is downloading illegal ?

Anything goes here... you silly, silly people. That is, anything goes unless its On Topic.... if that makes sense.... i dunno... i confuse me... Serious topics that have nothing to do with icefilms go here too.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Forum rules
Anything goes here... you silly, silly people. That is, anything goes unless its On Topic.... if that makes sense.... i dunno... i confuse me...

oh also no advertising or Banned...

freestylegreek
Heart on for IceFlims

Re: is downloading illegal ?

Post#16 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:08 pm

If Hollywood is losing money then how on earth are they able to make soooooooooo many movies? If they're losing money you would think we wouldn't see any movies at all.

Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Post#17 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:53 am

In Switzerland it's completely legal to download any video you want to watch - they don't approve of making criminals of their citizens for the sake of a few rich "foreigners" (Hollywood media moguls). We could learn something from them.

In the US, it's probably "illegal" to some degree, though not necessarily criminal, to download. Streaming is another matter, and should fall under fair use (in my opinion, so should downloading - and uploading). Of course I could be completely mistaken. I'm not a lawyer.

In the US you're allowed to record and keep anything broadcast on your TV. You can make archival copies of your dvds, too. You can even give copies of your recordings out to your friends (though that applies specifically to audio recordings, and may or may not apply to videos). Yet you can't download shows that played on your TV from the internet? You can't upload digital copies of your shows to a file locker, like megaupload?

Something's seriously wrong when people are being treated like criminals, their assets seized, threatened with prison or huge damage assessments, and forced to defend themselves in court, for doing, or allowing to be done, on the internet in digital form, the very same things allowed under fair use on your personal home equipment (if you can afford it).

It's just wrong!
Ignorance and callousness are not virtues

A bleeding heart is a symbol of holiness, a symbol of compassion, not an epithet

When our discourse sinks to the level of meaningless, pejorative labels and personal name-calling rather than honest reflection and reasoned dialogue, we are no longer a people, but a mob

Stan
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#18 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:27 am

gogmorgo wrote:
Stan wrote:guess im going to jail then because way before i discovered IF i was viewing videos directly off megavideo and somtimes even downloaded videos so i can watch it later with my family.

Well, jail time I think is unlikely, if you were to get caught, which is also not 100% guaranteed that you will be. Mostly it's just a fine or making you pay them back for what you got. But unless you've gone nuts on it, and have seriously cost them a lot you're less likely to get caught. The copyright holders aren't likely to go after you unless they can get enough to cover their legal fees. But like speeding 10mph over isn't likely to net you a ticket, or even get you pulled over, it's still not legal and you never know what kind of day the cop's had. Some might get away with 20 mph over, and others might get a ticket for 5.
There are legal ways to download stuff (eg. iTunes, Netflix, etc.) too, but usually you need to pay for it.

if not jail then i'd be bankrupt (depending how much the fine is). I was watching tv shows online, watching live sports from myp2p ( now shut down) and downloading ( i stoped downloading when i discovered Ninjavideo a few years back) since 2003.

gogmorgo
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#19 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:47 pm

I still wouldn't be too concerned. As far as the fines go (and I glean this mostly from the FBI warnings at the beginning of DVD's) they're much more concerned about the people distributing. The fines do go to six figures. But if you haven't been distributing, you're likely in the clear. The laws that stand (however badly they apply to digital media) state that you're completely allowed to do this via analogue media, just not for profit.
As someone pointed out above, in some ways, streaming is a bit like stumbling upon someone playing the stuff on a big screen in their back yard. You can see it over their fence. Is what you're doing illegal? In that case, no. Things get a little bit twisted when it comes to the internet.
Don't loose sleep over it. While it might happen, I don't think I've ever heard of someone getting busted just for downloading stuff.

freestylegreek
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#20 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:27 pm

So maybe someone should make a file storage site in Switzerland.

fatgirlstryhard
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#21 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:33 pm

like rapidshare? ;)

freestylegreek
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#22 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:38 pm

Ya like rapidshare but make it work with icefilms and make it work so we can watch movies.

Tatts4Life
meh

Post#23 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:01 am

The way I see it if I all ready own the movie but download it because that's faster and easier then ripping the movie then it's legal. So what if I own the DVD but would prefer to own the blu-ray quality. I'm not stealing a movie if I already own it.

Return to “Off Topic”