MKV Files

Mostly praise goes here. And anything icefilms or scene related that doesn't fit anywhere else. NO REQUESTS. NO TECHNICAL ISSUES. NO ideas or feature requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Topic Author
junkfilter8
no0b

MKV Files

Post#1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:12 am

Is there any reason we're only seeing MKV files now and not avi and mp4? Not trying to complain or anything, just curious

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Re: MKV Files

Post#2 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:07 am

It depends on what format the ones that put it up used. We do not post the shows. We only provide the links that are found after they are posted. However they decide the compression on any given piece always mystifies me.

randomsurfer200
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#3 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:27 am

Seems the people who do most of the original ripping and first gen posting have decided mkvs will be the new standard.

https://torrentfreak.com/pirates-frustrated-after-tv-release-groups-swap-mp4-for-mkv-160408/

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#4 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:47 pm

Most of them are mp4.

MKV is simply a CONTAINER, not a file type. MKV allows for multiple language files and multiple subtitles to be included in one CONTAINER so that only one release can serve many languages, eliminating the need for a file for each language to be uploaded and stored and made and shared.

That is the main reason and a secondary reason is they were simply waiting for stand alone devices such as BluRay players and Android boxes to have the necessary software to play the CONTAINER. Almost all MKV CONTAINERS contain an mp4 and an audio track and subtitles, whether CC or a language other than English.

This will now make it much simpler for the people who encode files to only have to make MKV format encodes. Now the smaller version of files can support multiple languages and subtitles in one container. It is being done for you the end user. Hope this helps you to understand a little better.

In short: .avi used to be the standard for scene releases. The scene adopted .mp4. .mp4 is still the standard (until hevc is adopted). The mkv container was adopted as a standard holding container for the standard file(.mp4) to make it more convenient for the release groups and better for the end user.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

randomsurfer200
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#5 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:10 pm

thanks, that explains alot I never knew.

Way
RedTek

Post#6 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:47 pm

Rep doesn't .mkv also give a high compression rate I.E. smaller file size? Same as (hevc x 265) which allows for lets say the best of both worlds I.E. (small file + quality + subs + multiple audio tracks) I'm ready for the switch to x265 I myself like them..

Also to randomsurfer if you are archiving and don't want the multiple audio tracks you can use https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html to delete and/or add Sub files, ect....

Topic Author
junkfilter8
no0b

Post#7 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks for the updates. Keep up the good work

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#8 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:33 pm

Way wrote:Rep doesn't .mkv also give a high compression rate I.E. smaller file size?///// I'm ready for the switch to x265

Yup/////the switch will not happen for a while. At least not until 4K video and compatible devices are as prevalent as 1080p.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

trice001
no0b

Post#9 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 pm

thanks for that.

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#10 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:18 am

Repdaddy wrote:
Way wrote:Rep doesn't .mkv also give a high compression rate I.E. smaller file size?///// I'm ready for the switch to x265

Yup/////the switch will not happen for a while. At least not until 4K video and compatible devices are as prevalent as 1080p.

I am still waiting to see what hardware is coming out for ATSC 3.0, so I can decide what to get to replace my ageing PVR tuners and what OSs I can use, Linux [simple distros] or my nLited XPPro or another Windows package.

Thank You to Russtronic™ for my sig!

Return to “General Discussion / Feedback”