Question about subtitles in movies

Mostly praise goes here. And anything icefilms or scene related that doesn't fit anywhere else. NO REQUESTS. NO TECHNICAL ISSUES. NO ideas or feature requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Topic Author
rodentraiser
Heart on for IceFlims

Question about subtitles in movies

Post#1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:20 pm

This isn't a complaint - well, maybe it is, but really, more of an observation. I've noticed that in movies with a lot of foreign dialog, the subtitles that you would normally see to understand the language are missing. Dances With Wolves is one example and I just downloaded Tora Tora Tora, another example. Not being able to understand the language in these movies just makes the whole movie unclear and boring.

What I am curious about, is why does this happen in the upload to a movie host (or in the download to my computer). Anybody have any idea? I can't believe the movie was shown in DVD or on TV without the subtitles being there.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Re: Question about subtitles in movies

Post#2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:38 pm

Check your caption settings.

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#3 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:17 pm

The video audio and subtitles are all different files. When release groups convert files(dvd, tv, whatever format) for release, they do not always hardcode the subs to the release. There is no err in the transloading or downloading, it was never there to begin with. Foreign language vids with out hard-coded subs are not allowed on Ice and should be reported in bad links forum for removal.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Topic Author
rodentraiser
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#4 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Caption settings - on VLC? Or my computer? I know occasionally subtitles in English will show up at the bottom of my screen, but then I just go into Subtitles on VLC and click it off. I can't do it the other way around when I need subtitles and now thanks to Rep's reply, I know why.

Rep, these aren't foreign language videos. At least I wouldn't consider them to be. So should these be reported then?

And thanks for the explanation! That makes sense, even to computer-illiterate me. I will say one thing: every time I ask a question here, I learn something. One of ten ways Ice is better than school.....

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#5 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:58 pm

rodentraiser wrote: Rep, these aren't foreign language videos. At least I wouldn't consider them to be. So should these be reported then?

Depends how much subtitle is missing. If it does not disturb the continuity too drastically, i.e.-you can still follow the video plot, it need not be reported. If there is enough missing such that you can not make heads or tails of it, then it needs removed.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#6 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:50 am

Well, in the 'old days' of Laserdisc, in English movies that have another character language, say Chinese, those subtitles would be hard coded into the main MPEG, especially for widescreen releases, with them being in the black bar beneath the action. I discovered, like you did, that DVD rips would miss these if the uploader forgot to HC the file themselves. Then I started to d/l torrents and the packages you get would many times include more than one type of subtitle. Since, if you've noticed if you play such a dvd at home, the UI would give you a choice of subtitles to run with the movie, this is because the data is spread among several channels. In a torrent package the subtitles would either be a .srt extension, which will run your native language all through the film, or a .sub extension, which will also have a much smaller file size, that would display only when the language spoken changes from yours to a foreign tongue. The preferences would have to be set in both VLC and KMPlayer. I don't recall VLC but KMP allows you to run both in different colours for those that are hearing impaired, or for when audio is not the best, with one in the top black bar and the other on the bottom black bar. Current versions of VLC should also have this feature. IIRC...VLC..[toolbar] Subtitle..add subtitle and sub track. I like the flexibility of KMP, though I stopped d/l ing that at 3.9.1.138 when it became compatible with the new x265 compression format. In the forum, many users were complaining about the 4.x versions being buggy, that was a while ago, it may have been corrected now. Also, you may have to tweek your firewall and OS because the lovely thing likes to call home, so I just block it in my firewall and have done upgrades in the past, the slow way. Those like myself after being displeased with ver.4.x.x have rolled back to the versions we can live with, and I admittedly, have been too busy to go back and check the KMPlayer forum recently. The best place to download it is at Majorgeeks, they screen for viruses. Older versions are at Filehippo. Don't trust the CNET archives, files from there are known to harbour malware.

Thank You to Russtronic™ for my sig!

Topic Author
rodentraiser
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#7 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:33 pm

LB, I'm sorry I didn't see your post until just now. I understood it, sort of. I also understand what you're telling me I can do, but I have no idea how to do it. I'm not THAT bright - just ask my mother.

But I do appreciate the info. I just uploaded the latest version of VLC and I'm not really happy with it. I was thinking of going back and getting an older version, and if I do, I'll get it at Majorgeeks. Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion / Feedback”