Info on viruses and Fake anti-virus software

This is our Magic Vault, Please only take what you need, to help you on your Quest Enlightenment....

Moderators: Omen, Abe

Forum rules
1. PUT AS MUCH INFO AS YOU CAN IN THE SUBJECT LINE (for example: Gabriel source 7 plays upside down).

2. PUT PAGE URL & SOURCE# IN MESSAGE BODY WHEN REPORTING LINKS. EXAMPLE

Topic Author
Abe
AbeZ Apostle

Info on viruses and Fake anti-virus software

Post#1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:09 pm

I got this PM today:
I am aware that you must get a lot of emails but I thought you might want to know about something regarding your site.

We went to watch Up in the Air tonight and got a Rogue Virus ICCP that shut down our PC's operations. It killed the desktop, removed all the anti viruses and we are currently wiping the drive as we no longer have recourse. I know, that as you've all spent so much time on icefilms making it what it is, you probably don't want to have this happen to anyone else. If you could remove these links, you'd save many people heartaches for their PCS i think heh.

Hopefully, there's a way to safeguard against such things since I very much enjoy ice and want to keep using it. Am looking into methods of protection, and hopefully the greasemonkey helps it :( Just thought the Admins should know about it, so we could destroy any possibility of hurting anyone else.

Thanks!

This is an example of Post Hoc Fallacy. In other words, because A happened before B, one assumes A caused B when really the two things have no causal relation. To prove it, I just happily streamed that film and I'm doing fine. I understand how viruses work enough that I don't even use an anti-virus. I simply don't install what I don't trust.

You used the word "Rogue" which is often used to describe Rogue (or fake) Anti-Virus software. This could very well have been the source of your problem as this type of malware has become very popular lately.

Finally ICCP stands for the Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals which has nothing to do with viruses.

You should keep your software updated so this doesn't happen again in the future viewtopic.php?p=32593#p32593

Be safe.
"Lets burn this mother down!"

* ALL SUPPORT REQUESTS VIA PM WILL BE IGNORED. INSTEAD, SEARCH THE FORUM, POST, OR START A NEW TOPIC.

timkat
no0b

Re: Info on viruses and Fake anti-virus software

Post#2 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Hello guys!
Have you checked if your antivirus software is high rated or low rated before you install it in your computer? If not, have a look here:shady link removed by moderator.
and see if your security software is on the top ten best antivirus software, if it isn't you should change it. :)
Last edited by skeletor on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: suspected spambot ... link deleted containing malware

pkay
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#3 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:59 am

sorry to disagree guys but I only use my netbook for watching icefilms and yesterday a trojan dropped
security suite anti virus onto my computer while I had my antivirus programme temporarily disabled.
this is quite possibly the worst infection I have ever had on my computer and if I ever got the chance
the scumbag who wrote this bitch mailware would be dead.

diisd
no0b

Post#4 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:30 pm

I have been using icefilms for a long time now and have never ever gotten anything from these guys.Have never had any problems other than today when every file is being shown as not a divx file but that's another story.
Have seen the code and it has nothing to do with rouge antivirus.
Why you got infected I have no clues but I know its not because of icefilms.
Removing a rouge antivirus is not that tough mostly they change your lan settings in IE. Login via safe mode and fix advanced lan settings by unchecking the proxy box and then get malwarebytes antimalware and you are done.
If not then search for rkill on google run it in safe mode and follow with a scan of malwarebytes antimalware

quick tutorial :

2. Uncheck these boxes and make it automatic
get malwarebytes antimalware and scan.

zeaun
Average User

Post#5 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:53 pm

I agree with diisd-I've been using icefilms for awhile now and never had problems with virus/bugs. But I have been hit previous and malwarebytes is the way to go but if it is a ugly bug get the pskill or rkill (it does the same thing) file to disable rouge software if unable to do so with task manager. If you use you tops alot then you should be able to tell what programs are to be running when you pull up your task manager. Also where they like to hide first is on hard drive "c" documents & settings all users and look at all the folders possibly with alot of mixed up letters or something you dont reconize.

Shalmainia
Overachiever

Post#6 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:44 am

All I can say... switch to Linux, there's only 40 hypothetical viruses!
Donate to IceFilms today!

Signature by TMRKD

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no soverignty where we gather." A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, John Perry Barlow

Psy
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#7 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:51 am

Nod 32, is the only anti-virus shit i got and it does me the job, and ive never had any viruses or malware from any streaming video site.
Limey Bastard 2.0

three5andeight
Oh my Santa!

