Review: Stargate Universe

Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Forum rules
Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Shalmainia
Overachiever

Re: Reveiw: Stargate Universe

Post#31 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:56 pm

Fleshy wrote:
Bollo wrote:Yeah, no problem. You don't need to have seen the others to understand the new series.
A group of people are trapped on a ship thats going somewhere, but they don't know where.
Thats about it........

Thanks. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Think Startrek: Voyager - Except with no decent graphics, storyline, actors or humour.
Donate to IceFilms today!

Signature by TMRKD

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no soverignty where we gather." A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, John Perry Barlow

macxtc
Out of work journalist

Post#32 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:45 pm

Shalmainia wrote:
Fleshy wrote:
Bollo wrote:Yeah, no problem. You don't need to have seen the others to understand the new series.
A group of people are trapped on a ship thats going somewhere, but they don't know where.
Thats about it........

Thanks. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Think Startrek: Voyager - Except with no decent graphics, storyline, actors or humour.

and from the way you tell it,...... no ME!

sounds like SyFy channel to milk a dieing cow..

think I'll be absent.

AkuaRising
Average User

Post#33 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:08 am

I'm new to the forums so hope no one kills me, but I hate this series. Its boring. I've been a fan of Stargate since the movie and then the original series on Showtime. This series is just so dry. I keep waiting and watching for some action but there isn't any.

jarlaxle
meh

Post#34 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:44 pm

I was intrigued enough to give it a go. Waiting to see the next episodes before giving up, I have to admit I was a huge SG-1 fan, hated Atlantis, couldn't watch it. As for BSG, couldn't get into that either, sorry(putting on my helmet)

I mean, it(BSG) was all dark and who cares who is a Cylon anyways. Liked the campy BSG from the '70s better.

But this SG-U reviews, so I'll say I'm intrigued, different feel, but I'm not yet hooked, and I see promise, but there sure was a lot to raise doubts in my mind

Bollo
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#35 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:35 pm

Image How can you not like a series that features these loverrrlllyyy ladies! .... I mean, (cough), ahem... a very talented group of actresses.......

Shalmainia
Overachiever

Post#36 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Bollo wrote:How can you not like a series that features these loverrrlllyyy ladies! .... I mean, (cough), ahem... a very talented group of actresses.......

They're not exactly my idea of eye-candy :P

Signature by TMRKD

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no soverignty where we gather." A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, John Perry Barlow

Fleshy
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#37 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:07 pm

Bollo wrote:Image How can you not like a series that features these loverrrlllyyy ladies! .... I mean, (cough), ahem... a very talented group of actresses.......

Tricia Helfer mmm mmm She got some nice scenes in BSG: The Plan. :D

mistressofprose
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#38 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:00 pm

If Katee Sackhoof was in that picture giving some great side boob action, it would be perfect. She is HOT!

Oh wait! Here she is:
YOU HAVE JUST BEEN BITCH SLAPPED BY THE...

Bollo
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#39 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:19 pm

Tricia Helfer mmm mmm She got some nice scenes in BSG: The Plan.

Oh, "scenes". Is that what you call them round your way.................. :lol:

Fleshy
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#40 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Bollo wrote:
Tricia Helfer mmm mmm She got some nice scenes in BSG: The Plan.

Oh, "scenes". Is that what you call them round your way.................. :lol:

What should they be called?

Bollo
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#41 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:25 pm

ah, um,.... never mind. My sense of humour obviously doesn't travel well.

Then again, judging from you avatar, I'm surprised you didn't get my meaning !!(ahem...cough)

blueboomerang
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#42 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:09 pm

I'm glad someone brought this up--don't have many in my crowd to talk Sci-fi with. I liked SG1, SGA, each show had it's own character, it's own flaws, but most of the time, each was fairly likeable. Both had a lot of untapped potential that was waylaid by some weird, convoluted story lines (some of which were caused by off show politics and the typical brainless thinking of executives that cancel shows like Firefly...) Stargate Universe is a different type of show, more like BSG, or Heroes, or Lost, where you have to watch every episode in order to know WTF is going on.

