I'm lost and not sure.(Discombobulated)

Moderators: Russtronic™, Way, Omen, Abe

Forum rules
I'm lost and not sure.(Discombobulated)

mark manning
meh

Re: PUM Hijacker

Post#121 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:04 am

I don't mind the ads because it keeps the site going but the forced tabs, even when from behind, are really annoying. On top of that, I usually leave the link page open to help generate money for the site but now they started using ads with audio. I went ahead and found a way to block anything they have until all of the stupid ads are removed.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#122 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:19 am

lostlproph3t wrote:hey so I tried disabling adblock plus and the problem was fixed as many of you suggested, but then regular ads show up as well...so i went into adblock plus options and unchecked "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" and I no longer have regular ads or the pop up windows showing up.

This is where I am at also read thru the posts in this thread and you will find many solutions to this extremely vexing problem. Remember it isn't the Ad company's it is the Mal-vertisements.

mark manning
meh

Post#123 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:24 pm

Russtronic™ wrote: Remember it isn't the Ad company's it is the Mal-vertisements.

I find it cute you all keep saying this like it's true. Malvertising isn't something new and it is all about the ad companies you choose. I've read this thread and others where you all claim it is out of your control but that is probably one of the most laughable things I have ever heard.

The truth is, this is a coordinated effort on your sites part to bring in more revenue which I get. However, all you are going to do is piss people off enough, like you just did with me, to where you will get 0 income and ice will fade away while someone else takes its spot.
Last edited by mark manning on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jts1957
meh

Post#124 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:31 pm

and ice will fade away while someone else takes it spot.

I think you meant 'MELT away.'

etimmy
Average User

Post#125 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:45 pm

"Remember it isn't the Ad company's it is the Mal-vertisements"

Well, if your (Icefilms') Ad company can't control the content it supplies, they need to be dumped and have their name and reputation spread around the net till they get their shit together. Because they're ruining YOUR reputation and income stream.
Why on earth have you put up with them for this long?

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#126 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:02 pm

Well I am glad there are so many people out there ready to take over for us. I guess since I am chasing my own tail, that I shouldn't be helping the ad company's we use with sending the offending links to them. There are some tongue in cheek messages, we put up in harmless jest, to bring awareness of the problems created by Adblock. This Site is free, but the Servers, Hosting and Bandwidth, for hundreds of thousands of people every hour is not.
Right at this moment there are 77,636 people attached, later on that number will quadruple until about 2am PST. We have been operating in the red for the last 3 yrs, since donations have fallen after we lost PayPal do to the Hollywrong Trolls. If you have a way for us to do better, than I am all ears. But there are rules that this forum slides on by, and in the last few posts they have been extremely taxed. I am not just a mod, but admin, and I will let this post show as the warning, that there will be less tolerance from now on. Try to get away with that on other forums of this size.

mark manning
meh

Post#127 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:57 am

Russtronic™ wrote:Well I am glad there are so many people out there ready to take over for us. I guess since I am chasing my own tail, that I shouldn't be helping the ad company's we use with sending the offending links to them. There are some tongue in cheek messages, we put up in harmless jest, to bring awareness of the problems created by Adblock. This Site is free, but the Servers, Hosting and Bandwidth, for hundreds of thousands of people every hour is not.
Right at this moment there are 77,636 people attached, later on that number will quadruple until about 2am PST. We have been operating in the red for the last 3 yrs, since donations have fallen after we lost PayPal do to the Hollywrong Trolls. If you have a way for us to do better, than I am all ears. But there are rules that this forum slides on by, and in the last few posts they have been extremely taxed. I am not just a mod, but admin, and I will let this post show as the warning, that there will be less tolerance from now on. Try to get away with that on other forums of this size.

I think you may be missing our point. As far as the last couple of posts are concerned, it is pretty apparent to me that we want to contribute. Like I said before, I get what you are doing and why you are doing it but what I am also saying is that your tactics are wrong.

