The Official "Let's bitch about VLC and File Hosts Thread"

This is our Magic Vault, Please only take what you need, to help you on your Quest Enlightenment....

Moderators: Omen, Abe

Forum rules
1. PUT AS MUCH INFO AS YOU CAN IN THE SUBJECT LINE (for example: Gabriel source 7 plays upside down).

2. PUT PAGE URL & SOURCE# IN MESSAGE BODY WHEN REPORTING LINKS. EXAMPLE

Topic Author
Omen
Sex Robot

Post#1 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:57 pm

If you are having problems with VLC or downloading from a file host post your questions or problems here.Please post as much information regarding the problem as you can e.g screenshots,speeds,file names,time,file hosts,browser etc. I will update this post with answers and ways to get around certain problems while we continue to work on IQS.

Dont worry.... as long as you post in this thread no one will hurt you. ... at least not much.
If you have solutions to any common problems post them here.
Also file host owners feel free to answer any questions in this thread.

IQS 5.0:

First we should understand how IQS 5.0 works.
I get it. New Ideas confuse people. So let me start out with explaining the basics.

The divx web player was used in older releases of IQS. Its a very limited player especially for different file types. It was only able to play .divx and .avi files and it wasnt very good at that.

With VLC there is a large amount of file types we are now able to bring to our users.That means more HD content with smaller file sizes. Some people think we are forcing VLC on users. The truth is you can use any media player you like that can handle .xspf playlist files. Hopefully in the future we will bring even more formats to the table.

With IQS 5.0 instead of playing the file in your browser what happens is you download a playlist file. the playlist file contains the location of the file you want to play. Once you have the playlist file you simply open it in the player of your choice but we recommend VLC. The file will begin to stream after opening.

You still have a download option available to you. So for people that miss being able to pause the video and wait for buffering that is the way to go, look below for details.

If you and the file host have good speed the above option should not be needed

This is a huge difference in using VLC over Divx. It may seem like a pain but it opens things up for more features. The reason pausing the video for buffering does not work with VLC is because it uses what we call "live streaming". this allows you to seek to any point of a video before the entire file has buffered. *note ... This does not work with .avi files in VLC but some other media players can handle this.

Benefits in a nutshell:
Support for MKV!!!, OGM, MP4, and FLV file types
Allows immediate seeking to any point in the file
Allows Queueing of videos (requires changing VLC settings)
No more disappearing mouse cursor
No more installing audio codecs
Lighter on file hosts' bandwidth
No more browser plugin headaches
Can close the browser without disrupting playback
No more audio sync issues
Supports skins
Supports external subtitles
400% volume
Custom zoom/aspect ratios (by pressing "C")

File hosts:

Vidhog.com
Countdown timer gets stuck at 1.
Some people are having trouble with vidhogs countdown time getting stuck at 1. we are working on fixing this issue. but for now there is a way around this.

all you have to do is scroll down a little and click the "continue to video" button.

That will take you to the video where you can download or stream.

VLC

Issues with buffering and slow speeds.

how to download and play at the same time.
One way to get around Slow speeds with divx player was to pause the video and allow it to load more of the file. VLC and other media players use "live stream" so you are unable to do this. One way to fix that is to change your cache settings in VLC... but we'll talk about that in another post.
In this one I'll show you how to play a .part file. Basicly you start a download. Which caches the file on your hard drive. You can then wait for the file to "buffer" on your HDD and play the file when you are comfortable.

First step is to begin downloading the file. Make sure you save it some place you can easily find it.
Once the download has started give it a few seconds to load some of the file. Then locate it on your computer. It will have some extension like .part or something like that... you will know it when you see it because it will have the correct file name just the extension will be different.

After you have located the file, open VLC. Drag the file and drop it onto VLC's screen.
A dialog box will pop up asking for some input.

Choose "play as is". And the video will begin to play.

This will help ppl that are having slow speeds.

VLC Alternative
If you have tried everything and still can't make VLC work
Ok folks, If you are having problems with VLC, and miss being able to pause and buffer. As well as see you streaming speed, I have a possible solution for you.

