what happens to those who purchased a subscription?

Mostly praise goes here. And anything icefilms or scene related that doesn't fit anywhere else. NO REQUESTS. NO TECHNICAL ISSUES. NO ideas or feature requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Topic Author
southflaboss
no0b

what happens to those who purchased a subscription?

Post#1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:28 pm

so what now ?(angry)

pauldonnelly
Average User

Re: what happens to those who purchased a subscription?

Post#2 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:29 am

you just got screwed out of your money

i had just paid for a years membership 4 days before they were shut down

I have contacted my cc company to see about a reversal but have yet to hear anything back yet

good luck on your end

Repdaddy
Sex Robot

Post#3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:26 pm

Well, you did not get screwed. At least not by megaup. More so by government. But yeah, you can forget about that money.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Silver
no0b

Post#4 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:20 pm

I don't know about MU, but TorrentFreak reported that on request PayPal is refunding cash paid to Filesonic. 4Shared is ending it's affiliate program Feb 1st and will be making final payments to subscriber's Paypal account within 15 days.

You can try getting a refund for MU subscription from your bank or credit card company. Barring that the only likely course of action is to seek out a lawyer willing to take on the US government as has been proposed in Spain.
http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2012/01/20/spanish-anger-at-fbi-megaupload-closure/

TMPOOH
Average User

Post#5 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:24 pm

southflaboss wrote:so what now ?(angry)

I popped for an additional 2 years earlier as well. Money's gone.

I suspect they must have known something was up and figured they'd get a head start on a legal defense fund. Suspect they didn't know the extent of the full court press that got dropped on them. I knew it sounded too good to be true, and took a gamble. I lost.

PayPal won't/can't refund unless your purchase was recent enough that it hadn't transferred to MU. Small chance of that. They were probably pulling money off hourly.

PayPal purchases are protected, but not from illegal activity (and US Govt's actions give them that umbrella), even if MU beats this.

Mark this one up for a cheap lesson. Just be happy you didn't buy 2 lifetime subscriptions.

For me, I'm back to 3 months at a pop. I may end up paying more, but at least I won't feel like such a sucker.

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#6 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:29 pm

I don't consider myself screwed by MU, just the yankee authorities that did this.
If MU ever gets back they'll probably, hopefully do extensions for anyone inconvenienced,
provided their paypal data is intact.

Thank You to Russtronic™ for my sig!

silentx3ro
Average User

Post#7 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Im care less about the subscription that I do about the data loss, I was switching to a new rig I just built and was reusing my old hard drive.
I generally back stuff up on an external drive but I also back things up to MU cause I'm paranoid like that. Well of course I decided I had so much stuff that I didn't need on my external drive I decided to format it...I lost thousands of photos and home movies than I hadn't redownloaded yet.
I was paying 3 months at a time so not a huge cash loss but I lost a ton of stuff that I can't ever replace.

My only hope is now that the FBI have shut down this shadowey cabal of super villans maybe they can work on some of the smaller stuff like catching those pesky terrorists /sarcasm

Return to “General Discussion / Feedback”