Backing Up A Little Too Late....& followup

Anything goes here... you silly, silly people. That is, anything goes unless its On Topic.... if that makes sense.... i dunno... i confuse me... Serious topics that have nothing to do with icefilms go here too.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Forum rules
Anything goes here... you silly, silly people. That is, anything goes unless its On Topic.... if that makes sense.... i dunno... i confuse me...

oh also no advertising or Banned...

Topic Author
Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Backing Up A Little Too Late....& followup

Post#1 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:45 am

Well, poverty will do that to ya. Should have done it in June when my files on the TV (2TB Seagate Green) HDD started playing with some anomalies. Like stopping, then slo-mo for 1-2 seconds, but then all diagnostic software was still reporting a healthy drive. Then later, CrystalDiskInfo {spelled that way} Portable started reporting an amber caution in the condition box, just above the temperature reading.
So I bought a 4TB WD Green, as it was on sale, though I am a Seagate fanboy, as they got me all through my Atari 16/32 bit years and it was the WDs that kept going tits up during the Win98 times.
Using Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, as even Window's Backup couldn't complete a backup and now reports the 2TB as bad, and after some lockups, I just let W7 do it's own CHKDSK routine after a reset, still no go for Win Backup, so Roadkil's it is, very slow if you set it for "Best Data Recovery" and though it can last for days, I'm still losing files.
Lost 4 Doctor Who [2005 version] and it is currently on "Game of Thrones" , have the 'skip damaged files' attribute on, lost 6 GoT episodes so far, or only got a partial recovery.

I was going to ask here what is the best way to re-acquire lost files, answered my own question when I researched torrent sites, but limited it to GoT, I doubt it is going to be that easy with DW.
I will know later, started the recovery/backup process on the 26th. and it will be days before RUC has completed.
Only up to the "Gs" right now, still 1000 files to go, according to RUC's dialogue box.
Just a cautionary tale!
BTW the Seagate only has just under 29000 hours on it, another Seagate Green, 2TB, in the older PVR, built a year earlier than the workstation, still healthy, the Maxtor, used for real-time shifting and pause has about 45000 hours on it.
The 3rd Seagate Green, used only for movies doesn't count really, as it has less than 7000 hours on it.
So, I'm crossing my fingers, and hoping the 6 and 8 TB come down in price, or can afford another 4TB and then run Backup for the other data drives. I usually don't worry about boot drives [currently all SSDs] as they only contain the OS, and assorted utilities, easily duplicated, though I do know an image is good for preserving settings and preferences but all that depends on whether I can afford more drives. Got other bills to pay and I'm laid up with a broken foot, can't walk, can't work.
Well, enough crying in my beer, back to life, such as it is.

Thank You to Russtronic™ for my sig!

Topic Author
Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Re: Backing Up A Little Too Late....& followup

Post#2 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:58 pm

The Seagate crapped out while RUC was in the 'Gs' lost a lot of Game of Thrones, some 'Gotham' and a bunch of 'Arrow' as it sat in a folder labelled, on purpose, as "Green Arrow".
Learned that it is possible for a dodgy HDD to affect other aspects of a computer, with lockups mostly. Had to reboot, W7 ran its CHKDSK during loading, killed the Volume Label and the index. Turned the drive back to 'raw' condition and against dialogue boxes saying to, held off from re-formating, a colleague suggested, as it may be possible to still recover the data off the platters.

I found torrents easier though, since it contained nothing but TV shows, I've recovered both the old and new Thunderbirds with Torrents, Torchwood and season one of Once Upon a Time, the only roadblock, my ISP data cap, so it will take a few months to rebuild 'H' to 'Z', so its not the disaster it would have been had the contents been crucial, like school-work or research, which I always duplicate on external or removable media, the only hassle there being finding all copies when it is time to destroy obsolete, unwanted or redundant material.
Which leads me to my next "off-topic" thread.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#3 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Well what did you expect when you did this???
When you should have done it like this. ( I only do this twice a week now.)

Topic Author
Lone Browncoat
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#4 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:55 pm

Hardy Har Har!

(rofl)
(laugh)
(y)

Return to “Off Topic”