Yes it does require a new program to install, but from my experience it works pretty flawlessly. It requires the install of a new media player, Kantaris (download here) If you don't want to install anything, then don't watch the video.

This is just a suggestion, not a requirement, take it or leave it, but it works great for me.

Just follow the video tutorial and happy streaming!

P.S. I would suggest setting the quality to HD 720p and maximize the screen so that you can see and read all of the text.

P.P.S. To bring up the Open URL box, right click the video screen and click Open URL, or using your keyboard press CTRL+B

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
Check back often. I will be updating this post as much as possible.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
Blood Mode: [On] Off

Image*sig by PiraCee

macxtc
Out of work journalist

Re: The Official "Let's bitch about VLC and File Hosts Threa

Post#2 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:00 pm

posting to keep this thread alive...

I've had no known issues with VLC...

continues to be one of my favorites....

jason2502
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#3 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:12 pm

no issues here either everything running smooth , and thanks to all IF peeps!

AzraelNY
meh

Post#4 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:19 pm

This is my new forum account, my old one seems to have been lost... regardless i shall post what issues i have had.

Stream speed issues: (I do not use premium on the filesharing sites) I have had issues with the streaming speeds, and to clarify when i say slow i mean loading maybe 2 seconds worth of video every 20-30 seconds. I have followed the tutorial and set all my vlc settings to 5000+ in preferences. When using icedivx in the past with sharebees or uploadorb or 180upload, i had no issues with speeds. I'll also mention that my download speed when i test using speedtest.net is always around 17-20 mbps.

The slow speeds seem constant with sharebees and uploadorb (i never use vidhog). That said the only site i have had any luck with was with 180upload, which i got to work with high speeds (or perfectly functional speeds) on 3 separate occasions. It may be based on the time of day though, but i know that one of those instances was at 8pm. However some of these sites were at times slow for me with divx, so its hard to tell what the source of the issue is. The most frustrating thing for me is that i don't know how to tell how fast the stream is dling when using VLC, where as with DivX, the stream speed was in the top right hand corner.

I applaud the effort it took for the switch to be made from VLC from divx, but i certainly wish i could reliably use the icefilms links with it :(.

Edit: Also, i should add to this that i'm currently using OSX lion, and i'll elaborate that when a VLC stream off 180download goes fast, it goes incredibly fast, but as I said in most situations the dl speed seems to be very slow from the other file sites, and with 180 in some cases.
Last edited by AzraelNY on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mirshi
no0b

Post#5 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:24 pm

I don't have a problem with VLC program itself, it has been my default media player for a very long time. I am however having a problem with streaming AND downloading since 5.0 has been out. I'm getting 20-40kb/s on ALL of your new file hosts when at least before 5.0 I would get a slow but stream-able 250+kb/s unless it was a rapidshare link then I would get 2000kb/s plus(love rapid premium!). I really do not want to buy a premium account for the 3-4 new file hosts sites you use now just to be able to watch my shows, one would be great but 4 no thanks.

I've followed the VLC settings tutorial and it didn't help at all. I know it's not my net because it's the same 25mb download/5mbup net that I had before 5.0 came out. I'm not exactly sure how 5.0 would be slowing down all these file hosting sites but seeing how that's the only thing that has changed in the last week from being able to watch whatever i want to being able to watch nothing leads me to believe 5.0 has something to do with it.

macxtc
Out of work journalist

Post#6 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm

I've had fantastic speeds with sharebees up to 2mbps... but it is temperamental and can fluctuate from very low to very high

depending on time of day and bandwidth and usage by others...

fewolfhunter
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#7 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:39 pm

My streaming pleasure has been limited. It is very hit and miss even with the cache set at 60000. I continue to have good luck with the download option. I find I have the least amount of problems while downloading and watching at the same time. Only difference is I have to clean up after myself. The file hosts that work best for me are 180 and sharebees. Most times lately I get a high of 400kb/s and lows of 125kb/s. The change in web players doesn't really affect me too much as I would let the player fetch the file and open it with VLC player from within the temp folder of DIVX videos. Like I said now I have to clean up after myself that is all. I still think VLC is a better player.

