Very slow downloads (for me)

Please Put your ISP on here also, as Countries Laws are affecting Hosts Also.
Anything to do with Host's, such as Slow Downloads or Drop Outs...

Moderators: Russtronic™, Way, Omen, Abe

Forum rules
Please Put your ISP on here also, as Countries Laws are affecting Hosts Also.
Anything to do with Host's, such as Slow Downloads or Drop Outs...

Topic Author
longjohn13
Heart on for IceFlims

Very slow downloads (for me)

Post#1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:14 am

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong or what I am missing.
Since Ice Films came back, my downloads are very slow. Like 5,6,7 hours and more.
I know I must have some setting wrong but I don't know what???????
I am using windows 8.1, chrome and divx.
Can anyone please point me in the right direction?
Thank you!

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Re: Very slow downloads (for me)

Post#2 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:29 am

Browser downloading is always going to be slow, use an accelerator like Free Download Manager/FDM, JDownloader etc.

Code: Select all

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/download_managers.html

Some have portable versions, be aware though that individual hosts may have connection limits, so get yourself a small account with someone like Real-Debrid, All-Debrid, B-Rapid etc {do your own search} to use your full bandwidth, while also hiding your I.P. address from outsiders.
I.E. the full speed of your I.S.P..
Again {I didn't look at your location.} be aware you may want to join a Virtual Private Network (VPN) some are free, the best are small fee, like users in the UK,OZ and other places have had to do, lucky I'm in Canada, which hasn't resorted to that yet but I am aware that some sites I go to know my ISP but I don't stray like I used to in the '80s and '90s (smirk)

EDIT: FYI
Win7 32bit Firefox and FDM Firefox integrator extension, Real-Debrid.
Firefox is still King!, you just gotta know how to tame it!
(smirk) ;)

Thank You to Russtronic™ for my sig!

manycoloredcrow
meh

Post#3 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:27 pm

this stuff scares me, not a lot of tech skills .. is it now a must to DL in minutes ?

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#4 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:57 pm

No, but a direct connection via browser you're at the mercy of the hosts' free download speed limit
and if you still use something like FDM, you could be limited to just two or three connections because of traffic.

From my FDM: compare using a transloader vs. direct connection to hugefiles, the best I got was three 'threads'.....

{I notice a number of tutorials on download accelerators on youtube, try 'em}

Topic Author
longjohn13
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#5 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:26 am

I'm located in Canada and don't have a lot of tech skills either so major geek is tough for me!
I don't know why I am having this problem of 3 or more hours to download a 45 minute program. I didn't have it before ice went down this last time. Now I do!
Does anyone have any simple answers?
Thanks!

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#6 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:20 am

May I hazard a guess that you're with an ISP that could be throttling, I like mine but am reluctant to reveal who they are except in a PM.
ComWave is good for no download limits, but according to my neighbour's son, they want a three-year commitment.
I know whence you're coming from, 2011 and earlier I had Rogers crappy portable modem and had to wait all night long just for three shows to download, and those were just .avi, not the .mkv I prefer. Then my present one kept improving at the price point that I could afford, so now I can stay in bed because it only takes five minutes or less to get those same 45 minute shows when I get up in the morning and currently I'm on the second lowest tier of service packages with them.

Other than that I'd have to look at your machine to see what improvements I could make to your free downloading, but for now, test your speeds.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Just to see where you are vs. the rest of the net populace.
Beyond that I don't know, everyone else says to clear your cache and cookies [mainly] for the streamers and I use Cookie Controller in FF to pick and choose which to dispose of, including advertising cookies, for in many cases, cookies can be useful to help speed up steps.

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#7 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:26 am

[quote="longjohn13"
I am using windows 8.1, chrome and divx.
Thank you![/quote]

Why divx? XviD is the current standard for .avi files now.

Yeah, perhaps someone with the same specs as you may want to chime in here.
For myself, just as there are XP holdouts, protecting their systems with A-Vs and
MalwareBytes, I just might end up being a Win 7 {32 & 64} hold out in 2020 {with Linux added}
because I had high hopes for Win 10, but without the classic 2000Pro theme I can colour to match
the old "Maple" I may not want to upgrade.

Return to “Host Problems”