IQS 5.0 Using VLC and Basic Settings

Got a tutorial? Put it here. Need a tutorial? Look in here. NO REQUESTS.

Moderator: Omen

Topic Author
Way
RedTek

IQS 5.0 Using VLC and Basic Settings

Post#1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:13 am

I am going to try and show how to use the new script and some basic settings in VLC that will help your connection and help with viewing pleasure.
First install VLC for your OS/system. Now that you have that done we will get into some settings.
I am running Win7/FF12 but this only has to do with VLC so should apply to all as we are only talking about VLC. The screenshots I post will be of this system and may differ some from system to system, but the basic selections will be the same. Now if you already have VLC I would recommend changing all settings back to default to start as you may have changed something by accident this way we are all starting from scratch, and if you change something and mess up you can at anytime start over. Open VLC goto>tools/preferences then click Reset Preferences button in the bottom left. Take note the show settings simple and all we will use them in the next few steps.

Next show settings: all -> input/codecs -> access modules -> HTTP(S) -> Auto re-connect. And Click Save after each change. This fixes the Pause issue.

Now lets increase the Cache time show settings: all -> input/codecs -> access modules -> HTTP(S) you will have to scroll down to the bottom. My default setting was 300(ms) which is small so I changed it to 5000(ms) or 5 seconds so it is still small but is working fine for me. Then save this fixes the start stop buffering problem.

Ok that is the only settings I have found that helps streaming the next few steps if you want to are for viewing pleasure. Open VLC in full screen/aspect ratio/force full screen, and audio filter settings to normalize audio/set volume level.

First open full screen/aspect ratio/force full screen settings I don't know what system your on so you will have to find the aspect ratio you prefer I have a 42" so mine will be different than yours. To find the aspect ratio > while a video is playing right click the player goto>video>aspect ratio> Play with these till you find what you like take note.

Now lets apply this so you don't have to change it every time. show settings: all ->Video>aspect ratio>then enter what you chose above. And if you want VLC to open full screen then tick the full screen box at this time also.

Ok the last thing I have is setting the audio filter to normalize so the sound level stays constant no more really loud car crashes/explosions and how to set the level to start where you want it every time. Play with the volume level to find the % you prefer and make a note. The first pic is where to input this so it starts the same every time the second pic is for the normalizing the sound filter.

Navigate to Tools>Preferences show settings simple Select Audio. Check the "Normalize volume to:" box and set the value to 1.6
Now switch to Advanced view by selecting "All" in the "Show Settings" box at the bottom left
Expand "Audio" and highlight "Filters". Check the "Volume Normalizer" box. You should see "normvol" added to the text box at the bottom
Expand "Filters" and highlight "Volume Normalizer". Set "Number of audio buffers" to 10 and "Maximal volume level" to 1.6
Hit the "Save" button at the bottom

At anytime you mess up or want to play with any of the settings just Reset Defaults and Start over. This is the way I have mine setup now and have been using it with no problems.(the first part) The audio/video settings I have been using for over a year. As I find more things I will edit this post to help out you users this is still new to most of us so we will learn together. But get used to it this is the future ;)

Aight I have tried to help and figure out something to help the people with the buffer problems.
So far I have suggested things and this is just that another suggestion.
I have tried it on all the hosts as a free user, and have had good luck.
I used my old ass dell system so no super computer plus it is on a wireless connection. I can tell you the longer it is to start then the slower the connection speed and the more likely you are to have some buffering hangs but I have watched a whole movie from sharebees as a free user with none.

So I found out that the old version of VLC 1.1.11 will allow a larger cache time ;)

I don't know what amount you should use i don't have any problems with 300ms so you decide on your own what amount to use. This is just for the people that have problems and complain the 60K(ms) on the new version is to small.
Here are some times in ms.
5 minutes = 300 000 milliseconds
15 minutes = 900 000 milliseconds
30 minutes = 1 800 000 milliseconds
1 hour = 3 600 000 milliseconds
2 hour = 7 200 000 milliseconds
999 999 999 milliseconds = 277.777778 hours

Here are the VLC download from VLC site http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... -win32.exe or the zip file of the same http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... -win32.zip
Or from here windows http://www.oldapps.com/VLC_Player.php?old_vlc=51

And the Macs still from VLC site http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... 11/macosx/ you pick what you need Im a mac idiot.
Or from here mac http://mac.oldapps.com/vlc_player.php

You may even find that one version works better for you than others there are several.