ThatDudeSubb
code of Deez

Post#8 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:49 pm

ive always been able to have decent streaming speeds b4 5.0 or was able to download and open the part file and watch on vlc without a single issue in the past. i have changed the settings, and i still get the stopping to buffer every 5 to 10 seconds while streaming.

also when downloading i have access tovidhog premium and still get slow speeds, and by slow speeds im talking under 100kb/s the same speed i get wen i log off premium and down as a normal free user. i was pretty let down wen i seen how slow the vidhog premium was, even during peak times u should be getting the same speeds as free users. cuz why pay for it then. i dont think ill let my girl pay for premium again next month.

Topic Author
Omen
Sex Robot

Post#9 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:11 pm

yes.. if you vidhog guys see this. premium does not seem to increase speeds at all. I do like vidhog though.
Blood Mode: [On] Off

Image*sig by PiraCee

rodentraiser
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#10 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:14 pm

I've had good luck downloading files and here's a plus! I was actually able to SAVE a movie to my computer today and open it back up with VLC! I had a lot of problems doing that on DivX. With VLC, all I do is save it, name it and it's there. I'm pretty stoked about that. So now I'm wondering if I dare ask if someone will relink all 88 episodes of my favorite show so I can save them.

OK, well, maybe I'll wait awhile on that. LOL

My problems now are with my computer and that's not the fault of anyone here. Occasionally the sound will go out and I have to reboot it to get sound back. Grrrr....but as far as Icefilms and VLC is concerned, everything is awesome! (y)

roosengreen
no0b

Post#11 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:05 pm

I need some help, can't get the videos to work. I have gotten greasemonkey, installed the script, I have VLC. And I made sure its used in firefox. I run on windows 7.
When I click play, this is what happens.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/namnlslt.jpg/

Any idea how to fix it? It used to work on my old computer. But I havent used these programs before, back then it was greasemonkey, the script and DivX.
Last edited by roosengreen on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qweendark
Average User

Post#12 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Thank you guys for giving a sh!t. That's not sarcasm. Icefilms has made a concerted effort to make theirs the best viewing experience available for free (donation suggested *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*) and I am d*mn appreciative that they have put the work in.

Ok, a$$-kissing aside, I am still having all sorts of problems with being able to watch anything for more than a minute or two before it has to buffer. This is true of all the filehosts, so I can't blame it on an individual. I have tried my input/codec settings on the default 300, 3000, 5000, 7000, and 60000, to no avail. I have tried downloading the file and watching it while it downloads (that was even slower).

I am on a year old HP Pavilion g series laptop running a 500GB hard drive, 200GB RAM, Intel Core i3 CPU, on a 6Mbps DSL connection, through an Atheros AR9285 802.11 wireless router.

While I know my connection is slow, I had no problems streaming (yes, I know that is a somewhat inaccurate term) programs through the old 4.9 divx system.

un4gettable47
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#13 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Have u guys ever tried BitComet? It is the only bittorrent client that I know of that can download a video sequentially so u can start watching it right away using vlc. Just go to the file location of the torrent you are downloading and open it with vlc, make sure the download is going at a decent speed such as 400kb/s (it will start out slow but pick up soon enough depending on seeds). U need to right click on the torrent and set it to download in preview mode so it downloads sequentially. BitComet is not like crappy utorrent that still freezes every 10 seconds using vlc. So essentially "BitComet" is like "MEGAUPLOAD" in a way, even though it is a bittorrent client. Check it out and respond back here and tell us how it went. Cool...
Last edited by un4gettable47 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Xinfector
Average User

Post#14 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:44 pm

Far as I can tell most of the issues people are having are due to the speeds being received from the hosts. In the end there isn't much IF can do to change that.

un4gettable47
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#15 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:12 am

Qweendark wrote:200GB RAM,

loooooololololololz

Return to “Old Help Section... For Refrence Only...”