Recent CloudFlare Hassles

Mostly praise goes here. And anything icefilms or scene related that doesn't fit anywhere else. NO REQUESTS. NO TECHNICAL ISSUES. NO ideas or feature requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Russtronic™
The One

Re: Recent CloudFlare Hassles

Post#16 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:55 am

What Captchas???

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#17 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:21 am

Russ, cloudflare issues captcha challenges by default for users of tor. Apparently melting point's ip address is registering as a high threat level to cloudflare. I think only Abe can answer this one.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Russtronic™
The One

Post#18 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:36 am

Interesting, TY Rep I need to catch up on somethings. LOL I used to do alot with Tor. Man it has been years since I did the practical joke in here that made a few of you crap your pants. And couldn't have done it without Tor. LMAO!!!

Topic Author
Melting Point
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#19 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:03 am

FWIW, right before ice had to switch hosts, the captcha challenge became even easier (only one captcha presented per challenge, and more importantly, it was less distorted), I mentioned this at the end of my Dec 14th post in this thread. I'm guessing that these easier captchas would still have prevented DDoS attacks (since bots still wouldn't have been able to decode them), but it made the whole experience a lot more tolerable.

Then after the host switch, it was back to the original (harder) style of captchas encountered from the beginning. And now, the captchas are impossible to get past (even though they don't look any more difficult than before).

If the settings are going to be fixed, it would be great if the easier (mid December) captchas could be reinstated. Of course, if this puts ice at greater risk, then I'll understand (but I reserve the right to periodically grumble about it! :'( ).

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#20 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:53 am

@Melting Point: I do not think settings were ever changed by admins. If they were changed, I believe it would have been an automatic response by cloudflare due to a global threat. If that is the case, I believe nothing can be, nor should be done about it. The only other option is that for some reason your ip gets tagged with a high threat level at times. The only way to check that, from my understanding, is for an admin to run an ip test when it happens. I am not sure if your address can be whitelisted or if settengs can be adjusted for individual ips.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Topic Author
Melting Point
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#21 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:19 am

@Repdaddy: Access is working right now (I just noticed a short while ago). I'll post if that changes again. If admins didn't change any settings, then I totally understand. It's just the not knowing when (or why) that can be a pain.

FYI, how Tor works is that the IP address is constantly changing, so it would be hard to whitelist something for me, especially since someone else could potentially use Tor for harmful purposes, and just happen to connect from the same IP. Maybe not at the same time I'm using it, but definitely at another time, even 5 minutes later, so it wouldn't make sense to set up such a whitelist.

As for CloudFlare responding to some sort of a global threat: If this behavior happens again, I'll try to discover similar behavior from another CloudFlare protected site (I've accidentally discovered a few such protected sites, but I'll need to record those URLs for future reference). Obviously, if it happens with other sites as well, then it's clearly CloudFlare is doing something on its own.

It seems that CloudFlare should somehow be notifying the site owners of such changes. If the protected site was a commercial storefront, they could lose legitimate paying customers if all attempts to access their site were blocked.

Thanks for following up!

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#22 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:03 pm

I am kind of familiar with tor. Not well versed, but familiar. Perhaps you can fiddle with settlings to tweak exit nodes to ease the perceived threat?

When I said global, I meant global as in all sites hosted on that server. If one gets a threat, cloudflare raises the shield for all cloudflare sites on the server. You would have to find out the other sites on the server.

I am not sure, we may even be on a dedi, maybe Russ can answer that. In which case the term global does not apply and cloudflare just does not like you. :p

Russtronic™
The One

Post#23 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:08 pm

You would be amazed at who else is on this one Rep. So if it is one of those, well, the threat to them wont last very long.

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#24 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:14 pm

Russtronic™ wrote:You would be amazed at who else is on this one Rep.

No, I would not. It would amaze you as to what it takes to amaze me. But at least now it is clarified it is not a dedi.

Way
RedTek

Re: Site Permissions Issue

Post#25 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:29 am

(nod)
Melting Point wrote:I don't want to get into a(nother) discussion about the reasons to use or not to use Tor.

However, if CloudFlare is putting up a test to prove that the connection using Tor (or other methods of maintaining privacy) is not a bot, then at least let the test be valid, or simply say 'You're not welcome here' (or something to that effect).

