Alpha's

Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Forum rules
Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Topic Author
Godric
Heart on for IceFlims

Alpha's

Post#1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:14 am

Anyone watched the pilot yet? I've just started downloading it. Sounds a lot like Heroes but with more villains :lol:

EDIT: It turns out that it is nothing like heroes haha, it's about a group of super-powered people working for an agency where they look into crimes that might have been performed by super-powered people basically. They have powers like super strength, mind alteration, increased senses, increased motor skills. It's not going to be most viewed tv show ever but its still pretty decent.

bro339
Overachiever

Re: Alpha's

Post#2 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:07 pm

in short...should be smtg like fringe just that its not due to some freak science!!! :P

Topic Author
Godric
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#3 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Yeah ;) All the powers come with downsides as well like the guy with super strength looks like he's just been swimming after using his powers from sweating, that and he can only do it for five minutes before looking like he's going to die. :lol:

fatgirlstryhard
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#4 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:39 pm

decent start, has potential but they gotta kick it up a notch in writing and acting.
common, the ghost guy sticks a knife in superstrength dude, then after the chase for the second guy he helps him get up from the floor? - meh, only a fleshwound, i forgive you, let's hug it out.

Russtronic™
Jeddak

Post#5 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:33 am

Your right Fatty I'd say Meh.

Topic Author
Godric
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#6 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 am

Because they thought he was just the bellboy and they thought the ghost guy was the one running, they knew the ghost guy can make people do what he wants and when the "bellboy" was getting up he said he couldn't remember what happened.

blueboomerang
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#7 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:19 pm

It reminds of "Mutant X".

Even the doctor guy reminds me of Adam Kane, the way he talks and interacts with the characters. I think the angry, testosterone character needs some work--he's inexplicably grouchy, seems to sweat a lot, and his super human strength was not an advantage in the first story, except for when he moved the car--I hope they fix him and make him more credible.

I think this is a show that could have used a 2 hour pilot in order to better flesh out & develop the characters, give us some background so we could care more. Character development needs to be balanced with action scenes if you are going to capture an audience for the long run.

But I am desperate for good SciFi, so I will be hopeful and watch it. However, the SyFy channel, and much of American television the past few years, is mostly just a frustrating viewing experience; there is such bad writing and such an erratic schedule for so many new programs, why bother watching at all until you know if a program will return next year. (Then when they get some really good shows, like "Terriers", which was simply awesome, or "The Good Guys", which was very campy but hysterical--they cancel them. They bump around the schedule every week, no one knows when a program will be on, and then cancel for low ratings. Really, it is ridiculous to go to all of the trouble to produce a show and cancel it after 1 or 2 episodes, as has happened 4-5 times this year--what a waste!) ...my own private OT rant there...

ladyjess
Average User

Post#8 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:15 am

I watched the pilot and while the story has potential i would have liked to have seen a longer pilot maybe doing some sort of back story. how did they all meet, How did they get started in this secret unit. or even a little more explanation on who "red flag" is.

Nevermore669
Obsessively Addicted

Post#9 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Yeah, I wasn't really impressed, either. There's definitely some potential there, but they really are going to have to step-up the writing.
Ignorance and callousness are not virtues

A bleeding heart is a symbol of holiness, a symbol of compassion, not an epithet

When our discourse sinks to the level of meaningless, pejorative labels and personal name-calling rather than honest reflection and reasoned dialogue, we are no longer a people, but a mob

Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#10 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:50 am

I liked it. It definitely had a Heroes/Fringe vibe to it. And I'm glad they included a Rainman on the team (he made me crack up a few times), but they probably could have done without the "I'm an excellent driver" bit. Pretty cliché.

All in all, not bad.

Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#11 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:22 am

Tonight's episode was the best yet. This show's really starting to grow on me.

And I'm particulary glad that asshole homeland security guy got his brains beat in. I've never liked him since he played that creepshit on Battlestar Galactica.

Starfox
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#12 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:18 pm

That's hilarious Kenny I was thinking the same thing about that guy from the start.

Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#13 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Yep, they are definitely doing things right on this show.

Starfox
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#14 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:47 pm

It's getting good ratings to. I helps that it has 2 of Syfys most popular show right before it it
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/07/syfy-summer-ratings-week-2/

lets see if it keeps it up this week.

Topic Author
Godric
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#15 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Nice, I hope it gets a good run before ending. That Hicks guy's power is the best I think
A human with me at the end and human tears. Two-thousand years... and I can still be surprised. In this I see God.

Return to “Critics Corner”