step 2- install VLC
step 3- start the download you want
step 4- locate that file on your computer as it is downloading
step 5- open the incomplete file in VLC
step 6- make sure to click Do Not Repair
step 7- enjoy

LONG VERSION
Introduction:

Some people have problems, for various reasons, streaming videos here on IceFilms. Installing VLC is an easy way around the complexities of configuration and interaction that exist on problem machines. Since VLC comes with its own set of codecs - separate from the rest of the system, it doesn't fall prey to the same issues you may be having with the divx web player, or your browser. It's a little more "hands-on" than the icefilms embedded player, but after a little use it becomes second nature.

NOTE: You should NOT install the VLC browser plug-in.

This tutorial (adapted from a forum post) is aimed at Windows users, but should be applicable to both Mac and Linux users, too. (I know zip about Macs, but I will try to include a little more info. for Linux)

Using VLC

Please keep in mind, though, that as far as the divx web player and windows is concerned, I may have to fudge a bit here and there with my descriptions of things, since it's been a while since I've used either [linux user here]). But I watch everything in VLC. It's really easy, once you get familiar with it.

Okay, now the thing with using a standalone player, like VLC, is, you don't have to completely download something to watch it. When you stream a video using the IceFilms embedded player, it goes to your hard drive, into a file called a cache, and it is played in the embedded player from that cache file. The cache file is usually a temporary file, and is intended to disappear when the source window is closed (ie. the stream is disconnected) The purpose of the cache file is to keep the video playing smoothly if there are fluctuations in your bandwidth.

When you use a stand alone player to play the cache file, you are essentially substituting the stand alone player for the embedded one (an embedded player is a player that is EMBEDDED into a web page [not separate]). The embedded player is paused - so they're not both playing at once.

So, first thing, you need to locate your divx cache. You can find it by right clicking in the embedded IceFilms (divx web player) player's screen, and selecting, I think, preferences. Look for an entry that says Download Cache. Click on that and you will see a number of settings related to the divx cache. Look for a button at the bottom that says Open Download Cache. Click on that and the divx cache will open in a file manager window. I recommend that you create a shortcut to that cache on your desktop so you can find it again if you want to (right click inside an empty part of the file manager window [don't select a specific file in there] and select "send to desktop (as short-cut)").

[Linux users may not have this option. You will be using either totem or mplayer (I'm using mplayer), or gnome-mplayer, and I know it's not there in mplayer. The cache file is located in /tmp on my kubuntu machine, for totem, and mplayer - it will likely be in a similar spot on your distro. The cache file for gnome-mplayer is located in /Home/.cache/gnome-mplayer/plug-in (you'll need to enable hidden files to access it). I have a sidebar shortcut in my file manager to my tmp folder to make it easier to see what's there.]

Okay, now that you've done that, go ahead and select something to watch. Start it in the normal manner by clicking on the link and pressing play in the IceFilms embedded player. Once it's started streaming, it's time to open it in VLC. First, pause it in the embedded player. Now there are two ways you can open the cache in VLC, and I'm going to explain them both.

The first way is to go to the cache folder, and find the file name of the video you are streaming. You will see two files of the same name, but with different file extensions. One will end in .avi, and the other will end in .part (for partial). If you watch the file sizes, you will see that the .avi file remains at 0 bytes, while the .part file grows larger with the passage of time (there are always two files, as I've explained, when downloading a video, but there may only be a .part file when you're streaming [ie., just playing without saving]). So, it's the .part file that is the actual cache file, and that is the one you want to open. Right click on it and select open with...VLC. If VLC is not listed (and it won't be at first), you'll have to click 'find program' (or some such thing), and select it. Your vid will open in VLC. Double click to go full screen.

[ When streaming with Linux there is no .part file (there is when you're downloading though). If you open your /tmp folder, or your gnome-mplayer cache in your file manager you'll see a file like this mplayabcDE, or totemfghIJ, or geckomediaplayertokl. This is the cache file.]

The second method involves using VLC's menu system to open the video. To do this you need to know the location of your divx cache so you can navigate there. It's pretty straightforward except for this: you get to choose what kinds of files you want to see. Since the default is to see only media types, unless you change the file types [ie., .mp3, .divx, .avi, .mp4, etc.] you will not even see your file in the directory. So click "media", and either "open file..." or "advanced open file..." (I prefer advanced open because once you choose the file type VLC remembers it, so you don't have to change it every time) and below the directory window, look for a label that says "filter:" or "files of type:". There's a drop-down there that will allow you to choose various media types for VLC to recognize. You need to select "ALL FILES".

