Is this legal??

Mostly praise goes here. And anything icefilms or scene related that doesn't fit anywhere else. NO REQUESTS. NO TECHNICAL ISSUES. NO ideas or feature requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Topic Author
DAV1D
meh

Is this legal??

Post#1 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:18 pm

Hey I really enjoy using this site, best video site ever. But i'm concerned about one thing. :(

Everytime I watch a video, a PART file is automaticaly created, A folder called DIVX Videos appears in my videos and automaticaly creates a PART file of the video i was watching, when i click on it the video plays on my PC on VLC media player, so I'm kind of worried now, is this illegal?? I'm hoping it's not. Hope to hear some good news.

Lem
Heart on for IceFlims

Re: Is this legal??

Post#2 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:30 pm

It's Skynet keeping track of you. And Skynet only creates .part files in the folders of machines in which they plan on taking over. Your screwed.

ImageImageImageImage

Shalmainia
Overachiever

Post#3 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:34 pm

DAV1D wrote:Hey I really enjoy using this site, best video site ever. But i'm concerned about one thing. :(

Everytime I watch a video, a PART file is automaticaly created, A folder called DIVX Videos appears in my videos and automaticaly creates a PART file of the video i was watching, when i click on it the video plays on my PC on VLC media player, so I'm kind of worried now, is this illegal?? I'm hoping it's not. Hope to hear some good news.

The .part files are created by divx as you have your divx settings set to do that... ie storage.
Donate to IceFilms today!

Signature by TMRKD

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no soverignty where we gather." A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, John Perry Barlow

Wineinger
Heart on for IceFlims

Post#4 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:38 pm

This site is 100% legal for it does not host any of their files on site, all files are found on 3rd
party sites.

Topic Author
DAV1D
meh

Post#5 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:43 pm

OK great thanks for the info, but is it illegal to have the .part files on the pc or do you need to delete it as soon as you've finished watching??

Shalmainia
Overachiever

Post#6 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:45 pm

DAV1D wrote:OK great thanks for the info, but is it illegal to have the .part files on the pc or do you need to delete it as soon as you've finished watching??

If your worried about such things, I would suggest deleting it. You can change your divx settings to stop storing movies on your computer all together, just take a look.
Donate to IceFilms today!

Signature by TMRKD

"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no soverignty where we gather." A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace, John Perry Barlow

Topic Author
DAV1D
meh

Post#7 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:52 pm

yeah i think i will, i don't want to end up with the police at my door for something my computer did, so i'll turn it off. Thanks for the help.

Omen
Sex Robot

Post#8 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:23 pm

hehehhehehehehehe LOLLOLOLOLOL

>:)

:P
Blood Mode: [On] Off

Image*sig by PiraCee

macxtc
Out of work journalist

Post#9 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:34 pm

I see what your up to Omen.....

Andy.
meh

Post#10 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:06 am

You won't have the police at your door for watching some movies or even downloading them you know

uFAIL
meh

Post#11 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:53 am

I wouldn't worry about it, the RIAA isn't going to track down your ip address out of the millions sharing movies or music (i don't like to use the word illegally, too harsh and uncalled for , for this situation) The RIAA and MPAA only go after the sites that provide ex: torrent sites. They only go after people when they download or "share" a ridiculous amount of copyrighted material just to make an example of them. Though you should delete the .part files after a while anyway because over time they take up space on your hard drive,

By the way like my sig just made it in GIMP took me two whole hours
GIMP is awesome. so is ice

Skywolf111
code of Deez

Post#12 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:42 pm

Here is the dirty little secret about what is illegal and what is legal. You can download as much as you want. DOWNLOAD Every movie you possible can and you are still not breaking the law. It is once you start distributing that you can get in trouble. Ice Films is great because it just allows you to get to those distributors without actually distributing itself or making you distribute yourself. Other networks such as Bear Share or Lime Wire once you download the program then allows other people to download from you (unless you turn it off). People get fined because they are then letting people upload from them.
It is basically the same thing if you went to blockbuster, rented a movie and copied it on your computer. That itself is not illegal. It is only when you start giving it out to your friends or selling it that it becomes a naughty thing to do. SO DOWNLOAD MY FRIENDS!!! DOWNLOAD TO YOUR HEARTS CONTENT!!! but don't let others download from you.

Neoxthexone
Average User

Post#13 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:00 pm

^Well said :D
Image Image

Skywolf111
code of Deez

Post#14 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:33 pm

Thank you.

skeletor