I like and throw away the clutter and junk.
or yank out the comics and toss rest in garbage.

that's my philosophy online as well.

Bitcoin would probably work really good here though by the way, but I agree if you can't afford to run a site free as a hobby or for fun, maybe you get metered bandwidth and not unlimited. That's where I got lucky on my colo it's unmetered, but I can't make it too easy as its in the US but from 1998 to present never once had a dmca notice or a complaint.

But being more visible here, with the possible metered bandwidth, i dont fault anyone for running ads. Just dont fault me, as most users never learn how to do the stuff we do. They consume, they may use an adblock and thats about as far as it goes, not knowing how to completely eliminate everything that has anything to do with ads including how to stop ads on hulu :)

so it's not like ad revenue will disappear, you probably get quite a bit of overseas traffic since many layman users dont know how to bypass the torrent site blocks.

btw anyone overseas with torrent site blocks you don't need to find web mirrors and public proxies and all that mess that get blocked or get ya hit with virus/malware ads.

*go download Tor.
*use Tor browser to go to torrent site
*find the torrent you want. Now, right click the magnet link, click <copy link>
*open torrent client, click open and paste the magnet link into client, click ok.
*turn off Tor.

if you are in china msg me ill get you some tor bridge ip's to play on.

But I had originally wanted to post, because the pop up ads people were getting with adblock turned on.
if they use NoScript, that popup goes away, the plugin does not allow cross site clicks interceptions which is what that ad network used.

that's the solution.

and for those reading this that do want to support by allowing ads but not allowing that popup malware crap. Then set adblock to allow icefilms, but leave noscript turned on.

then you will see the safe "ads" and noscript will block all click interceptions and cross site scripting malware ads/popups.

and using firefox 42 new private mode's active tracking blocking. you will not get those crappy Banned ads that try to show "there's someone in <your town> wanting to speak with you" crap. Firefox 42 blocks those inside the browser in private mode.

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#10 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:03 am

Well cito...
I'll concede your Kung Fu is better than mine, but I've been poor most of my life, and when I foolishly got into trucking, it turned my mind into mush and the 12-14 hour days killed off my Tinkering with Atari ST/TT as I was tired all the time,
barely kept in touch with my old ham radio buddies and now lost most of them as they aged.
So more power to ya, as I just do a fraction of what you have, just enough to keep ahead of the copyright trolls.

Thank You to Russtronic™ for my sig!

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#11 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:39 am

Return to “Security”