Info on viruses and Fake anti-virus software

This is our Magic Vault, Please only take what you need, to help you on your Quest Enlightenment....

Moderators: Omen, Abe

Forum rules
1. PUT AS MUCH INFO AS YOU CAN IN THE SUBJECT LINE (for example: Gabriel source 7 plays upside down).

2. PUT PAGE URL & SOURCE# IN MESSAGE BODY WHEN REPORTING LINKS. EXAMPLE

Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Re: Info on viruses and Fake anti-virus software

Post#61 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:03 pm

it Activated my browsers Fail Safe

Hey Russ, could you be a bit more specific please (and a bit more about the "blowing-up" bit, too)?
Ignorance and callousness are not virtues

A bleeding heart is a symbol of holiness, a symbol of compassion, not an epithet

When our discourse sinks to the level of meaningless, pejorative labels and personal name-calling rather than honest reflection and reasoned dialogue, we are no longer a people, but a mob

Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Post#62 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi kblitz,

Until I get more information on the likelihood of your linked image being malware, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're submitting an honest report.

This is apparently A FALSE WARNING FROM GOOGLE SAFE BROWSING (get your attention? lol). Here is a short article about similar attacks from late 2010. I have no idea whatsoever how you've been targeted, but it's likely you're already infected. You should conduct thorough malware scans with at least two different tools. Make sure the tools you use are not malware themselves - use only trusted names. If you are in any doubt "majorgeeks.com " (no quotes) is a good source of freeware and tools, and I highly recommend looking for help, either directly from staff, or by following detailed guides, at a respected malware removal forum. Here's a link to some very good, very reliable information - with more useful links. Here's a link to Malwarebytes forum.

If you remain in doubt, here's a link to the current Google Safe Browsing Diagnostics page for icefilms.info.

(You should double check to make sure you are actually going to icefilms.info and not a clone site with a similar name)

A bleeding heart is a symbol of holiness, a symbol of compassion, not an epithet

When our discourse sinks to the level of meaningless, pejorative labels and personal name-calling rather than honest reflection and reasoned dialogue, we are no longer a people, but a mob

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#63 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:58 pm

When I opened the window to see the report that he posted, as soon as I clicked on the page it redirected to a Malware Sight and when I shut the sight down by Task Manager (It was Locked In The Endless Cancel Loop) It Killed FireFox

Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Post#64 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:02 pm

What site was it (do you recall), and how do you know it was a malware site (other than crashing FF when you tried to close it with taskman)?

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#65 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:26 pm

On HIS Post Click On The Image he sent. Then It Will Go To The Host Site For The (Supposed) Screen Shot to Enlarge It. Reading It Made Me Suspicious. So I Decided To Treat it as A Virus. Got No Returns on the Scans and Appeared Benign till I did The Click Test. Then A Window Opened That Wanted A Redirect That Couldn't be Closed...That's Mal Enough For Me!

kblitz
meh

Post#66 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:07 pm

How is imagefrog.net, one of the most popular image hosting sites, a carrier of malware? It's just a jpeg screenshot of my browser window when I tried to open a movie. Obviously it must mean there is something sinister about those ads as people are suggesting -__-;;

I'm actually using Bit Defender which runs scans every other day, so about false positives it's unlikely.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#67 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Either the Sight is the Perp or your Screen shot is alive

Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Post#68 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Well, I can't really understand the page scripting for the image, so that method of investigation is out for me. The image does, however, appear to only link to imagefrog, which is considered clean. I did see an active script for fastclick, an ad server that has been linked to malware in the past, on the imagefrog page. Fastclick currently has a clean bill of health from both macaffee and google safe browsing, though it has a poor rating with Web Of Trust - which may explain your balking browser, Russ.

I don't think the image is, or directly links to malware.

@kblitz

This does appear to be a bogus warning not originating from google. You would do well to take extra precautions. As I said before, you may already be infected.

NEVERMIND: I somehow forgot the adbutler part of the warning...

NEVERMIND THE NEVERMIND: This could still be a bogus warning. Here is the Google Safe Browsing diagnostics page for servedbyadbutler As you can see, there is no problem with this site on google.

I did find that servedbyadbutler has a poor rating on Web Of Trust. Perhaps google uses their ratings in addition to their own?

After looking around a bit, I can't find anything to suggest google uses WOT ratings in their software. Given that lack and the lack of any negative info. from google, I continue to suspect yours was a bogus warning.

Here's an interesting article relating to this topic. Though it's slanted toward websites unfairly branded by google, it does describe how things work, and how a site might become a victim of malware, despite its best efforts to prevent it.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#69 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Any Site That Hijacks Your Browser Cannot Be Trusted! And I have to be in the top 10% of users on this site, AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY MALWARE.

Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Post#70 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Yeah, I haven't either...but then I wouldn't expect to (linux user ;) )

So, kblitz, you wouldn't happen to recall the exact film and source you clicked on, would you?

Shalmainia
Overachiever

Post#71 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Jesus Christ, adblock plus people, then get the anti-malware & EasyList (English) subscriptions:
http://malwaredomains.lanik.us/malwaredomains_full.txt
https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist.txt

I wish we could advertise that addon to everyone but then that would render the sites advertising pointless. I do recommend it to people who have problems with evil adverts though.
Donate to IceFilms today!

Signature by TMRKD

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no soverignty where we gather." A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, John Perry Barlow

kingryan69
no0b

Post#72 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:15 pm

ok first off, I love this site, my friend Hayley showed it to me when i was pretty much bedridden and its been a great site for me for months. by far the best site and until this past 2 weeks i was considering sending a few bucks as a donation simply because of that. BUT.....

starting last month I started getting this retarded vista virus, i pay for premium care on my SP so they usually fix it pretty quick usualy in a few hours or so, i couldnt figure out why i was getting it. i dont download anything at all and this and facebook were the only sites visited on my laptop.

if its an ad thing, then you guys should either warn people here to use an adblocker, or discontinue the ads until they fix it, seriously 4 times now in 3 days I got the virus and it definately came as a result of logging on to icefilms, whether its from an ad (which i never click on btw so i dont know how they get me) seriously annoying, and made worse by the fact that nobody told me it was a website I trust that was the vector for getting it.

just as an aside, anyone who makes viruses is a douchebag, plain and simple. if you want a challenge, hack the government computers of a dictatorship or something.

I like this site and have recommended it to several people but now i will be emailing them a heads up, something I feel Icefilms should have emailed me.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#73 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Read this Whole Thread. Turn Of Your Redirect. A Virus Can't Get You Unless You Accept It. It Is Just That Simple. Unless Your Protection Is Worthless.

kingryan69
no0b

Post#74 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:57 pm

thanks tips, I have already followed the advice of the previous poster. and the redirect didnt do anything, the virus was automatic, it didnt require me to do anything other than log on to icefilms and watch stuff.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#75 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:05 pm

No You Get A Window That Says You Have Something Unless You Click On It It Isn't Installed And Is Powerless.

Return to “Old Help Section... For Refrence Only...”