Post#8 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:25 pm

So I just dealt with an extremely frustrating "rogue spyware" program or whatever you want to call it. It was called ThinkPoint and its files and processes were named "hotfix". I was in the middle of uploading pictures to facebook and I had a few MSN articles open and bam, this thing popped up saying I had a trojan, and I recognized it as a fake window because it was running under like Microsoft Security Essentials, which I knew was not something that I had on my pc. So I tried to shut it down but it ran anyway and started doing a "scan" on my computer, which scared me so I tried doing ctrl+alt+del and it wouldn't open it up. It gave me some error message saying that it couldn't open the window. So I shut down my pc and then like 45 minutes later after struggling with timing (nearly every time I tried to go into safe mode this ThinkPoint thing took over with its own fake version of "safe mode" and tried running its scan again) I finally was able to do ctrl+alt+esc to open the task manager in safe mode and shut down the hotfix process. Then I did a search for all files that had hotfix in them and manually deleted them. Now I'm running Malwarebytes (it's my first time using this, is it good?) to hopefully see if I got it all, I know sometimes these little buggers can hide and pop up again. So I'm just saying something about it because I have no clue at all how I got it. We haven't downloaded anything but ice shows recently, no torrents, no shady links, nothing, so I just wanted to warn you guys to look out for it maybe and be aware that it's a fake p.o.s. jerkface virus. If you guys have any ideas for me to make sure it won't pop up again, that would be awesome. I am no IT pro but I am awesome at following directions and navigating the deep waters of my pc. Most of what I know and have fixed I've always learned from googling it. Anyway, I didn't really know where else to put this and I saw this thread about viruses. So... yeah.

tl;dr: watch out for a ridiculous mean virus called ThinkPoint/hotfix that presents as a fake anti-spyware program because I have no idea where I got it.

Shalmainia
Overachiever

Post#9 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:13 pm

There isn't really a foolproof way of keeping yourself safe while you're using Windows, there's just too many viruses.
So my suggestions are going to be listed.

1) Consider purchasing a licenced copy of a reputable 'all in one' suite.
2) Look for free alternatives such as AVG and of course, malwarebytes.
3) Install a pop-up blocker that will block shady advertising companies but still allow you to contribute to IceFilms advertising.
4) This is probably going to be a huge culture shock, but you could also install Ubuntu (Linux). It's installation is defaulted to install and run alongside your Windows (This is called dual booting) and you'll have the option of selecting either Windows or Ubuntu at start-up.

Links:
http://www.avg.com/gb-en/free-antivirus
Help with Security/Anonymity Tutorial
http://www.ubuntu.com/
Donate to IceFilms today!

Signature by TMRKD

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no soverignty where we gather." A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, John Perry Barlow

three5andeight
Oh my Santa!

Post#10 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:56 pm

Thanks! I knew basically what Ubuntu was but I never thought of using it. I always thought it was too complicated, but after taking a look at the website, I think I might check it out. Thanks!

Topic Author
Abe
AbeZ Apostle

Post#11 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:58 am

i got the fake Microsoft Security Essentials virus too... nothing worked to clean my virus and eventually windows just stopped booting... so I'm on Linux-Mint now. It's a more windows-like version of Ubuntu and it's very highly rated and very easy to use. Download the bootable CD from one of these mirrors http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=52 and give it a look. EzPz.

* ALL SUPPORT REQUESTS VIA PM WILL BE IGNORED. INSTEAD, SEARCH THE FORUM, POST, OR START A NEW TOPIC.

three5andeight
Oh my Santa!

Post#12 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:26 pm

Abe, I restarted my pc, pounded the F8 key and went into safe mode with networking, and as soon as it started thinking about that I hit ctrl+shift+esc over and over. When it finally brought up the task manager, I think I had to reboot and try this process like 10 times before it worked without the ThinkPoint crap taking over, then I ended the hotfix process so it would quit taking over everything I was trying to do. Then from the task manager, I think I clicked on "run" or whatever it says, but instead of typing anything in, I just did a search in Computer for hotfix and ThinkPoint and deleted what it could find. Then I rebooted again. After that, it ran well enough that I could get to Chrome and I downloaded malwarebytes and it found the rest of the virus and deleted it. It had taken root in a couple places in my registry and everything. It was nuts!

Topic Author
Abe
AbeZ Apostle

Post#13 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:09 pm

glad it went so easy for you.

three5andeight
Oh my Santa!

Post#14 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:37 pm

I wasn't rubbing it in that I was able to get rid of it! I was telling how I did it to possibly help you. :/ I wasn't trying to be mean at all or anything. :( I just thought it would help. Although I was a little surprised at how easy it was too... but still. I was just trying to help.

I just reread what I wrote, I hope me saying "just trying to help" in some form gets the point across, lol

Topic Author
Abe
AbeZ Apostle

Post#15 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:51 pm

thanks, but my shit is toast. i even ran that same malwarebytes app. both my windows partitions bluescreen on boot now. Linux is workin great for me.

Return to “Old Help Section... For Refrence Only...”