Rebooted TV Series... What would you like see?

Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Forum rules
Talk about TV shows and Movies and such. No requests.

Topic Author
gspat
Oh my Santa!

Rebooted TV Series... What would you like see?

Post#1 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Since filming is underway on the new Primeval series in Canada, and I'm anxiously awaiting for it to air, I thought I'd pose a question for all of you...

What TV series would you like to see rebooted, that hasn't already been rebooted?

My choice would be "The Starlost" from 1973. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069638/

They screwed the pooch on it back then, but the premise was awesome!

Just before a major disaster took place in the earth's solar system, humans built the earth ship ark, with 400+ bio-domes to preserve earth's diverse ecologies and cultures. 3 Million people were selected and loaded onto the ark.

100 years after leaving the solar system, a major accident occurs. The accident killed the crew and left the biodomes sealed. The ship is headed on a collision course with a distant star, with no-one to change course.

400 years later 3 people leave the biodome they were born in and start to explore the ship. Can they save the ark?

Could be an awesome show if done right, or absolutely horrible if done wrong!
Now I've got a link... What the hell do I do with it?

Considering helping us find links? Please read this!

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Re: Rebooted TV Series... What would you like see?

Post#2 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:39 pm

The greatest American hero.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081871/

The droll Stephen J. Cannell-produced superhero parody Greatest American Hero began its two-year network run with this two-hour pilot film on March 18, 1981. William Katt stars as Ralph Hinkley, a mild-mannered schoolteacher who happens to be in the proximity of an alien spaceship landing. Also witnessing the event is G-man Bill Maxwell, played by Robert Culp. The aliens entrust Hinkley with a magic flying suit, instructing him to use this wonderful garment as a means of fighting evil. Alas, Hinkley loses the user's manual for the suit almost immediately, which puts a crimp in Maxwell's plans to thwart an assassination. Connie Sellecca co-stars as Ralph's lady friend Pamela Davidson. Katt, Culp and Selleca were all retained for the Greatest American Hero series proper, though Katt's character name was changed to "Hanley" after John Hinckley's assassination attempt on President Reagan.
The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#3 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Loved that show. Too bad nothing ever came of this....

Reboot

In 2009, Nathan Fillion stated in an interview with MTV news that he would be interested in rebooting the series with him as the lead role.

“ I just finished watching the DVD collection of it and thought it had some really great direction and I think it kind of slipped and slid around a little bit, they changed the main character's name a couple times ... It seemed to be suffering from the same kind of mistreatment that 'Firefly' suffered from—episodes being shown out of order, never for more than two weeks consecutively, [and] being preempted for different things.
It's too bad they just didn't just let it continue in this very strong direction and just let it become its own thing and let it grow and let it be incredibly strong, What better way to pay homage to something I enjoyed as a younger man than to do it again.

megcak555
Overachiever

Post#4 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:00 pm

I think I'd enjoy an updated modern 21 Jump Street http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092312/

Though I watched the theatrical release starring Jonah Hill, which did nothing to the credit of the 80's tv series, I did however find it somewhat bearable and even chuckled occasionally.

I believe that they (Fox network albeit they no longer own the rights to the show) could produce a "reboot" of that show and it possibly could be a hit...I'd be interested in checking it out.

theBGB
meh

Post#5 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:27 pm

They should reboot Reboot.

REBOOT!!!

mr_wrong_0
no0b

Post#6 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Quantum Leap.

It would need an amazing cast and writers to pull it off:
suggestions?
______ as Sam
______ as Al

I'd love to see Scott Bakula do some kind of cameo.

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#7 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Colin Farrel as Sam?
I may not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it
Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it

Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#8 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:37 pm

I could see Aaron Eckhart as Sam....

And Billy Cystal as Al....

Repdaddy
Relentlessly Obsessed

Post#9 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:43 pm

@ Aaron Eckhart..... good one. A more roughed up by age and worn down by responsibility face would be better for Al. Maybe Indiana Jones or an elderly Sutherland?

Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#10 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:20 pm

I was thinking of someone who could pull off both the dramatic and comedic aspects of Al. Harrison Ford and Donald Sutherland would be good picks, but I think Sutherland might be too old to play a believable womanizer now. And Ford still seems to have too much presence as a leading man to play a supporting role to Eckhart. Tbh, Billy Crystal would be pushing it at 64, if it weren't for the fact that he doesn't look his age. Here he is in his latest movie....

I could just see him in one of those "futuristic" outfits, trying to talk to Ziggy....

mr_wrong_0
no0b

Post#11 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:06 pm

True he is getting older (Crystal) but that's ok. There's no reason Al can't be older either. Honestly it would be more believable for him to have been an Admiral in the AF. As for his womanizing Dean Stockwell pulled it off so well. Ted Danson might be a good fit too, but unlike Crystal he does look his age now lol.

I'm not fully sold on Eckhart but I can't think of anyone better right now.

Kenny_Tha_Killa
GOD

Post#12 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Truthfully, what I'd like to see is a Sci-Fi channel made for tv movie, reuniting Bakula and Stockwell for the final leap home. It would be interesting to see Sam and Al, all these years later, time/world weary after who knows how many leaps. I just don't think I would enjoy it as much with anyone else in the roles, and they could give the fans of the series the proper ending the show deserved.

But, it doesn't look like that will ever happen, since Donald Bellisario is currently developing a script for a feature film. Like it or not, it seems a new Sam and Al are on the horizon.

Return to “Critics Corner”