I'm lost and not sure.(Discombobulated)

Moderators: Russtronic™, Way, Omen, Abe

Forum rules
I'm lost and not sure.(Discombobulated)

Topic Author
Average User

Divx play button is missing in IQS

Post#1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:23 am

My browser is Firefox. I've tested it with multiple videos and the Divx Web player button is missing in all of them.

I've read the news about the new .m3u streaming options in IQS. Does this make the Divx play button disappear because today I noticed only the VLC play button was there and not the Divx play button? I don't use the VLC player and mainly use the Divx web player button. I've checked for a Divx update but my version of Divx is up to date

EDIT: I've reinstalled the Divx Web player and still no luck.

darthmarley72
no0b

Re: Divx play button is missing in IQS

Post#2 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Yeah I have this problem as well.

At first I thought it was a file format issue with (HD / SD/DVD) but now I'm not so sure, VLC has never worked right, when it worked at all, it was the start/stop buffering issue (Yeah yeah, I know you can change buffing setting, in VLC but It doesn't fix the issue and never has) generally if I can't have Divx, I have no problem with Flash, but not finding much of that either.

Thought I was crazy, Glad it's not just me.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#3 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:39 am

Topic Author
Average User

Post#4 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:52 am

Russtronic™ wrote:Read this.. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=108697

I've seen this post before but always preferred to use the Divx web player button. I really like Divx and it's by far my favorite way to watch streaming content. Has the Divx web player button been phased out permanently? Is there any hope of the Divx web player button returning?

The Big Lion-O
no0b

Post#5 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:50 pm

I'd definitely prefer divx web player compatibility online. Since now for all mkv I'm just streaming to divx/Zoom player which is the same experience with extra steps. Of course if it continues you can set up some script to grab it automatically, but that's literally what IQS is for anyway isn't it? Seems like the extra compatibility has reduced the effectiveness.
For those of us with high-speed or g/bit connections, its the difference between instant gratification and a needless slowdown.
Though if there is a more obscure reason for divx being excluded I'd understand.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#6 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:41 pm

All you have to do is choose your Player. The DivX player is not capable of playing alot of the new formats that whoever uploads are using so this is the solution choose your own player.

Way
RedTek

Post#7 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:37 am

Divx will soon stop working just as it already has with Chrome due to browsers removing npapi support. This is due to security reason's. Read this post viewtopic.php?f=137&t=106919 Firefox 2016 date unknown. (For now 1-22-2016 Divx works in FF)

I have spent many hours on the Divx forums reading to see if there is any news to Divx keeping up with the browser changes. Which I have not found. So for Icefilms to keep up with the times things as always have to change, and the Chrome users only had the VLC/Flash option. Which I had read in many posts complaining about this problem for them.

Now I've also read 1 post complaining about the flash player option being gone. Again times are changing Flash is also going away https://threatpost.com/flashs-farewell- ... ay/115545/ again for security reason's, as you can remember the last big Flash exploit when browser's disabled Flash themselves. HTML5 will replace Flash. This is also going to happen this year 2016 date unknown. (For now Flash works 1-22-2016)

So all this being said Icefilms was looking at in the near future having only the VLC player for a option for streaming.
Well instead of waiting around till the last minute. I thought we should be proactive, and come up with a new option before being forced to rush into something. I've been researching this for almost a year now, working with a few others talking back and forth. This .m3u playlist option is what we decided on. It was for 3 reason's. 1. It was simple, 2. It was compatible with lot's of players, 3. The user could choose their player. Now some of you may say playlist? the VLC option was .xspf which was also a playlist so nothing new here just a different format that is more compatible because the .xspf is VLC's format only.

Now I'm sorry that Divx does not support .m3u that I know of. I do not have it installed as I do not like the player. It has to many problems for me just as Russ pointed out it will not handle some new encoding methods/codec's. Unlike a lot of other free players do with no need for installing codec packs which are OS based might I add.

So to wrap this explanation up in a simple statement times change, coding changes, software changes, nothing about computers stays the same this is just a fact.

Now this change may or may not last we will just have to wait to see what the future holds.

Way
RedTek

Post#8 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:47 pm

Ok I finally got in touch with the site admin. They had made a small error in the code that stopped the Divx and Flash player buttons. This has been fixed now so all is back to normal for now, but keep in mind these options may or may not last as you can see from my other post.

Topic Author
Average User

Post#9 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:27 pm

Way wrote:Ok I finally got in touch with the site admin. They had made a small error in the code that stopped the Divx and Flash player buttons. This has been fixed now so all is back to normal for now, but keep in mind these options may or may not last as you can see from my other post.

Does the VLC and Divx play button work the same way in terms of streaming from a server? I don't fully understand the difference between the Divx play button and the VLC play button. Are both options the same in terms of streaming except with the Divx play button you watch the video inside a browser vs the VLC play button you watch in the VLC player or some other player?

If you use the VLC play button, do you have to delete any files from your computer if you don't want to watch a video again ? Is anything saved on your computer?

Way
RedTek

Post#10 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:04 pm

1234567 wrote:If you use the VLC play button, do you have to delete any files from your computer if you don't want to watch a video again ? Is anything saved on your computer?

Now let's think was that video you just watched come on your system?
Then it was downloaded from there to you.
It will be a playlist file format .xspf previously - .m3u now.
Or your browser history/cache/cookies/Temp files/yada

Not sure on anything server based this tutorial is for home computers.
If you have a server I'm sure you can http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+search

You can Pop out the Divx Web player but you will still have your browser running this can be a waste causing issue's with older systems. Just drag that top window.
Divx Popped out:

FYI: "I still have a old 90's xp working/streaming/getting it done. With out the browser running using a simple player with a .m3u playlist or the direct url/download link. I like any Mplayer version for simple."

Topic Author
Average User

Post#11 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:58 pm

Ok thanks for the info. I've always used the Divx web player button in the past so I have no clue how the VLC play button works.

Stan
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#12 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:36 am

I guess i can uninstall the divx web player now since i won't be using it anymore.

Return to “General Help”