Review: Stargate Universe

Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Forum rules
Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Topic Author
Wineinger
Heart on for IceFlims

Review: Stargate Universe

Post#1 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:00 am

Just got done watching the new launch for the series, and right off
the bat its got a way different feel about it. I still go with what I
said before that SG1 and SGA are a way better in every aspect but
I was presently intrigued by SGU (Stargate Universe) I spect its
mainly for I wanna see the rest of the ship their on and more of where
its intended target is. So I'll continue to watch it and see where it goes.

Shalmainia
Overachiever

Re: Reveiw: Stargate Universe

Post#2 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Wineinger wrote:Just got done watching the new launch for the series, and right off
the bat its got a way different feel about it. I still go with what I
said before that SG1 and SGA are a way better in every aspect but
I was presently intrigued by SGU (Stargate Universe) I suspect its
mainly for I wanna see the rest of the ship their on and more of where
its intended target is. So I'll continue to watch it and see where it goes.

I really enjoyed watching Stargate Universe but I know it's going to take me a little bit of time to get to know the new characters.
Since the conception of Stargate Atlantis, it's really starting to become a habit for the writers to appeal to a younger audience who would rather have every plot twist right in-front of them, which is really annoying to people like myself who enjoy a bit of intellectual masturbation. I think it's a great thing that they have such a blank canvas, I just hope they make good use of it. Oh and the mini-cliffhanger at the end of the episode could have been alot more dramatic, especially considering it's the first episode. My one concern is that they didn't apply many hooks throughout the episode, which for a first episode, could be potentially dangerous for them.
Donate to IceFilms today!

Signature by TMRKD

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no soverignty where we gather." A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, John Perry Barlow

Topic Author
Wineinger
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#3 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:32 pm

Very true... the ep did end very unexpectedly.

froggy
Overachiever

Post#4 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:30 am

Hmm, I'll give it a look :geek:

macxtc
Out of work journalist

Post#5 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:51 am

I love my syfy but, I just can't get into any of the Stargates.... they just don't do anything for me... and I've tried watching
a dozen or so episodes... some how it just feels "cookie-cutter" science fiction to me.

Bollo
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#6 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:01 pm

Having watched the double opener I'm worried that it's gonna try to be more like Battlestar Galactica. Don't get me wrong, BG was fantastic, but that whole"stuck on a ship,trying to find our way home" thing has already been done to death....

flipside87
no0b

Post#7 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:29 am

Peersonally i preferred the new stargate universe. I always found sg1 and atlantis too niche for the wider public. The acting in general was better than the other shows. Recomend it for people that were'nt fans of the origanal shows.

Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#8 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:29 am

I'm with Mac on this one. I've tried and tried and it looks like i'll have to try again. Let's hope this time it'll be worth it. Last chance saloon for SG.

Frankly all the episode i've seen so far have been lacking a budget, good writing and acting skills. It's a lot to fix.
"And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put
to death, and all the congregation shall stone him".

Leviticus 24: 16

Topic Author
Wineinger
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#9 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:08 pm

To each is own. I like the Stargate series and I also like the Harry Potter
series its just suits me. That being said not every one is going to like what
one may boast about. Another great exp music preference.

macxtc
Out of work journalist

Post#10 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:20 pm

I also remember when the SyFy channel used to be cool..... now what in the Fu#k is wrestling doing on there?
(except for being fiction)
(I also remember when MTV (MUSIC television) actually played music)

and those crappy-ass ghost hunting shows..... geez give me a break... are they trying to keep me away?

and thanks Projectgilda, I'm not the only one with a taste for GOOD Science Fiction. ( which has been missing from SyFy for a while)

LeftHandedGuitarist
Average User

Post#11 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:06 am

I quite enjoyed. It had a very different feel to the other shows, both in presentation and narrative style. It was quite interesting that they made some of the main characters unlikeable on first impression.

I was particularly impressed with the music and the effects work, truly stunning. I will keep watching with interest, Stargate has a track record of taking the plots in unexpected directions so let's see what happens here.

Projectgilda
AbeZ Apostle

Post#12 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:10 am

I concur with EVERYTHING Mac has just said. The last decent thing on Sci-Fi was BSG. Maybe i'm getting old but lots of channels out there need a kick up the arse and to remember their roots. Since when was Kanye West commenting on a bad video (and politley!) scandal. Give me Jarvis Cocker getting up on stage showing his arse and telling MJ to [email protected]*K OFF! That's what i want from a Rock Star.

And why do i want to look at their houses? It just makes want to not pay for their music more!!!

*rant* *moan* etc...
"And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put
to death, and all the congregation shall stone him".

Leviticus 24: 16

macxtc
Out of work journalist

Post#13 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:50 pm

Projectgilda wrote:
And why do i want to look at their houses? It just makes want to not pay for their music more!!!

*rant* *moan* etc...

You said a mouth full on my behalf again... who cares how rich you are?!!! but, I don't have any Music Star's I want to keep up with...

(not since the 80's anyway)

Shalmainia
Overachiever

Post#14 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:03 pm

Okay I really wasn't happy with episode three... Okay I get it, these people are in dire need and aren't really feeling too comical but even with SG1 and Atlantis someone always tried to inject a little humour into the situation like O'Niel and
spending an entire episode looking at bloody sand is not my idea of interesting.

I hope the writers pulled their finger our while writing episode four.
Donate to IceFilms today!

Signature by TMRKD

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no soverignty where we gather." A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, John Perry Barlow

Topic Author
Wineinger
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#15 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:21 pm

Amen to that... I figured that the swirly thing was "something" If this don't
pick up soon I bet SyFy will pull the plug... and as stated their was no attempt
at hummer just sand lots and lots of sand... The next ep is called Darkness so
we'll see what that has in store, I don't have high hopes for this series.

Return to “Critics Corner”