Does God Exist?: Christopher Hitchens Vs William Lane Craig

Anything goes here... you silly, silly people. That is, anything goes unless its On Topic.... if that makes sense.... i dunno... i confuse me... Serious topics that have nothing to do with icefilms go here too.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Forum rules
Anything goes here... you silly, silly people. That is, anything goes unless its On Topic.... if that makes sense.... i dunno... i confuse me...

oh also no advertising or Banned...

Topic Author
ThoughtProcess
Heart on for IceFlims

Does God Exist?: Christopher Hitchens Vs William Lane Craig

Post#1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:31 am

Christopher Hitchens is an author, journalist, and literary critic. He has been a columnist at Vanity Fair, The Atlantic, World Affairs, The Nation, Slate, Free Inquiry, and a variety of other media outlets. He is the author of such books as, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice, The Trial of Henry Kissinger as well as many others.

William Lane Craig is an American philosopher and theologian known for his contributions to the philosophy of religion, the philosophy of time, philosophical theology, and historical Jesus studies. He is also the author of such books as, Apologetics: An Introduction, Assessing the New Testament Evidence for the Historicity of the Resurrection of Jesus, The Son Rises: Historical evidence for the resurrection of Jesus as well as many others.

Hitchens Vs Craig Debate

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JETB3YGP

"I have decided to settle accounts with the nation of Amalek for opposing Israel when they came from Egypt. Now go and completely destroy the entire Amalekite nation--men, women, children, babies, cattle, sheep, camels, and donkeys." - God

Topic Author
ThoughtProcess
Heart on for IceFlims

Re: Does God Exist?: Christopher Hitchens Vs William Lane Craig

Post#2 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:44 am

In my opinion Hitchens doesn't destroy Craig as he typically has other Christian Apologists. Craig does ... alright (I mean that from a completely objective standpoint) ... when he speaks as if he was a non-denominational theist, but once he brings up Jesus and Christianity I just couldn't help but laugh. Someone as intelligent as William Lane Craig should be ashamed to claim that there is any kind of valid proof for the resurrection of Jesus.

My interest in these kinds of debates isn't so much focused on the "Does God Exist" part. I just like to see those who claim to know there is a God, and not only that ... but they know which God is the "right" one, get their asses handed to them, intellectually speaking.

I will try to post more of these debates in the future. I had another one to post but Megaupload is acting like a douche.
"I have decided to settle accounts with the nation of Amalek for opposing Israel when they came from Egypt. Now go and completely destroy the entire Amalekite nation--men, women, children, babies, cattle, sheep, camels, and donkeys." - God

Abe
AbeZ Apostle

Post#3 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:09 pm

Thoughtprocess123 wrote:Someone as intelligent as William Lane Craig should be ashamed to claim that there is any kind of valid proof for the resurrection of Jesus.

That's the problem with apologetics. it's a field based on bullshit (aka faith). just look at humanity and you can clearly see that faith is a poor measurer of truth. any intelligent person knows the existence and nature of god(s) is agnostic (unknowable).

any time you have "faith", you have to have "a leap". as in "a leap of faith". this "leap" is the suspension of logic. its a jump from the logical to the illogical. there is no need for faith when things make sense. therefore, anything based on faith is illogical.
"Lets burn this mother down!"

* ALL SUPPORT REQUESTS VIA PM WILL BE IGNORED. INSTEAD, SEARCH THE FORUM, POST, OR START A NEW TOPIC.

Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#4 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:45 pm

Hitchens gets my vote. Every time is see one of these (great post thoughtprocess123), i can't help feeling that the pro faith speaker can almost smell his own sh#t. As the religious 'signal' gets weaker and weaker and the over used clichés fall aside all that seems to be left is unquantifiable nonsense.

On the other hand i get sick of speaking to atheists who are so stuck up there own arses that they have made being one a religion in itself. They have lost focus of what it means to be an atheist and just readily knock biblical errancy with their prepared lines and rhetoric. I am not one of them. I don't believe in a god, but my mind is not closed.

However, watching this and other debates convinces me even more that, as scientist discover more and religions continue to compromise core beliefs, my side of the line is going to get more and more full.

Then, maybe, when we all realise it IS just us and this IS it we can all grow up, graduate and enter this big, not-so-bad-anymore world with open eyes with which to relish and respect its beauty.
"And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put
to death, and all the congregation shall stone him".

Leviticus 24: 16

Abe
AbeZ Apostle

Post#5 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:41 pm

one argument that i cant believe smart people are stupid enuf to make:

"Morality is impossible without God."

I cant believe Craig thinks god makes rape immoral. without god given morality, we'd all be raping each other.

we have empathy. and we are thinking people. would i like to be raped? no. so i prolly shouldnt rape others.

morality. its that simple.

* ALL SUPPORT REQUESTS VIA PM WILL BE IGNORED. INSTEAD, SEARCH THE FORUM, POST, OR START A NEW TOPIC.

Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#6 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:05 pm

They keep knocking on that door and it pisses me off too. Only a fleeting glance at the history of warfare shows that religion itself has killed more people in the name of god (pick a card, any card - sorry, meant god).

I love (read: hate) the way Craig also, arrogantly, thinks so many other religions are wrong (jews, muslims, lots a christian spin-offs) and at no point does it click to have respect for their views other than his own.

Hitchens drops a good one in in the other debate about why did god choose to show his prowess in the most dishevelled pit of the world (the middle east at the time), to the simplest people with which to convince them of his power as opposed to, say, China where they were already reading, had medicine and looking through telescopes!

Abe
AbeZ Apostle

Post#7 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:09 pm

yeah lol bronze age Palestine... at a time when (i hear) there were hundreds of self proclaimed savior gods roaming around.

I dun like how Hitchens debates. Craig makes his 5 very structured arguments, then Hitchens promptly ignores them all. He never responds to anyones arguments. He just goes on and on about how bad religion is for the world. which is true... but still.

lilmiss
code of Deez

Post#8 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:43 am

of course god exists...he is JEHOVAH ! with out him nothing is possible !
and JESUS is his son ! our saviour !

Abe
AbeZ Apostle

Post#9 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:14 am

thats adorable :P

Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#10 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:52 pm

Bless him ;)

macxtc
Out of work journalist

Post#11 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:52 pm

Jesus is coming, look busy

Topic Author
ThoughtProcess
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#12 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:10 pm

LOL Mac hahaha

macxtc
Out of work journalist

Post#13 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:11 pm

I'm telling on you T.P. (this way I can slip out the back door while he's busy with you)

Return to “Off Topic”