It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:04 am

Forum rules

1. PUT AS MUCH INFO AS YOU CAN IN THE SUBJECT LINE (for example: Gabriel source 7 plays upside down).

2. PUT PAGE URL & SOURCE# IN MESSAGE BODY WHEN REPORTING LINKS. EXAMPLE

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: DivX player crashes my browser..
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:59 am 
Insomniac

Whenever I try to use the DivX via proxy, it crashes my browser after entering the captcha. I use Maxthon v. 1.6.7. for my browser (I don't like any of the other browsers out there, so please don't suggest changing browsers.)... Never did this before, only had this start happening since Ice went back up, and nothing has changed on my comp.

[color=#00FF00:27pncvq7][b:27pncvq7]Am I doin' it right, Mista J?[/b:27pncvq7][/color:27pncvq7]

Post subject: Re: DivX player crashes my browser..
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:33 pm 
Heart on for IceFlims

I cannot replicate the issue at the moment as I cant connect to anything through the proxies. I tried maxthon and despite not actually managing to connect to any movie it didn't crash after entering the captcha. DO you have the divx webplayer version as recommended by this site? It should be v1.4.2.7.

If all is present and correct I would suggest to download the movie you are interested in. This is by far the easiest solution. It is possible with the work going on on this site that this issue may be solved in time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:20 pm 
Insomniac

Yup, I have that version of the player. I was trying to watch a series... don't really want to have to resort to downloading it all, especially cuz my evil monopoly of an ISP limits bandwidth to 60gb/month and I download A LOT.

I even tried the greasemonkey script and the DivX still causes the browser to crash and close.

[color=#00FF00:27pncvq7][b:27pncvq7]Am I doin' it right, Mista J?[/b:27pncvq7][/color:27pncvq7]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:40 pm 
Heart on for IceFlims

thing is if your streaming your downloading anyway. there is no difference between streaming and downloading as far as bandwidth is concerned. so if your keeping within your bandwidth allowance with streaming then you may as well download the episodes as its no different. Except that you wont have all the other issues.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:48 pm 
Insomniac

I know, I just generally prefer to use the player instead of having waste time downloading them all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:47 am 
Heart on for IceFlims

I have searched for you and it seems that most webplayer crashes are either codec related or proxy related. Codec issues are solved by uninstalling all codecs deleting their folders and re installing. The reason why codecs cause so many problems is apparently even when you update them they leave old bits behind so you fill up with obsolete clutter.

The other issue can be addressed this way. Editing the registry needn't be scary but make sure you edit the RIGHT entry. If this doesnt work you can just set it back to what it was.

Start -> regedit

open:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001

change the value to 0 using regedit .

so it shows :

"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000000

restart and you should be back up and running again..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:25 pm 
Insomniac

ProxyEnable is already set on 0. :\

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:03 am 
Heart on for IceFlims

Apart from the fixes I posted the other major issue relating to webplayer crashes are codec conflicts. I would try to un install all codecs apart from the divx webplayer and see if the problem persists. Then I would add codecs that I knew had no mp4 component (like the ac3 codec for example). Then slowly add the rest testing the player with each one.

Another thing is maybe try other versions. Here are links to older versions of the divx pack Unfortunately i cant find links to just old versions of the webplayer.

http://www.oldversion.com/DivX.html

But tbh If I had this issue Id just download and watch locally on my PC.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:07 pm 
Insomniac

Thing is... nothing has changed on my end. There is no reason it shouldn't work. It only started after Ice went back up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:28 pm 
Heart on for IceFlims

Basically I've searched all over the net for this and other than what I posted I cant think or find any other solutions. Im aware the site changing made the GM script not work but it really should have no effect on the webplayer as far as I understand how it works.

I would suggest trying the webplayer out on other streaming sites but due to the forum rules cannot actually link you to any. If the webplayer crashes on these other sites then it isn't a issue with this site. If it only crashes here then it could be. Make sure if you try it out on other sites that they use divx streaming and not flash. Many sites only use flash.

Another issue would be to see if it works with the GM script rather than using the proxies which are not the recommended way to go. But this would mean at least for test purposes using another browser. Greasemonkey is available for IE, Firefox, Chrome.

Testing this would show whether the issue is with the proxies on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:50 pm 
Insomniac

Trying it with the GM Script was my first attempt to fix it. Still didn't work. As soon as I enter the captcha, the browser closes.

Tried another webplayer elsewhere, it worked just fine. It seems to just be anything on icefilms that won't work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:39 am 
meh

i have the exact same problem. can't watch anything on icefilms, it'll crash :(
tried everything.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:24 am 
meh

I just re-installed Windows and am now having this or a similar problem. Every time I try to watch a video with the DivX player, it buffers to 100%, loads the first frame of the video with grey bars scattered across the bottom half of the frame, then crashes and closes Firefox. I had no codecs installed so I went ahead and installed the codec pack I was using for over 6 months with icefilms working perfectly and the problem still persists. It's driving me nuts not being able to figure out what is causing it. Before reformatting, 1 day ago, everything was working fine on icefilms.

EDIT
I'm having this problem on all sites, not just icefilms so it may be unrelated to the topic.

EDIT 2
FIXED! OK, so I overlooked the fact that I used to use 1.4.0 Beta 2 and NOT the 1.4.2 Beta 2 version linked on the homepage of icefilms. I uninstalled the newer version and then installed the older version and everything is working fine now. You can download 1.4.0 b2 from http://labs.divx.com/node/248 just ignore the strike-through as the links are still clickable. Maybe that might help you?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:30 pm 
Insomniac

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the 1.4.2 shown on the main page, but still crashes my browser after entering the captcha and letting it load. :\

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:27 pm 
Insomniac

Interesting enough, I downloaded the AVI codec pack from here: http://megarelease.net/codecs/ and it seems that has fixed the problem. Didn't need to uninstall at all, just installed the pack and streaming works fine now.

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next