Christmas day...ho hum....<yawn>..what?...DOCTOR WHO!!!

Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Forum rules
Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Topic Author
Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Christmas day...ho hum....<yawn>..what?...DOCTOR WHO!!!

Post#1 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:00 pm

I just finished watching the latest Doctor Who Christmas Special! I REALLY LIKE doctor who (esp. the new series), and I didn't realize how much i missed seeing it.

This latest is "A Christmas Carol"?? I thought if there was any way to ruin a doctor who episode that would be it - a christmas carol?? Probably owing to the fact that it bore very little resemblance to its name sake, it was actually good! It was a very doctor who take on an over-used idea, and I had great fun watching it.
Happy Merry Happy Merry Happy Christmas! :D
Ignorance and callousness are not virtues

A bleeding heart is a symbol of holiness, a symbol of compassion, not an epithet

When our discourse sinks to the level of meaningless, pejorative labels and personal name-calling rather than honest reflection and reasoned dialogue, we are no longer a people, but a mob

dalliance
Heart on for IceFlims

Re: Christmas day...ho hum....<yawn>..what?...DOCTOR WHO!!!

Post#2 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:39 am

I didnt really enjoy the latest Dr Who Christmas special , the idea was good but I just cannot get to like Matt Smith as the Doctor, there just seems to be something lacking in his portrayal. I guess for me he just isnt as good as David Tennant ,and DONT get me started on the new assistant Karen Gilliam !!!! .

By the sounds of it though the new series may be pretty good (even though the new showrunner Steven Moffat has decided to split the series into 2 parts and show them during the Spring and Autumn respectively) so I will wait and see if it gets any better !
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Topic Author
Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Post#3 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Oooh, I hate it when they split series up like that! As for the new doctor, well, it always takes me a while to get used to the new ones...but let's face it david tennent is a hard act to follow! I think this guy will be alright...

You don't like karen gilliam? I think she's VERY attractive, and fun, too (but that's just one man's opinion). Now, that one, I don't remember her name...the pushy one in the wedding dress, who saved the universe by becoming the doctor, she set my teeth on edge every time she spoke for at least half the season - then I guess I got used to her. :D

Well, here's to spring coming REALLY soon!

A bleeding heart is a symbol of holiness, a symbol of compassion, not an epithet

When our discourse sinks to the level of meaningless, pejorative labels and personal name-calling rather than honest reflection and reasoned dialogue, we are no longer a people, but a mob

dalliance
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#4 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Yeh I know what you mean by Catherine Tate, (Donna / Dr Donna ) I couldn't get over the fact that she was a comedienne with her own sketch show before (and during ) her turn as the Dr's assistant, although I let her off due to the fact that if she was in the show then there was a chance of Bernard Cribbins appearing (Wilf/Grandad). As I think the scene in David Tennants final act as the Dr, where it is revealed the only way the Dr can save Wilf is by sacrificing himself is one of the most moving scenes I have watched in recent British Television.

(Trivia fact for you here and this is gonna make me sound like a geek lol...Did you know that the actor Bernard Cribbins was also in "Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 AD" made in 1966 where he played one of the Doctors assistants to Peter Cushing's Doctor many years before he played Wilf ! )
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

jlwright2
meh

Post#5 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:05 pm

I absolutely LOVED it! :)

To me it seemed like a unique spin on the tale. You know, something only the Doctor could do.

I have no problem with Matt Smith. I mean, don't get me wrong, David Tennant was the best Doctor yet, but we all know Doctors come and go.
I find Matt to have a certain charm to him. Like a kind of goofiness that I really enjoy seeing. :)

Xerxys
Sex Robot

Post#6 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:29 am

OK you Who fanatics ... whats the difference between The documentary >>Dr. Who and the sci-fi show >>Dr. Who?

I am up to episode 6 of the first season of the show that is marked as Sci-Fi but like I mentioned elsewhere, I watched the pilots and was confused as fuck because the story line was all kinds of messed up. Before I continue I have to know who and what is where and how so I can share in your enthusiasm.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory. - Steven Wright.

Please rate the last movie you saw!!

dalliance
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#7 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:26 am

Xerxys , to clarify things a lil for you ,
In the UK the 2 shows you are talking about are shown on different BBC channels,the documentary is what usually follows the actual series "proper" directly after an episode is shown on the main BBC channel, as you have probably seen when you have watched an episode of the documentary it is a "making-of" behind the scenes type of show .

Besides this the problem I think you may have found is that the current (2005 and onwards) Dr Who series follows on from a series that started wayyyyyy back in the 1960's and ran until 1989 and the Christopher Eccleston 2005 series carries on from this Time Line.
I also think that the way that icefilms has the episodes listed may be more than a lil confusing to newcomers to the series as the 3 episodes titled "Series 0 2009" are one off "christmas " specials,that are out of broadcasting order, it has become part of christmas TV tradition here in the UK to always have at least one new "one off" episode of Dr Who shown , in a manner somewhat similar to "It's a Wonderful Life " being shown over in the US .

