Please stop using hosts that recompress videos

Mostly praise goes here. And anything icefilms or scene related that doesn't fit anywhere else. NO REQUESTS. NO TECHNICAL ISSUES. NO ideas or feature requests.

Moderators: Omen, Rasa

Topic Author
ZJX
no0b

Please stop using hosts that recompress videos

Post#1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:34 pm

or if you do don't opt-in to this.

First off thank-you to the uploaders for uploading the videos - This site wouldn't be here without you.

But please know that that certain hosts like Openload or FileUpload recompress all video files they recognize to make them smaller and lower quality.

You might have uploaded say a 1.3 GB video, but the next day (or maybe just hours later) that video will have been recompressed to 420 MB and the quality will now be far worse.

Please help preserve the quality of videos by either uploading them to other hosts that do not recompress or opt-out of the recompression.

Openload states "The maximum file size is limited to 1 GB. Your files can be up to 10 GB without any restrictions if you let us convert them."
Given that wording I'm guessing you can opt-out of recompression as long as you don't upload files larger than 1 GB. A 1 GB'ish video that have not been recompressed looks far better than a 200 to 500 MB video that have.

A trick I've seen other sites using is to still upload large files and allow for files to be recompressed, but only upload files that the filehost does not know how to recompress.
Download sites typically use .rars but I don't know what video formats would not get recompressed - you will have to experiment.

narcolepticinsomniac
Average User

Re: Please stop using hosts that recompress videos

Post#2 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:40 pm

FileUpload doesn't re-compress files. All the others currently being used do. Hosts which support larger file uploads, and still allow free downloads with reasonable speeds aren't all that easy to come by. They've tested a few recently, which all had server issues and folded within months. At any given point, there's a lot of them out there, but they come and go, so most aren't all that reliable in terms of links remaining good for any reasonable amount of time.

Also, a lot of people prefer re-compressed videos because the quality is still watchable on a fairly large screen, the hosts are more reliable, and downloads tend to be way faster. Personally, I prefer Openload for most TV episodes, and larger MKVs for movies. All depends on the content really. Watching some sitcom, the picture and sound quality is a lot less important than if you're watching some Scifi or Action video with lots of special effects.

The point is, both serve a purpose. Having only one option for uncompressed files is not ideal. I suggested a new one the other day in another thread. Having multiple options for compressed files is a good thing though. Openload is pretty reliable, but they comply with takedowns, so links don't stay good forever. The more options, the better.

Return to “General Discussion / Feedback”