Windows OS. Any trouble with 8.1?

Anything goes here... you silly, silly people. That is, anything goes unless its On Topic.... if that makes sense.... i dunno... i confuse me... Serious topics that have nothing to do with icefilms go here too.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Forum rules
Anything goes here... you silly, silly people. That is, anything goes unless its On Topic.... if that makes sense.... i dunno... i confuse me...

oh also no advertising or Banned...

Topic Author
Catsin
Heart on for IceFlims

Windows OS. Any trouble with 8.1?

Post#1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:55 pm

I've been using XP for ever and am thinking of upgrading to 8.1. Does anyone have any issues with VLC or greasemonkey, or any of the other stuff we use to download video? I do not want to lose my capability to use Icefilms.

The reason I am thinking of upgrading (bcs I have no issues with XP) is my graphics card. I had intel chipset express 965 and it sort of disappeared. In my efforts to re-do the driver I had to update Java, but Java won't update bcs XP is no longer supported. So if anyone has any thoughts on THAT, maybe I won't have to upgrade after all.

Thanks Icers!

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Re: Windows OS. Any trouble with 8.1?

Post#2 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:21 pm

The reason you should be thinking of upgrading should not be compatibility issues. It should be security. That OS is not even supported anymore. If you want to upgrade(and should), go to win7 as it is very similar to xp. Personally, I would suggest you also try tinkering around with some Linux distros as well.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#3 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Win 8.1 has a specific hardware spec. Unless you have a very new platform it is not going to happen.
Here is a summary of the system requirements:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Free hard drive space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

fatgirlstryhard
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#4 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:05 pm

w8.1 also has better support for SSD drives if you have one.
that's why i upgraded from w7, and i'm pretty happy.

my philosophy of always skipping one windows OS incarnation works great^^

Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#5 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 am

Or if you have spare space/drive or another machine, join the insider's program and test out Windows 10.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-new ... eview.html

Mind you, it is only a preview and can break on you, so do not overwrite your current OS.
The preview ends in April.

BTW, I'm still using W7 sans Aero, and prefer to get the parts together for a test machine, rather than dual boot.

You might want to go to
http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/95-micr ... -products/
and see the XP/2000 and Win'98 subforums and see what their users are doing to keep their favourite Windows OS alive and kicking and secure.
Up until August of 2013 I was still fiddling with the unofficial upgrades to 2000 Pro using the 5.1 kernel and XP APIs but got tired and surrendered to 7, but 7 has a lot of backward compatibility, which I like for legacy hardware[stuff that has no 64-bit drivers] and 32 bit software. 10 promises to do the same and if you know how to implement PAE [physical address extension]
you can use more than 4gigs on 32-bit.
One guy in the 2000 forum has a six-core [broke the 2-core barrier] machine running 8gigs of system using PAE.
I think I may already posted a screen-shot here but if you go there you can see it.
http://i.imgur.com/H24q6dg.jpg

Thank You to Russtronic™ for my sig!

Return to “Off Topic”