The Walking Dead

Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Forum rules
Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

macxtc
Out of work journalist

Re: The Walking Dead

Post#16 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Sovereign42 wrote:I don't like something you guys do doesn't make me a bad person. Running over pedestrians in my car

I KNEW THAT WAS YOU!!!!.....

I'M CALLING THE POLICE!!!!

Shalmainia
Overachiever

Post#17 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:39 am

hehe I was only kidding. :P
Donate to IceFilms today!

Signature by TMRKD

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no soverignty where we gather." A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, John Perry Barlow

carlcon
Average User

Post#18 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:08 am

I'm not on board with all this hyperactive praise at all. Here are my reasons:

1) 100% Unoriginal thus far. I know it's a zombie show and you can only expect so much, but every non-zombie aspect of the show has been done before. My biggest complaint in this area would be the way he managed to survive while unconscious in a hospital... 28 Days Later anyone? Admittedly, that's my favourite zombie movie, so a comparison to that isn't a bad thing... but it seemed to just copy it.

2) I like when writers make an effort to make their own versions of zombies. This, however, seems to be borrowing the generic zombie rules... Head-shot kills them, bites kill you... fever, un-dead, repeat. Yawn. - Although I know they have plenty of time to explain the zombie process further, so I'll hold off on too much criticism there.

3) The characters know this is how infection works, yet the kid carries a baseball bat (blood splatter much?) and his dad shoots a zombie in the head from an inch away. For such careful people, their means of protecting themselves while attacking is pretty lame. Inconsistent characters do not a good show make.

4) LOVE TRIANGLE AHOY! - American TV can't resist this, it seems. Bah!

--

HOWEVER... I do actually like it. Just not as much as you guys seem to. So consider the above me just playing Devil's Advocate.

The thing I think gives this show the most potential is how they're seeming to push the fact that these zombies may actually still have a human side. The mother knowing where her son is, the legless zombie actually looking terrified and in pain, the main guy acknowledging this and putting it out of its misery. I REALLY hope they explore this more... making us feel some level of sympathy for the zombies... who, let's face it, are just victims trying to survive.

As things stand... I'm giving the pilot a fair 7/10... with potential to hit 9 if they take the show in the right directions.

--

PS: On the side-note about the BBC. Their recent Sherlock Holmes mini-series was the greatest thing on tv for a number of years, and Merlin is currently the most imaginative family show around. The Beeb kicks arse. They may not have the same funding as American tv channels, but they absolutely consider "Quality Over Quantity", and I love them for it.

And thank you to those who pointed out Dead Set has nothing to do with the BBC... I was ready to pounce! :lol:

Topic Author
Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#19 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:12 am

Carlcon, a few things you should know about The Walking Dead:

1 - The comic book has been running for 7 years and was only trumped by 28 days later by only a few months. Running Zombies is stupid - It makes sense with the Rage virus. The writer claims coincidence (smells fishy) about the hospital scene.

2 - It pays complete homage to the Romero Zombie genre and makes no efforts to disguise the fact (you need an open wound to get infected, bloods not a problem otherwise, even swallowed is safe).

When it was initially conceived the writer (who'd jumped from one idea to another) never expected this level of success. It was just another 'cool' idea. But as it took hold and looked like it could start paying the bills the story got deeper and much more unique.

The pilot is great (for me) because it is true to the initial first two episodes of the comic. The show has much more narrative and subtle plots strands that are not in the book but these are necessary as to explain what was only done visually in the book and are totally in keeping with the books overall feel.

Your review is probably spot on for someone who hasn't read the comics. And you state it'll go up to 9 if the potential is met. Well that's exactly where we were when reading the comic book. Kirkland (the writer) himself states that he needed the book to 'bite' with the traditional and familiar Zombie traits before feeling confident enough to really create his own world.

If the pilot continues on the path it has so far trod so well, I think we're all in for a fantastic Zombie ride.

As my missis put it, so eloquently:

"Well that was tons better than that new Resident Evil shite!".

Quite dear, quite.
"And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put
to death, and all the congregation shall stone him".

Leviticus 24: 16

carlcon
Average User

Post#20 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:24 pm

What about a drop of blood in the eye? Wont that turn someone? Again, I'm referencing 28 Days Later.

