Tutorial: Most Useful Forum Functions Explained

Got a tutorial? Put it here. Need a tutorial? Look in here. NO REQUESTS.

Moderator: Omen

Topic Author
Shalmainia
Overachiever

Tutorial: Most Useful Forum Functions Explained

Post#1 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:51 am

Okay everybody, today I'm going to take you through some of the post functions on the forum, the rest I'll leave you to explore at your own amusement.

You can view a video created by LeM explaining these at this topic here.

We're going to try and do this in a very simple format and incorporate examples of usage as well as imagary, but it's still going to be quite text heavy so equip your super-duper 3D vision reading specs.

These are your basics, "B" stands for bold, "i" stands for italics and "u" stands for underline.
Firstly, prepare your statement E.G "Hello my name is shalmainia", secondly highlight the part you want bolding/italic/underlined and click the button representing the function. You will notice that around the word coding will appear, don't worry it will look normal after you post it, preview this to be sure!

"Quote", "Code" & "List" are all extremely different functions;

Quote:
You can use the quote function in two ways, to quote a specific person and the other to quote an author unknown or just un-necissary to get your point accross. To quote a specific person, you can click the quote function in their post and you will have all your coding done for you, alternatively you can click the quote button in the reply section and leave the author blank. To add an author from within a reply, click "Quote"
[ quote ] [ /quote ] <--- It will appear thus, after it states the first quote type "=" and add the name in between speech marks "="Shalmainia"" and type your message within the closing and opening brackets, so it will appear as thus.
[ quote="Shalmainia"]Hiya World[/quote ]

Example:
Shalmainia wrote:Hiya World

Code:
This forum's rules tell us that we should encase all downloadable links with the coding tag, this means that if you are using a specific board style you can use the inbuilt link checker on all download links instantly to see if they're still active. To do this, we can type in the URL as such.
"http://www.google.com/" then highlight the full URL and click on the code button, this will encase it and make it active for checking for those using the TwilightBB board style.

List:
This one is pretty self explainatory, although rarely used it can be pretty helpful, again, highlight your information and click the List function.

Img stands for "Image", URL stands for "Uniform Resource Locator"
These are probably the most used functions on any forum, image is used to display URL's containing an image, as a picture directly on the forums.

The URL function helps you to turn normal text into hyperlinks to webpages.
As with the other functions on the forum, highlight your section of text and click the button or you can hold your mouse over the buttons to see the code needed to do this if you wanted to do it manually. View "Example 1" below to see how it looks.

Example 1: http://www.google.com/

Note: you can go a little more advanced and remove the full webpage alltogether and just leave the name of the website, or what ever you want. The code for this is as follows, remember to remove the spaces. [ url= http://www.example.com /] Hello World [ /url ] To see this in effect, view "Example 2" below.

Example 2: Hello World

NFO as a term, is actually a contraction of the word "Information". This is most commonly used for storing large bodies of text such as gaming tips, installation instructions and system requirements. Very useful bit of tech.

Center does exactly what it says on the tin, highlight your text and click center to move center-align the text.

Spoiler is very useful for these forums, it takes your text and hides it from others until they decide whether to click the spoiler button. This way you can discuss episodes of your favorite show or movie on the Critics Corner without revealing the ending to others who haven't seen it. It has other uses as well, ofcourse.

Well that's the end of it, if any of the mods want to add more to the post, feel free to edit.
Donate to IceFilms today!

Signature by TMRKD

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no soverignty where we gather." A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, John Perry Barlow

Omen
Sex Robot

Re: Tutorial: Most Useful Forum Functions Explained

Post#2 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:18 pm

good post!!! im gonna sticky this. :)
Blood Mode: [On] Off

Image*sig by PiraCee

Topic Author
Shalmainia
Overachiever

Post#3 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Thank ya, I remember this one took me a while.
Donate to IceFilms today!

Signature by TMRKD

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no soverignty where we gather." A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, John Perry Barlow

Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#4 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:03 am

Yeah, good post Shal.
"And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put
to death, and all the congregation shall stone him".

Leviticus 24: 16

rushdie
no0b

Post#5 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:44 am

Thanks

zwq
Average User

Post#6 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:17 am

thank you!

Return to “Tutorials”