wtf happened?

Mostly praise goes here. And anything icefilms or scene related that doesn't fit anywhere else. NO REQUESTS. NO TECHNICAL ISSUES. NO ideas or feature requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Topic Author
longjohn13
Heart on for IceFlims

wtf happened?

Post#1 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:46 am

I've been trying to down load a couple of shows and now it asks me to register and/or sign up.
Why is this happening?

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Re: wtf happened?

Post#2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:05 am

A bit vague. What is asking you to register? I am assuming you mean a host---which one? Or is it an advert?
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

jimmt
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#3 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Hugefiles insists you join..and Upload won't work unless you turn your ad blocker off ??
Got around Hugefiles but not Upload yet.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#4 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:13 pm

Times change.

Wax
Average User

Post#5 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:24 am

Russtronic™ wrote:Times change.

They sure do, compared to the scene in the late-90s and early-2000s. A business was built around pirating and today it's just insane how corporate and profit-driven things are. I noticed this trend appearing around 2006, when social media and Web 2.0 began to really take off.

I think that's what allowed it to thrive, actually. I mean, there has always been piracy for profit, but historically that was for manufactured and replicated goods, like knock-off clothing or selling music and movies as copied media on the streets. But online, it was very rare for anyone to make money via file-sharing.

This started to change when some of those P2P clients monetized their software I guess, but for the most part even Indexing websites didn't feature ads until the mid-2000s. I remember the original Suprnova website, which was like THE index site for public torrents back in the day, as a prime example. Further back it was completely unheard of, and among BBS and IRC file-sharers, nobody even considered money.

Maybe part of that is because the ability to monetize it didn't really exist back then, or at least not like it does today. But still, it's like the whole motivation for file-sharing has changed. I haven't seen a non-monetized portal, index site or whatever in a long time. I suppose private torrent trackers don't have ads, but a lot of them do offer "VIP" memberships and some are even paid-only.

It really is crazy if you were a teenager in the 90s and you were part of file-sharing back then, as far as perspective when you compare it to things today. Now, most new DDL websites or indexes launch FOR the money, specifically. The majority of them are so blatant (the scam sites aside), that they're just fly-by-night blog rolls that only provide maybe 2 links, both to "paid membership file hosts" built around affiliate programs, like RapidGator, Uploaded and NitroFlare...

I'm not going off on this tangent as a back-handed way of accusing you guys of this. I was there when IceFilms launched, when you probably had a hard time just covering server costs with MegaUpload's programs, around the time that Ninja got raided. But your reply about times changing... Man, you don't know how right you are about that. I hate what's happening to this scene, and it's only going to get worse in the future.

acantho
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#6 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:07 am

To all intent & purposes Icefilm's links have became useless.

Every site either is laden with pop-ups & tries to DL content on to your comp you certainly don't want or won't load unless you turn of your add blocker - which then means you get pop-ups & attempts to DL stuff on to your comp & round & round it goes!

I keep popping back from time to time but mostly I'm using other DL indexes to find the stuff I want to DL - without the adds & attempts to install unwanted stuff on to my comp!

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#7 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:01 pm

I DL every day sometimes numerous times. I realize that it is sometimes like dancing thru a mine field, but there are a number of threads telling how to do this. That is why we are here.

rodentraiser
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#8 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:25 pm

With Hugefiles, after you type in their security code, DON'T hit Enter on your keyboard. Instead, use the mouse and click on the Free Download under the captcha. That will take you to the top of the page. Just scroll down again and click on Create Download Link. That should allow you to stream or save whatever it is you're watching without having the Register page come up.

I'm hanging with Icefilms. Where else can I watch Can't Pay, We'll Take It Away? Besides, I just finished the book 'The Big Short'. I far prefer the way Icefilms makes its money and pays the bills to the way those crooked bankers did (I worked for BofA in the 80s and I knew they were crooks then).

Return to “General Discussion / Feedback”