Now when you look in the cache folder with VLC, you will be able to see the .part file. Select it and look all the way down at the bottom of the window, you'll see a "play" button push it.

What happens next will happen with either of the two methods for playing your divx cache. Because you're streaming, ie., the file is loading - incomplete - VLC will see it as broken and ask you if you want to fix it. YOU MUST ANSWER NO to this question, otherwise the file will not continue to stream. Once you've clicked "no", the video will open-up and begin playing.

That should do it. You now have not only the how, but the why as well...

Downloading vs. Streaming

In one sense there is no difference between downloading and streaming. In both cases the video is written to your hard drive. The main difference lies in the fact, as I've already mentioned, that the cache file used in streaming is usually a temporary file. If you close the window it's streaming from, it's gone (usually). There is another issue too. Your cache file can be adjusted to hold less, or more, of the video. Your cache will fill until it is full, and if you have not played that section of the video through, it will simply stop there until you do (played through the embedded player, not VLC - remember, the embedded player is paused). For this reason, you should go into your embedded divx player's settings (right click, preferences, download cache) and decide how big you want your cache to get (MAKE SURE "DOWNLOAD CACHE", or possibly, "USE DOWNLOAD CACHE", IS SELECTED). Depending on which settings you choose, you could keep filling until your entire hard drive is full, or not have enough room to even hold an entire video.. I chose to limit my cache to 10GB - plenty of room for anything I might play.

Linux users using gecko/gnome mplayer plugin have a couple additional concerns. This player (as of now) does not have an option to cache an entire video. The cache is for buffering purposes while streaming, only. By default the gnome-mplayer is set to begin playing when 2% of the buffer is full. If you set the buffer too high, you'll be waiting forever before it starts to play. I recommend a setting of approx. 2000KB.

There are two cache settings, both exactly the same, in the gnome-mplayer settings. One is under the mplayer tab, and the other is under the plug-in tab. Enable ONLY the cache settings in the PLUG-IN tab (setting both can result in unspecified problems).

Unfortunately, with these settings the cache will fill to 2MB and stop. If you want to cache an entire video you have to place a file named mplayerplug-in.conf in your /Home/.mplayer directory with the auto-generated, default config file. If you edit the default config directly, the next time you open preferences in the player the file will be written over and all your special settings will be gone. Here is my old mplayerplug-in.conf file (I'm really kind of surprised this works). Just copy it into a text editor and save it as mplayerplug-in.conf in /Home/.mplayer. Now your player should load the entire file into the cache. You can watch it at your leisure in your browser (but you can't seek even when it's all on disk), or play it in vlc and have total control.

Code:Linkcheck
#This is mplayerplug-in.conf from a working mplayer plugin.
#Apparently it still works for gnome-mplayer plugin. It
#should go in /Home/.mplayer with the default "config" file.
#vo=x11
#ao=alsa
cachesize=2000
cache-percent=100
#dload-dir=
showtime=1
enable-wmp=1
enable-qt=1
enable-rm=1
enable-gmp=1
enable-dvx=1
enable-mpeg=1
enable-mp3=1
enable-ogg=1
enable-midi=0
enable-pls=1
enable-smil=1
enable-helix=1
nomediacache=0
nopauseonhide=0
rtsp-use-tcp=0
rtsp-use-http=0

If you choose to download instead of stream through the embedded player, you will find your file in whatever folder you've selected in your browser to download to. Remember it will be in two parts, and you want to open the .part file in VLC. When you download, the video will remain on your hard drive until you delete it. Though I've been told it doesn't matter, I have an irrational fear that if I download rather than stream, Mega Upload will take notice of my usage and cut me off sooner - so I choose to stream. You can decide for yourself...

Get VLC
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

A bleeding heart is a symbol of holiness, a symbol of compassion, not an epithet

When our discourse sinks to the level of meaningless, pejorative labels and personal name-calling rather than honest reflection and reasoned dialogue, we are no longer a people, but a mob

Last edited by Abe on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
added short version

Post subject: Re: Tutorial: How To Stream With VLC Player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:39 pm 
Average User

great tutorial :D
just wanted to say that this works in pretty much the exact same way on a mac. you follow the same basic steps but some actions and buttons might be called differently. only difference i noticed was the two files in the cache have the extensions .avi.part and .avi[1].part and it is the .avi[1].part file you should choose to play (if you check you can see that this file is becoming larger as the as you stream whilst the .avi.part is staying at about 4kb)
VLC will tell you that the file is broken and you HAVE TO choose DONT REPAIR for it to work.
those were the differences i found :)

hope that helped the mac users out there who might have been confused :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:02 pm 
Insomniac

Stream Directly from Megaupload to VLC Player

Example Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZQF5KR2V

1) Open the Megaupload link in a new tab, right-click the "Download" button and select "Copy Link Location".

