Moderators: Russtronic™, Way, Omen, Abe

Forum rules
I'm lost and not sure.(Discombobulated)

Topic Author
rodentraiser
Heart on for IceFlims

Re: PUM Hijacker

Post#106 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:22 pm

I love you guys! :* But I'll tell you something, if this was something I had to accept for the rest of eternity, I'd deal with it because I think Ice is so awesome. I only started this thread in the first place because I wasn't sure if you knew this was happening. Otherwise, you guys aren't going to get any complaints from me.

mark manning
meh

Post#107 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:45 am

Abe wrote:I anyone still having issues?

I thought all the evil ad networks had been dealt with. We are using 2 ad networks now which seem to be quite good at filtering out the malvertisements.

Ad Network #1:
This ad network runs only for people who are blocking ads (which is about 60% of our users). It contains, at most, one annoying popup per page (which can pop OVER any page) and it displays the fake play/download-style banner ads that we all know and hate. Tricking users into clicking is not advertising, but this is the best we can do from the options we have.

Ad Network #2:
If you disable AdBlock, you will instead see only ads from our other ad network. These ads are high quality from recognized brands. There is also one unobtrusive pop (that loads silently in a background tab) and it can be avoided (but I am considering making it unavoidable since it is so unobtrusive).

Your first ad network is just plain wrong. There are plenty of people who would be willing to donate to the cause if they were just asked to but after the way the ad networks have been chosen, I don't know that I would ever want to donate after being treated like that. I work for one of the largest internet forums in existence and if we ever chose to do something like this, we would lose our membership basis in a heartbeat.

Here is an idea to throw around, maybe roll out a paid membership to remove ads? It wouldn't be something that would ever be required but for the people that paid annually or whatever, it only takes a small script or setting the members to a different user group to remove the ads.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#108 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:20 am

We are a volunteer completely non profit service. Did you wonder why we are still around? We can accept donations but charging an admission fee would be selling our service and we would go the same way as Ninja.

I work for one of the largest internet forums in existence and if we ever chose to do something like this, we would lose our membership basis in a heartbeat.

Well that doesn't seem to have slowed Ice down as of 11:04am Sunday morning there are about 78,000 (and I bet 79,995 of them are running some kind of Adblock. Now you wonder how we can keep the lights on?) people streaming.
If you want to help to make Ice better offering constructive criticism is good sometimes, Good Ideas are much more acceptable.

Crash Override
Insomniac

Main site functions

Post#109 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:54 pm

Any time I open the main site and click virtually anywhere, I get a pop-up that is quickly shut down by my malwarebytes. Am I the only one getting directed to some shady website? This also happens in other parts of the site, e.g. shows, movies, etc.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Re: Main site functions

Post#110 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:04 pm

Try to get the address of this site so we can look into it. And there are several threads in here dealing with this problem. It is called Mal-vertising. It has shut down several big sites including The Huffington Post and Target. It is a worldwide epidemic it is not just us.

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#111 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:56 pm

Editvvvv
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#112 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:08 am

Clicking around the site with different operating systems with and without adblock, redirect block, antivirus;

All redirects seem to originate from:
data.scorepresshidden.info

Virus warnings:
http://computerprotect06.info/ADCSH/CTA ... 6O00RDECEI
http://www.greatdownloadapps.com/v8/ind ... Q88&brw=ie
http://n210adserv.com/ads?key-714b40a67 ... 136798d1d|{gzip}
http://n210adserv.com/ads?key=adbead86c ... 72e7ffc379
Nov. 2nd:
http://n210adserv.com/ads?key=714b40a67 ... ef1367981d

Maybe an attention grabbing post should be stickied that asks for this info.
There have been several posts from people over the past few weeks giving up URLs. I have no idea if they are relevant or not and neither do they, especially since there has been no acknowledgment.

If we are going to ask for info, we should at least respond when it is given,
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Crash Override
Insomniac

Post#113 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:16 am

Wow I had no idea this was a global problem. How do these mal-vertising companies even get a foothold in the website's coding(I have no idea how programming works I'm just guessing)? I'll add any websites I get redirected to here.

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#114 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:08 am

It is not in the website's coding, It is written in to the ads themselves. Ad networks are companies that serve up ads to sites. People wanting to advertise go through them to have their ads displayed, they are the middle-men, in short. Of course with the abundance of people wanting to advertise, ads are not hand picked for display, they are selected by general guidelines. It is virtually impossible for ad networks and sites to know where the malicious code lies. Basically the only way to know is when an infected ad gets clicked on.

I'm not exactly sure how the entire ad process works, but I believe not everybody sees the same ads. That is because of the ad networks. They detect your region, browsing preferences, operating system, the whole nine yards, and then serve up ads they deem relevant to you based on these variables and whatever else they detect.

That is what makes it so hard to find this nasty stuff, and it is why the shit needs reported. Abe can not find the crap because it is not being served to him. Ads are selectively "random" based on the individual.
While I am all for necessary privacy and protection, I wish these people suggesting simply adding blocking filter and script blockers would realize it is not really a solution to this problem, just a mask to hide the problem(rightfully so) from the user.

Like I said, I am not completely sure how this ad stuff works, hopefully Abe chimes in to correct any misinformation I may have given, but this is it, to the best of my knowledge.

LordHoban
Nipple Pincher

All the new pop ups infecting the site...

Post#115 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:51 pm

Anyone else experiencing all the constant pop ups that have now infected this site? These days, I just close them as soon as they try to pop up (otherwise, they start causing problems). Is this something being worked on? Anyone know what's going on?

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Re: All the new pop ups infecting the site...

Post#116 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:24 pm

Look at the other posts on this subject. All will be revealed.

LordHoban
Nipple Pincher

Post#117 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:59 pm

The first thing I did was look around and I couldn't find anything related to this.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#118 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:39 am

Look in the forum I moved your post to.

lostlproph3t
no0b

Post#119 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:49 pm

hey so I tried disabling adblock plus and the problem was fixed as many of you suggested, but then regular ads show up as well...so i went into adblock plus options and unchecked "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" and I no longer have regular ads or the pop up windows showing up.

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but if so, my apologies. It seems to be working fine for me so far, so I hope it works well for you all as well!

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#120 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:07 pm

Thank you I am sure it helps.

Return to “General Help”