To many genre-tags

Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Forum rules
Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Topic Author
Motherofgod
meh

To many genre-tags

Post#1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:28 am

I think that some movies has to many genretags. Lika The Hangover for example.
It is in 4 genres, also it has quite high rateing. I suggest that you should narrow
it down to 2 genretags at the most on every movie so that when you sort the
movies by genre you would like to see, you dont get many of the same film
in the list.
Sorry for my not so good english.

Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Re: To many genre-tags

Post#2 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:13 pm

By the sound of it you found what you were looking for. Surely good enough?
"And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put
to death, and all the congregation shall stone him".

Leviticus 24: 16

Topic Author
Motherofgod
meh

Post#3 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Uhm, no. If i want to see a thriller i wouldnt be seeing The Hangover... (The hangover is just an example..)

Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#4 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:58 pm

So what would you class say Saun of the Dead as?

A horror?
A comedy?
A rom-com?
A black-comedy?
or what they chose... A rom-zom-com?

The point is one man thriller is another man horror, and I'd argue most comedies are anything but. It very subjective.

If you just want two tags then you'd have 20,000+ thrillers to choose from here. I can only assume that's what you want?

three5andeight
Oh my Santa!

Post#5 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:41 pm

I agree with PG, I like the genres as is. But the OP meant that each movie has a max of two tags, not just two tags total, like either thriller or comedy, etc. But it still presents problems like PG points out. It's hard to classify movies into so few categories when everyone has a different opinion. Shaun of the Dead could be comedy and horror or it could be action and comedy or action and horror, etc., you see the problem. If it was left out of the comedy genre it would surely be robbed and vice versa if it was left out of action, horror, rom-com, etc. But I do get what the OP was saying that it can be sometimes annoying when browsing for a movie and you just keep seeing the same ones because of the genres. Perhaps there's another solution?

IFFTeam
Insomniac

Post#6 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:43 pm

I kinda like Motherofgod's suggestion because I too have had the same experience when genre browsing.

The Hangover genres include: Comedy | Crime | Mystery | Thriller. Two more than mentioned on IMDB (which shows only "Comedy | Crime")

Albeit the movie is in a thriller like pace and there is mystery, I think it's safe to say that most people who watched it wanted to because of its humor. It's main genre would be Comedy. If I saw the words "Crime | Mystery | Thriller", the Hangover would not be the 1st movie that would come to mind, but rather a suspenseful murder action film. Shaun of the dead is listed as Comedy | Horror in both our listings and IMDB, which seems appropriate (although there is a lot of zombie killing action :D )

On the other hand, the process of renaming ten's of thousands of movies just to simplify genre browsing would be a logistical nightmare, and perhaps would require more time and energy than would be saved. The Hangover is the highest hit movie with 400K, maybe we can compromise and only adjust the movies with higher hits, or on a per report basis?

Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#7 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:40 am

Or not? Look, I'm all for helping people out but whatever gets applied it'll be fine for some and not for others. Rarely does the genre section get is sooooooo wrong i.e. class a horror as a documentary. The best rule of thumb is to ask in the forum. Ideally it would be chat but that all depends of the average age of the 'client base' at the time.

macxtc
Out of work journalist

Post#8 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:25 pm

I don't like the way the genre tags are sorted either...

that's IMDB you have to blame not Icefilms...

Return to “Critics Corner”