Sister Wives

Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Forum rules
Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Topic Author
three5andeight
Oh my Santa!

Sister Wives

Post#1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:44 pm

I don't think this is on ice yet, but you can watch it on TLC's site. Have any of you watched this? I'm Mormon and I've only ever heard bad things about polygamists. I always hear about how mistreated and brainwashed the wives are, that the men are just horny and greedy, etc. This show follows a completely modern polygamist Fundamentalist Mormon family through their lives and as they add a new wife and her three children from a previous marriage. I expected to be appalled by what I saw on this show and instead I'm in awe of how they're living. I think it's really great how they're going about it. They seem genuinely happy as a family, the wives love having each other for help and friendship, the kids love all being together and they've worked out this system of sharing the husband equally and they seem to be handling it pretty well. They've said that they don't expect their children to follow their same lifestyle if they don't want to and that they can be whatever religion they want.

Because of this show, this family might be prosecuted because it is against the law to have plural marriages in Utah (and most, if not all of the other states here). I think that's tremendously sad. This family seems so happy and they aren't doing anything to hurt anyone. I think that the government should look more into how the families are being treated rather than the fact that there is more than one marriage going on. I would hate to see this family broken up because they decided to create awareness by doing this show. If anything, they are doing a lot of good by giving these children a loving home to grow up in. This show just completely changed my thoughts about polygamy in general. Yes, there are those sects like that one in Texas where marriages are forced and even at a very young age, and the relationships are often unhappy and abusive, but this way of doing polygamy seems just as normal as my own marriage or any other family relationship. I wonder how many polygamists in the States there are that practice it this way instead of the scary way that was exposed in the Texas compound. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? You're all usually pretty opinionated.

ThoughtProcess
Heart on for IceFlims

Re: Sister Wives

Post#2 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Well... it's a wacky lifestyle in my opinion lol. *Insert rant critical of religion here*. Aside from my opinions about that stuff, I don't think they should be prosecuted. The government should mind its own business and allow them to practice their religion. If the kids aren't being abused or mistreated, or if there isn't any kind of actual detrimental, criminal act being committed, then the gub'ment should mind its own damn business. 99% of those in government should be prosecuted for a long list of crimes, all of which are far worse than polygamy lol.
"I have decided to settle accounts with the nation of Amalek for opposing Israel when they came from Egypt. Now go and completely destroy the entire Amalekite nation--men, women, children, babies, cattle, sheep, camels, and donkeys." - God

Topic Author
three5andeight
Oh my Santa!

Post#3 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Yes! Exactly! I'm glad someone else gets my point of view. Regardless of their religion, no matter how crazy it is, as long as they aren't hurting anyone or their family then they should be allowed to practice it. Haven't seen you around here for a while! Good to see you! :)

otis_driftwood
Oh my Santa!

Post#4 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:09 pm

My stance on most things is this, if it isn't hurting anyone, who fucking cares. The government has become a nanny state by involving itself in our daily lives, “That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.” I think if a dude wants a couple wives go for it, if a dame wants a couple gentlemen in marriage so be it. Keep your business to yourself and we needn't worry about anything.

Also TP, where have you been brotha?

tbutterw
code of Deez

Post#5 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:19 am

I watched this show the other day with my mom and I was fairly entertained. The parents seem to have a solid relationship and the kids don't seem to be at all effect by the multiple marriages. At least they aren't being abused and brainwashed and aren't being sold.
Also, did you see the cars they drive?!?! I wish I had of grown up in a 5 income household!

Topic Author
three5andeight
Oh my Santa!

Post#6 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:45 am

I know, seriously! On the most recent episode I was like um... is that a Lexus?? And they talk about just barely making it money wise? Obviously not!!

Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#7 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:41 pm

Sounds like an episode of Caprica.
"And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put
to death, and all the congregation shall stone him".

Leviticus 24: 16

Topic Author
three5andeight
Oh my Santa!

Post#8 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:42 pm

What I REALLY want to know about is their sex lives. I can't imagine the jealousy the wives may feel and maybe the exhaustion of the guy even, it's gotta get old. In this show, he rotates nights with them and then I think weekends, so if each wife only sees him every fourth night, they're gonna wanna have sex right? So if he has to have sex with each woman every night, and he's been married to them for 20, 18 and 17 years? That's crazy! And one of the wives has to be better than the others, or better at foreplay, so does he end up dreading it with one and wishing he was with another? Do they even do foreplay? That's just the oddest part to me and I really wish someone would just be honest about it because I want to know! I want to know how they really feel about it! I think I'm probably just thinking about it too much, as I do with most things. :P

Return to “Critics Corner”