There are plenty of better ways to push people off of ad-blocker. The first way is just to ask, because I use this site daily and I have never seen a post at the top of the icefilms homepage about asking for AB to be disabled. All you would need to say is that adblock needs to be turned off to fund the site otherwise its going to go dark and I bet the response would surprise you. If asked in a proper way, most people would be willing to turn off their adblockers.

You could also ask people in the same way you already do with the same prompt you already use but without the pop-up ads and better wording. If that didn't work, put up a wall that blocks people from using the site with adblock on. I know they exist because I have seen them and usually just comply because I get it. That is if I trust the site though.

Sometimes it isn't about what you do but how you do it. Plenty of people love this site would be willing to do their part if properly educated. When you don't do it in a cordial manner, most people are going to pick up on the aggressiveness of the tactics and fight back with stronger ways to block your ads or potentially find some other place.

People come to icefilms for not only the quality but because we trust this site. Icefilms has proven itself to be trustworthy over the years and people appreciate it.

Also, once you get people to turn off their blockers, don't use ads that piss someone off because they decided to leave the page open but then as soon as the sit down. Some ad with audio starts playing in the background, conflicting with the show you just started. All that doe is make people want to turn their ad block back on.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#128 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:59 am

I will take this under counsel. The way that is nominally approved is turn the Adblock to allow only non-intrusive. that has worked for everyone. I didn't even know the Ice Gods had done this until the forum lit up.. LOL I had mine on non.

mark manning
meh

Post#129 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:02 pm

See here is my f******g issues with you people. I turn off my ad blocker to help the site out and I get this sh!t!!!!!
Seriously please quit with the pop up ads

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#130 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:22 pm

That was not a pop up ad. I have never seen anything like that before, unless Microsoft is actually begging for tech support calls. The only thing that I can figure is it is an Exploit that they don't want advertised as it does go to a Tech line. We asked that the Adblock be turned down to non-intrusive ad's. This is something new. As it has been awhile for any complaints after we got thee last batch handled.

mark manning
meh

Post#131 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:51 pm

Russtronic™ wrote:That was not a pop up ad. I have never seen anything like that before, unless Microsoft is actually begging for tech support calls. The only thing that I can figure is it is an Exploit that they don't want advertised as it does go to a Tech line. We asked that the Adblock be turned down to non-intrusive ad's. This is something new. As it has been awhile for any complaints after we got thee last batch handled.

Well it absolutely came from clicking on this site...

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#132 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:09 am

Clicking on this site? Either we are just going to argue (And I have neither the time nor the inclination to do so) or we can work together to figure the problem out. It is your call, as I like everyone else here am a volunteer. Believe it or not this is a completely non-profit volunteer site.

nameyname
no0b

Post#133 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:19 am

I'm using Windows 7 and as of yesterday I stopped being able to go directly to icefilms.info

I can get there via the other devices in my house, cell phone, Mac desktop, other Win laptop so I figured it has to be something that happened on the Win 7 desktop. I uninstalled Chrome and Firefox, reinstalled to no avail. Checked to make sure my browser settings were set up NOT to use a proxy. Tried using Tor but when I get to the clicknupload page i get a message "Wrong IP" when I try and grab the mkv file.

Since I can get to icefilms through other devices in the house (but won't dload because some of those other devices aren't mine) I assume this is some type of cockup by malware. I ran Kaspersky and Avast and found nothing. Tried reinstalling Firefox, also nothing. Still can't get to icefilms. The message i get is:
The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

I googled the above error and found some links about making sure your FF browser settings were set to "No proxy." But that's about it.
And while it may look like I am a brand new user, I've actually been posting here for years, but in trying to solve this I emptied my cache and now can't log back in with the old username(s), and the password reset option is being a pain in the butt. Or maybe just not working.

any help is greatly appreciated.

nameyname
no0b

Post#134 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:58 am

This is the message I get when trying to launch icefilms after clearing my cache
https://i.imgur.com/hw7JATb.jpg

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#135 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:10 am

This is not a pop-up problem it is a problem with Avast they have taken care of it I am told with a new update yesterday. This is the topic ----> viewtopic.php?f=161&t=108980&p=261059&hilit=Avast#p261059

Return to “General Help”