That's all fair enough though, I totally approached this as a "new show" only and haven't read the comic.

I've never been one for comic stuff, but when all the hype with Scott Pilgrim came about, I made that my first ever comic purchase over the summer. I think I might be doing the same with this.

Topic Author
Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#21 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:15 pm

carlcon
Average User

Post#22 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Apparently, the forum that has that link is above my pay-grade ("You are not authorised to read this forum."). I'll try find it somewhere else so I can take it with me when I go away.

Sovereign42
Insomniac

Post#23 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Despite the slightly unoriginal aspects, I really enjoyed the pilot. It was somewhat gripping, and edge-of-your-seat as far as the tension of the story goes and feels like its on its way to an interesting season.

Merlin is about the only show BBC's put out that I've actually enjoyed. But, its fantasy, so, I expected as much. Its the sci-fi and horror that they seldom seem to get right. Plus, Merlin has Anthony Head who's one of my favorite brit. actors. I don't recall if its BBC, but "Being Human" is another series that I just can't get into, much like Dr. Who.
[img:27pncvq7]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/3070/harleyi.png[/img:27pncvq7]
[color=#00FF00:27pncvq7][b:27pncvq7]Am I doin' it right, Mista J?[/b:27pncvq7][/color:27pncvq7]

Topic Author
Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#24 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Being Human is BBC. I think it's OK but not as good as some people let you think. They're doing a US version aren't they? It may well be better in terms of budget but I do like the English-ness of it to be honest. It'll be interesting to see what the yanks do with it.

Sovereign42
Insomniac

Post#25 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Projectgilda wrote:Being Human is BBC. I think it's OK but not as good as some people let you think. They're doing a US version aren't they? It may well be better in terms of budget but I do like the English-ness of it to be honest. It'll be interesting to see what the yanks do with it.

Well, as brit. to yank movies/shows have shown us in the past, its a toss up if it will be good or bad.
[img:27pncvq7]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/3070/harleyi.png[/img:27pncvq7]
[color=#00FF00:27pncvq7][b:27pncvq7]Am I doin' it right, Mista J?[/b:27pncvq7][/color:27pncvq7]

NinjaRefugee
meh

Post#26 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:24 pm

just watched the pre air for a second time. this is going to be a very interesting show, and i wonder how they are going to pull it off as a tv show, instead of the traditional zombie movie.

i went to the official site and watched the behind the scenes, and it looks like their production, directing and cast are 100% behind this and are expecting big things. i was also pleasantly surprised that frank darabout, who directed Shawshank redemption and green mile, and who also produced terminator and Aliens, is also directing the show.

im hopeful that this show will do well, even though there are a few technical flaws in the entire scenario you sorta have to take it with a grain of salt and give them the benefit of the doubt.

i don't want to give this anymore hype then it already has, but im predicting the next great unique tv show, up there with the likes of breaking bad, true blood, and Dexter.

here the official website if you guys want to see behind the scenes stuff
http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

Topic Author
Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#27 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Frank Darobont didn't produce Aliens and Terminator. Gale Anne Hurt did. She's the producer on the Walking Dead. So there ;) I don't think Darobont will direct many episodes. Martin Scorsesee only directed the pilot of Boardwalk Empire and I see this doing the same.

Abe
AbeZ Apostle

Post#28 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:15 pm

i love post apocalyptic worlds

i had a dream once where i was killing zombies with a samurai sword *best dream ever*

idk anything bout the comic, but i loved this pilot. set your tivo so this show gets ratings.
"Lets burn this mother down!"

* ALL SUPPORT REQUESTS VIA PM WILL BE IGNORED. INSTEAD, SEARCH THE FORUM, POST, OR START A NEW TOPIC.

Topic Author
Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#29 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:18 pm

(is that how ratings are gathered in the US?)

NinjaRefugee
meh

Post#30 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:54 pm

Projectgilda wrote:Frank Darobont didn't produce Aliens and Terminator. Gale Anne Hurt did. She's the producer on the Walking Dead. So there ;) I don't think Darobont will direct many episodes. Martin Scorsesee only directed the pilot of Boardwalk Empire and I see this doing the same.

aww really, thats kinda disappointing

Return to “Critics Corner”