If it helps in anyway for you use this link --- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436992/episodes as a guide to what order to watch the episodes in as the "Series 0" eps do follow the arc of the whole story .

I hope this has clarified things somewhat for you , if you have any further questions please ask , I am in no-way a "Dr Who" nerd but in my defence I have been watching the series since I was a kid in the late 1970's (back when the sets wobbled and the special effects looked summat homemade lol ) .

Topic Author
Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Post#8 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 am

I am in no-way a "Dr Who" nerd

Hmmmmm...

Yeah...right!
:D

I am frankly amazed that Catherine Tate is a comedian and has her own show (although as I said, I did like her toward the end - I guess she does grow on people).

Yeah, the Wilf (WILF???, REALLY?? It wasn't Will?)/Grandad character was one of my favorites - a really nice dr who touch. They could have very easily left him out. It was such a small role for a recurring part, but he was US, and we all got to imagine our little adventures through, and because of, him, and feel just a bit more a part of the fantasy.

@Xerxys

I'd stay away from the pre-2005 series for a while, if I were you. They're an acquired taste for americans, I think (something in your brain needs to re-wire itself before you start to really like them - I kid you not! Well, okay, I do...sort of...but it's kinda' true). If you can suspend your inner parent, and repeat the mantra "If you do no harm and do everything with only the best of intentions, everything eventually works out for the best," as you watch, Doctor Who will become amazingly fun.

dalliance
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#9 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Nevermore....not defending myself here but ...

now SHE is the sole reason I watched Dr Who when I was young ( and when I say young I mean 10 yrs old..hell she stirred summat inside me and at that age I didnt have a clue what it was !! ), is it any wonder I was an avid watcher ! , and then when I hit my teens and puberty they gave the Doctor this assistant.......

I just wish they could get away with having assistants for the Doctor that dress like that now !!! :lol:

aurochs
Average User

Post#10 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:20 pm

I respectfully disagree. You don't need cgi for something to 'appeal to americans'. I'm american and I think Tom Baker is worth thirty tennants. but then again, we are all probably biased toward the first doctor we ever watched. Nevermore has a point though, because even if you wanted to start at the beginning, you couldnt! some of the oldest episodes were wiped from the archives long ago :(

Topic Author
Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Post#11 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:37 pm

I respectfully disagree. You don't need cgi for something to 'appeal to americans'. I'm american and I think Tom Baker is worth thirty tennants.

Hmm...You may be right...Like everything else, I'm just basing what I said on my own experience. As a fan of star trek, I found dr who to be amateurish in appearance, and laughably un-serious. It took me a while to "absorb" the gestalt of it. When I did, I found it highly addictive!

Baker, like all the doctors, was a character of his time (no pun intended), He, and his assistants, were very much, though a little on the quirky side, like everyone else, including the way they dressed (all the girls dressed hot like that in the seventies - as I recall). Watching him is a bit like stepping back in time for me, though I never watched him back then.

aurochs
Average User

Post#12 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:49 pm

I totally get what you mean, compared to star trek it does seem amateurish, but I think the writing and acting made up for the lack of advanced special effects. But part of how they tackle those problems are kind of what makes it great as well. They could just tape some green celophane over the camera, drag it around on the floor BOOM... alien pov shot. Star trek had its own cost cutting measures too. The whole teleporter concept was created (as far as I heard) because it was much cheaper than trying to shoot the enterprise landing and taking off every episode! I really respect this kindof ingenuity, especially in sci fi. (although it couldn't be further from my mind as a child i guess) I also think it is why we all loved the original star wars trilogy more than the prequel trilogy. sure, it had it's dose of cgi, but he also used popsicle sticks and stuff like that before, where today it would all be rendered by a computer. Plus they tried to shoehorn in every character they could think of which pissed me off. But still, I think if the prequel trilogy had come out independently and we had nothing to judge it against, I think we may not have complained so much :p

and kudos for the time joke :p i just loled

Summersethomes
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#13 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:42 pm

ok here is the list and I'll try to explain what I know about the Doctor

The Doctor Portrayed by Tenure
First Doctor William Hartnell 1963–1966[45]
Second Doctor Patrick Troughton 1966–1969[45]
Third Doctor Jon Pertwee 1970–1974[45]
Fourth Doctor Tom Baker 1974–1981[45]
Fifth Doctor Peter Davison 1981–1984[45]
Sixth Doctor Colin Baker 1984–1986
Seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy 1987–1989, 1996[46]
Eighth Doctor Paul McGann 1996
Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston 2005
Tenth Doctor David Tennant 2005–2010[7]
Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith 2010–[47]

they stopped filming the show after the seventh Doctor and there was a movie makde with the Eighth doctor that you will have to see which will bring you up to the ninth Doctor, tenth doctor and Eleventh doctor

hope this helps :) I was confused too until I found the list and watched the Movie *the doctor actually kissed his leading lady, he'd never done that before and hasn't done it since*

Return to “Critics Corner”