I really want to like SGU, because there is a void in good sci-fi out there--what with Torchwood being killed off, and Dr. Who on a perpetual leave of absence. (I don't count wrestling and/or vampire shows in the Sci-Fi category--no wait, that's the new and improved Sy-Fy.) I really want SGU to be successful with intriguing characters that you get involved with, identify with, hate, love, forgive, and are willing to tolerate the leap of implausibility that some of the story lines ask of the viewers. Robert Carlyle should be awesome --but it obviously isn't written into his character--so far, he is just a pretty shallow, self-absorbed, meaninglessly hostile character--not contributing much but scowls and criticism. You can have a brooding dark character, but there has to be some meaning behind that grouchiness, or the guy is just a PITA.

Parts of this story line so far are pretty far-fetched--without the character development and program loyalty that allows audiences to accept these grand leaps: for example--in the first episode, everyone is transported through the stargate into a chaotic, unknown ship, and the head scientist and military dude had the foresight to bring along a miraculous, magical transportation device that was never disclosed on any previous SG episodes, that has the capability of transporting one person's consciousness into another person's body across millions and millions of light years (it is a body/consciousness trade really) back to earth. Amazing! and what do these guys do when they "trade" and go back to earth? Not talk with SG Command about how to solve their problems--no, they waste time and valuable ship/energy resources driving around in cars, saying hello and good-bye to people and eating pizza or whatever.

They could have built a whole, gripping, entertaining episode on the just the acquisition of that magical body trade device--but the producers wasted it, in order to rush into the crisis of the story that nobody cares about, with character nobody cares about--it's just bad writing and bad planning. The characters are pretty one dimensional and cliche'--the poor girl whose egocentric senator father valiantly gave up his life to plug the "hole in the shuttle area" (which are supposed to be able to sustain holes). Lou Diamond Philips is a military man with his head stuck up his hole on protocol and authority--not a good leader. The crazy-scary black military guy with a HUGE chip on his shoulder, but whose character gives you nothing to sympathize with (they should have learned their lesson when that didn't work with Rainbow Sun Francks in SGA!) The other military dudes are okay, but are not with memorable characters or acting to keep the audience engaged. Then there are some beautiful women, military & political ambassadors and such, who are just hysterical or bitchy or real whiny--so they haven't captured the audience. Then there have been some needless, campy "sexy scenes" that just don't contribute in any important way to the plot. I don't have a problem with sexy scenes, but they need to create something for the story, not just be eye candy for the trailers. A show of this type needs some quirkiness, some funny to release the tension, and to provide hope. So far, that has only come across in the character Eli Wallace, and he cracks me up, but the writers are limiting his potential, and he's not enough to carry the implausibility of the story so far. At the end of an episode, you want to care that somebody stays alive--but at the end of 4 episodes, I could give a crap (except for Eli), & tend to think they are a boring, uninteresting bunch of crabby people, might as well let them crash.

I have faith in the SG franchise, and I really hope they get their shit together, and get some focus, some credibility to the story lines and characters. But they better do it fast, because they've bungled it so far. It is a pity, because it had the potential to really be good.

I hope they swing it. I want some good Sci-fi. So far, the reviews have been lackluster, as the show deserves. I find it comical that people are describing the show as way to0 dark--I think it is just a euphemism for being just plain bad.

jeez, I can't believe I wrote this much...I've been sick for a few weeks with H1N1 & complications...looks like I need to get a life!

jarlaxle
meh

Post#43 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:49 am

Was that communication device not the same one from the episode of SG-1 where Jack and the Barber shared memories and the same device used to contact the Ori universe?

Shalmainia
Overachiever

Post#44 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:09 pm

I actually liked episode 5, it's still a little boring but it did have alot more emotion in the episode, the characters still aren't gelling well but thankfully, the special effects were better, so it almost made up for that. I still can't say I'm still overly fond of the hand-held camera, it kinda makes me think aliens are spying on them all and taking down all the footage. lol

I'm going to up my "Not watching if episode 5 sucks" to episode 10.

Signature by TMRKD

macxtc
Out of work journalist

Post#45 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:17 pm

watched some last night.... it was over when I woke up.... SG-universe is a dud to me.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Return to “Critics Corner”