Canadian copyright trolls

Mostly praise goes here. And anything icefilms or scene related that doesn't fit anywhere else. NO REQUESTS. NO TECHNICAL ISSUES. NO ideas or feature requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Topic Author
GrassPilot
meh

Canadian copyright trolls

Post#1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:57 pm

I got fingered for using a bit torrent a month ago and the settlement was over 300 bucks for something I did not do
1.the movie was " 400 Days". Until the day I die I will not watch that movie!
2.that was the first time I had ever heard of it.
3.the last p2p I used was in 2007.
4. I scanned the shit out of my drive and had a friend sneak it into his law enforcement department(not saying which mounted department) and nothing.
5 I was advised that the cheapest thing was to pay the extortion fee as the cost of counter suing to recoup all expenses would be extremely time consuming and I would only breakout evenly....WTF.....

3 days after the credit card was charged I called my card company and told them that the card was only authorized for 50 dollars. I was credited for 250.00 . That happened yesterday. The saga continues.
please pipe in with thoughts

why is it that no matter how hard you pee on an insect you can't sink it?

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Re: Canadian copyright trolls

Post#2 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:10 pm

File a fraud report with the Feds (Who ever qualifies for that there) I would. Make the biggest News Splash you can. Cockroaches Hate The Light. The more noise the more friends. Funny how that works.

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#3 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:39 am

O.P. .....

Haven't you read any of my posts?
I would have told that troll to go fuck themselves sideways.
The one time I did, the mailer-daemon bounced back the reply, so it was a phony
drop email anyhow.
Obviously you direct downloaded, or in this case torrent-ed like a noob,
without doing any steps to conceal your I.P. address.
Are you a customer of Teksavvy? They will snitch on their customers.
Rogers and Shaw will also monitor, in your case you will probably need both
a VPN and to pay for an unrestricted downloader service, as I mentioned in other posts.
I regularly change my I.P. and Mac addresses using batch files I found in the dark web,
but you need to be astute about it. Less your actions get a whole block of IPs banned.
For the fifty bucks you lost, you could have paid for a European or former Communist block
country UDS and hid your I.P. that way. Or as Russ suggested, you got hit with a successful
phishing expedition and never should have responded in the first place.
Ever since that Ashley Madison debacle, my oldest business account has been hit with spam and
other phishing attempts but I never followed through with AM and can't be blackmailed since that was two jobs and three cities ago when I signed up and I only registered with AM to get past the first set of web pages, never acted on it, so any info they have on me is obsolete.
More likely you're on one of those sale lists that trolls buy to try to blackmail noobs.
Because you paid, there's probably a notation somewhere next to your email address that says
"sucker" . Also, from what you said, they have your CC # now!

Though I like the acting staff, "400 Days" was a bit of a stinker, to get nailed for that, well, no sympathies .

Is my "Safe Surfing" closings falling on deaf ears? or in this case not read?

Thank You to Russtronic™ for my sig!

jimmt
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#4 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:43 am

Don't worry I read you..not that this head always understands what these eyes see..odd about the cc..I had a $500 one for ordering on the net and phone I went over on a gas purchase not realizing it till I got the monthly bill along wit I think a $60 charge for going over..go figure.
Anyway contacted Visa and explained about the limit and my reason for having it and why wasn't the card refused at the limit? Good customer so let it go over but in the mean time charged ME $60 ..lol
They did end up taking it off but assured me I would be charged if I went over..so beware about LIMITS.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#5 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:40 pm

Hmmm. I have debit and credit cards, but when in a situation like this, I fall back to my favorite standby to find if they are legit. I tell them I only use paypal.

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#6 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:04 pm

I should talk, Russ, I really fucked up tonight, it was my birthday and I was distracted.
The Tragically Hip concert on the CBC tonight, it would have been easy-peasy as there were no commercials.
I didn't account for the concert running over time, first, forgot to reset one parameter, to allow for a file
larger than 16GB , then another, time based, as a result, the PVR shut down early and I lost the last ten minutes.
Couldn't recover because the local, CBLT Toronto doesn't broadcast PSIP data either, the only station in my area
that I have to programme manually. Should have set it for an extra 30 minutes, then I'd only have to deal with joining two files together, now its probably not even worth using S.U.P.E.R. to convert the MPEG 2 to .mkv and other containers. Well, I hope one of the pros out there did better than I. (swear) (swear) (swear) (swear) (swear)

(fubar) (doh) (doh) (sad) :mad: :mad:

Should I move this to another sub-forum?

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#7 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:00 pm

Nah I have no problem with it. Been there done that with your predicament, all I can say is I feel for you.

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#8 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:41 am

Well, the Olympics caused a late start, and while I figured on two encores, I didn't forsee the band doing a third, unlike previous venues, like Ottawa, still my bad for not tagging more time to the end.

EDIT: Blah! Its all over YT, Vevo and the others anyhow, just as .mp4s, not as good as my home grown MPEG2 [which is still king, as far as detail is concerned, native ATSC, just bulky] so just as well keep what I got for personal use and capture what others have posted, if I really want it.

(rock) :))

adrank888
no0b

Post#9 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:11 am

tmed73
no0b

Post#10 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:11 pm

I was warned last month for downloading a torrent from rogers. They give you a slap on the hand first time but now Im trying to figure out if I can download directly or if my IP is still being looked at. My brother uses kodi so he is safe as he streams through a box.

I might just have to buy a VPN because freedom seems to be gone for good.

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#11 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:42 am

tmed73 wrote:I might just have to buy a VPN because freedom seems to be gone for good.

Skip the VPN, google/bing/whatever 'Unrestricted Downloaders'.
The one I use should spring up first, then the only connections to worry about would be their servers.
They have a torrent tool, as I mentioned earlier, that will load into uptobox, and you can then download at high speed from there. ;)

EDIT: I'll send you a PM, when I just did one, some false URLs popped up but NoScript blocked their actions.
Not using NoScript could seriously frell up your system.

]:)

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#12 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:48 am

Unrestricted downloaders/multi-hosters are very limited as far as access, and that access varies from time to time(they are after all technically just re-sellers). A vpn is open to the entire web.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#13 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:44 am

Mine is excellent, RP, currently 64 functional hosters including those from here and I just finished d/l my nine Monday shows in a half hour, including file rename to get the titles from the TV listings, from within FDM's dialogue box.
Plus a torrent tool if I want a DVD/BR rip package{subtitles and extras} and see my post where I pointed to the fact that VPN can't protect you during torrent download.

When was the last time you used a UDS?

Return to “General Discussion / Feedback”