As it is now (and as I said, this new problem just started late this evening), captchas are being presented that are solvable, but the solutions aren't being accepted. So either this is a CloudFlare glitch, or somehow the settings are screwed up. If the former, then all I can do is wait and hope it gets fixed on its own. If the latter, then I'm asking someone to look at the settings to make sure they're correct.

Make sure cookies are enabled in tor
https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us ... block-Tor-
Might be a fix? I'm not a Tor user. Google search turn up this answer on a few results.

Topic Author
Melting Point
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#26 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:56 am

Thanks for trying to help Way - I just tried allowing cookies (both by allowing all, as well as explicitly allowing icefilms.info), but neither changed CloudFlare's recent behavior.

Note that I've been able to access icefilms using Tor for quite a long time. As far as I can remember, CloudFlare started presenting frequent challenges to me because of Tor in the fall of 2014, but these were able to be solved, and icefilms was then accessible. And while there have been times where CloudFlare has presented difficult challenges (and sometimes I failed to solve them, so another captcha was presented - I understand why that would happen), I've only encountered the specific problem I'm mentioning in this thread (easily solvable captchas not being recognized over and over again) once before: in January of this year (I posted about it here - viewtopic.php?p=253812#p253812). This problem then disappeared (without my doing anything different), and didn't resurface until until last night. I have no idea if it got fixed because someone at icefilms corrected something, or they notified CloudFlare, or if CloudFlare was doing something wrong at their end, and they fixed it themselves (without icefilms ever contacting them).

Again, that's why I'm posting this - just in case someone who maintains the CloudFlare settings for icefilms changed something (or can check to see if anything's changed) and can hopefully change it back (or let me know that it won't be changed back). As it is now, the CloudFlare behavior makes no sense - it's presenting easy captchas, but it's not accepting the correct answers.

BTW, with this CloudFlare discussion continuing, I may have accidentally hijacked this thread, which may be totally unrelated to the OP's problem. If so, feel free to move my posts (and recent responses) over to the thread I referred to above.

Way
RedTek

Post#27 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:30 pm

Hey Melting Point from https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us ... e-visitor-
1. You can still enter the site by passing the captcha. You can also request to the site owner that the whitelist your IP address. You must have cookies and JavaScript enabled in your browser settings to pass the captcha. If you are running any anti-virus or firewall programs on your computer, then you may also need to check to make sure that they aren't blocking access to the captcha image.

So I don't know maybe Adblock/Firewal/ect not a Tor user so just a idea. It may be settings but I really doubt Abe changed anything or will. But you never know that's his call.
Can you pick a ip or ip range in Tor maybe play with different ones I'm sure it's just the ip is blocked because of malicious behavior. Not you of course you just grabbed one that was.
I'm sure it is something simple, If I have time I may play with Tor and see what happens.

Topic Author
Melting Point
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#28 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Using Tor means your IP addy constantly changes (sometimes as frequently as every few minutes). While there are a finite number of IPs (it depends on the number of volunteers willing to run Tor relay nodes), it's a large number that many different people use sequentially (that's one way it provides anonymity to any one user). So providing icefilms a whitelist is not only impractical, it partially defeats the purpose of using Tor.

Also, passing through connections from a whitelist could put icefilms at risk. Even though I am not going to try to harm the site, I can't guarantee that another person using the same IP through Tor at a different time couldn't try something nasty. That's why I've come to accept CloudFlare's inconvenience, especially when the captchas are relatively simple (hopefully they are still hard enough to block bots). I want icefilms to stay protected from attacks, and I hope that CloudFlare is doing that. I just want CloudFlare's challenges to work properly (as they have done most of the time in the past).

BTW, about 1/2 hour ago, CloudFlare was behaving 'normally' again (solvable captchas) for a few minutes. But now it's back to the behavior I'm currently complaining about (and I haven't changed anything at my end).

Abe, do you have any knowledge of why CloudFlare is behaving differently in (about) the past 18 hours?

Way
RedTek

Post#29 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:24 pm

Worked for me so I don't know red circle

Topic Author
Melting Point
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#30 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:17 pm

Yeah, currently working for me as well (CloudFlare displayed captcha, I solved it, IceFilms came up). Hopefully, it will stay this way. Though I'd still like to know why the problems from earlier today were happening (intellectual curiosity).

Return to “General Discussion / Feedback”