Introducing myself

Tell us a little bit about yourself. We are happy to meet you.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Topic Author
dianad
Average User

Introducing myself

Post#1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:21 am

I'm Diana. My old login was malidog, but couldn't log in with that anymore so I just went ahead and registered a new login.

I've been using this site since NV was seized, but I am also writing my dissertation on piracy and political resistance. If anyone ever wants to chat about that let me know; I am always looking to discuss the issue with people.

One question: why aren't more episodes of Judge Judy uploaded? PLEASE SOMEONE UPLOAD MORE EPISODES OF JUDGE JUDY!

A million thanks for all the great work you guys do!

diana

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Re: Introducing myself

Post#2 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:14 pm

Welcome back. There is no piracy only sharing. This causes the old system of Copywrong angst... Oh well, the times they are a changing. Look at the numbers. I went in and looked at your previous name and it shows you were last active in January. Is it not accepting you password?

Topic Author
dianad
Average User

Post#3 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:49 pm

Nope. And I think when I registered years ago, I used an email account that I have since deleted or don't remember so I didn't have any luck trying to get the pw reset.

Also, I agree with you about sharing, which is why I chose file sharing and downloading as a dissertation topic.

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#4 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:11 pm

"There is no piracy, only sharing." What an incredibly dumb statement. Just because something exists does not mean we all have a given right to have access to it. If there was no piracy, the word would not exist.
Would it be great to live in a utopia where everything is shared openly for the (hopeful) advan cement of society?......sure.
Are we close to that....no.
Are we headed that direction...meh.
Sharing and piracy are two very different things, though very closely related depending on circumstance. Only when legislation changes on piracy can one say "sharing". Until then, piracy is piracy.
No offense Russ, just my nickel on the subject.
Welcome back malidog.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#5 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:47 pm

That is the line we have to hold.. There is a alot of the 1% that think that they are above us all. I used to work with them... They collect people like us Rep. I am pretty sure they do it so they can keep an eye on us, just to save them problems later. I know how they think. Hell with my Dad I was in the vault that the Muzak tapes were run from. Look it up. They had an anti-piracy thinking that was draconian...

Topic Author
dianad
Average User

Post#6 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:09 am

"Just because something exists does not mean we all have a given right to have access to it."

Then why are broadcast networks under the purview of the FCC (in the U.S., anyway). Isn't access to local broadcast network programming available to all of us with a TV and a pair of rabbit ears? Why then, can't that programming be shared?

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#7 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:28 pm

I am and always have been a believer that anything transmitted via radio frequency is mine by legal rights. If you broadcast it without my consent and I receive it, it is mine to use however I wish.

What part of your dissertation is dedicated to broadcast tv; just curious. Also, how familiar are you with "the scene"?
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#8 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:31 pm

Topic Author
dianad
Average User

Post#9 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:13 am

My dissertation focuses on tv content exclusively, and I don't distinguish between broadcast network content and pay cable stuff like HBO, Showtime. However, I do examine the Aereo case from last summer and who brought that case against Aereo and how that decision prevents people from accessing broadcast networks. I also use enclosure theory of the commons to try and make a similar case for broadcast network content and how its content been removed from the public and placed in the hands of corporate interests.

Return to “Introductions”