ImageImage

You should get a long link like this:
http://www920.megaupload.com/files/c8ab76607e47d5275da7cda0a5252cdc/The.Daily.Show.avi

2) Open VLC player, right-click and select "Open Media" -> "Open Network...". Paste the long link into the address field.

3) Press the "Play" button at the bottom of the "Open Media" box. Your video will now start to stream. Enjoy!

Troubleshooting:

- If own Megaupload Premium account, make sure to disable "Direct Downloads" from your Accounts Page
- Right-click VLC player and go to "Interface" -> "Preferences". Select Show ALL settings (bottom left). Expand the "Input/Codecs" tree, then expand "Acess Modules", and click "HTTP(S). Check the "Auto re-connect" to enable it. If you have slow connection speeds you may need to increase the "Caching Value in MS" up from 1200, 1000ms=1sec.

Any further questions feel free to send me a PM.

- IFFTeam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:17 am 
Obsessively Addicted

Hey, that addition is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!

Very nice!
:D

A bleeding heart is a symbol of holiness, a symbol of compassion, not an epithet

When our discourse sinks to the level of meaningless, pejorative labels and personal name-calling rather than honest reflection and reasoned dialogue, we are no longer a people, but a mob

Post subject: HOWTO: Using VLC to stream icefilms
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:35 pm 
no0b

Since I really really REALLY hate the divx player, simply for the fact you can't jump forward (notice, in linux, the streaming player used, specifically found in ubuntu, let's you do that!). Anyways here is how you can use VLC to stream your stuff, plus you don't need greasemonkey at all!

Go and download VLC, install
Go and download PlayLink plugin, install
Done.

In firefox you can setup the options so this will work in other browsers too, basically this is how you use it.
Find a video you want to watch, you'll get to the part that says 'you don't have IQS installed', but there is the link below to the megaupload link. Click on it, now if you don't have a prem. account there, wait the 45s, then right click on the download button, you will see a 'PlayLink' option, and you will see whatever players you configured. Select the one you want to stream from and voila! You can skip ahead too!

Post subject: Re: HOWTO: Using VLC to stream icefilms
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:00 pm 
On Probation

this is the wrong section to post this..there is a TUTORIAL section right below this section in the forums..and bdw, your tutorial is not comprehensive..there is already one very good tutorial on using VLC to stream in the tutorial section..good day.. :)

Post subject: Re: HOWTO: Using VLC to stream icefilms
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:31 am 
Obsessively Addicted

Hi 102020,

Welcome to the forums!

The PlayLink firefox extension seems like a nice little extension. Unfortunately it only works on windows right now. Definitely seems less hassle than the current methods in the tutorial here.

There is another somewhat similar firefox extension called VLC Context Menu. It "Add(s) URLs of audio and video files to VLCs playlist via context menu of your browser" that works in linux and mac, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:20 pm 
no0b

[/quote]So, first thing, you need to locate your divx cache. You can find it by right clicking in the embedded IceFilms (divx web player) player's screen, and selecting, I think, preferences. Look for an entry that says Download Cache. Click on that and you will see a number of settings related to the divx cache. Look for a button at the bottom that says Open Download Cache. Click on that and the divx cache will open in a file manager window. I recommend that you create a shortcut to that cache on your desktop so you can find it again if you want to (right click inside an empty part of the file manager window [don't select a specific file in there] and select "send to desktop (as short-cut)"). [/quote]

Well... i cant find that "Open Download Cache" anywhere. I've tried in chrome and firefox :(

So, what should i do to get it there?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:53 am 
On Probation

the correct method is..

1. right click on the divx player and select 'preferences'..
2. select the 'download cache' tab, there you will see an 'open cache folder' button..click it!!
3. a folder will open and the streaming file will be seen there..
4. to stream it via VLC player, right click on that .part file, select 'open with..'
5. select VLC player from the list of programs and click OK
6. a pop out window will appear requesting to repair the file..select 'DON'T REPAIR'
7. sit back, relax and enjoy while your video plays.. :D

this method is used when you are using the IQS to stream your video..

there is also the download method..the tutorial is as below..

1. let your browser download the file..you can stream this file while downloading..
2. open the folder containing the downloading file..it will have the name '.crdownload'..smtg like that..
3. right click on the file and click 'open with'..
4. select VLC player and let it play...
5. VLC player will prompt ya on whether to repair the file or not..select 'DONT REPAIR'..
6. enjoy the video while it downloads..

hope this clarify things and helps ya in watching your video.. :P

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]