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Re: IQS 5.0 Using VLC and Basic Settings

Post#2 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:39 am

Good post Wayhigh (y)
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

WF81
meh

Post#3 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks so much for this, good stuff. Should be linked on the front page.

gingeraj32
Average User

Post#4 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:53 pm

this worked excellent

pINKdalia
Average User

Post#5 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Thank you so much!!

Can i make an inquiry?
**The thing i loved most about the divx player is that it allowed me to multitask...here's what i mean :)**
I was able to put the streaming show/movie into a little box in the corner, and no matter what else i did on the computer, it always stayed in the foreground :D.

Is there a way to make the VLC set up do that? Im very naive to all the inner workings of VLC. Any solutions?

Many Thanks!!
{Snowflakes are winter's flowers}
--pINKdalia

Barstar
meh

Post#6 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:29 pm

So when i try to change my cache time the bars you changed to 5000 just don't exist in my window, am i doing something wrong?

HibbityJibbity
Insomniac

Post#7 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:13 pm

pINKdalia wrote:Thank you so much!!

Can i make an inquiry?
**The thing i loved most about the divx player is that it allowed me to multitask...here's what i mean :)**
I was able to put the streaming show/movie into a little box in the corner, and no matter what else i did on the computer, it always stayed in the foreground :D.

Is there a way to make the VLC set up do that? Im very naive to all the inner workings of VLC. Any solutions?

Many Thanks!!

Topic Author
Way
RedTek

Post#8 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:25 pm

@pINKdalia yes you can set it to always be on top like this.
I edited my TUT to include this dang Hibbs is on the ball ;)

@Barstar Make sure and go show settings ALL in the bottom left and this is the new version VLC and WIN7 like I said in my OP if you are using a different system/version just look for the settings similar to the ones shown.

anontoo
no0b

Post#9 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:12 pm

i tried all the tricks, still getting the freezing, and pausing/skipping.
also, i used to like the fact that there was a temporary downloaded file to watch at a later date in case i couldn't finish watching at that time. now i cannot find that anywhere.

Topic Author
Way
RedTek

Post#10 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Sorry then download it ;) that is a option :)

RISUG
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#11 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 pm

IQS 5.0 - thus far, loving it!

I stream 99% of the time, and I simply adore having the file effectively fully loaded.

With all the hosts Ice has ever used (that didn't sabotage speed) I've been fortunate to have load speeds that are streamable, and fast enough to download the file in a timely fashion if necessary.

But now, with IQS 5.0, I'll never have to save the file if I can't finish what I'm watching. I can just come back to the site and pick up where I left off immediately. As if it were saved to my hard drive!

Not having to worry about the disappearing cursor problem is nice too.
Honesty is praised, and starves.

~ Juvenal

pINKdalia
Average User

Post#12 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:56 pm

THANK YOU!! >.< love it!! all is right with the world again lol ;)
{Snowflakes are winter's flowers}
--pINKdalia

redd
Average User

Post#13 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:45 pm

maybe i'm missing something. i followed the tutorial to a T, but i still can't play videos. please help! i can't watch my shows.
Hi. I'm a recovering crack head. This is my retarded sister that I take care of. I'd like some welfare, please.

Tambr
meh

Post#14 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:48 pm

Hey, big fan of this place but er..

I've followed this tutorial to the letter and I still cant get it to buffer at anything close to a watchable speed. Any help? My internet speed is really decent so it's not that.

Also, I've noticed that anybody expressing even mild frustration with the new IQS (which you have to admit isn't the smoothest running thing in the world, though I appreciate the scene has changed and so we have to follow suit) or asking for help without knowing the intimate workings of streaming (which you didn't have to know to be competent with the last system, so be fair) are getting their heads bit off or taken the piss out off.

So if anyone could help me out without assuming I'm a moron, that'd be lovely.

lovinIT
Average User

Post#15 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:33 pm

I am on the same boat. I have followed above steps. Used to work fine prior to today, however since I've made the updates and followed the configuration, can't even watch my South Park.. :(

Return to “Tutorials”